Page 1 of 2
Didnt know where to put this.

But has everything been done in music? Like standard chord progressions are beaten to death..
there's 7 billion people on the earth and hundreds of millions (possibly billions) of them are musicians, so..has or will everything that can possibly be written, be written one day?

thoughts?
Sorta. Anything that 'sounds good' has harmonically been done.

Inb4superficialbullshitaboutgenreblending
Check out my band Disturbed
Nah, that's why we got timbre. You have 12 notes, but an infinite amount of colors.

EDIT: This reminded me of the time my English teacher told me that every book's theme could be traced back to the "Allegory of the Cave."
Last edited by Skullivan at Mar 7, 2014,
Quote by captainsnazz
lel narrow views of what comprises music

to be honest, so much of this.

Even if we have discovered and used all the chord progressions, why is music restricted to using those? Can't music exist outside of chord progressions?
No.
1) Timbre and tone
2) Different people approach the instrument in different ways. Individually will always come through ones playing (phrasing, use of techniques as well as overall genre and so forth)
3) Ask yourself what constitutes music

You don't necessarily need original chord progressions to write original music.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Mar 7, 2014,
nope. Its becoming harder and harder to be original everyday, but we are far from everything being done.
banned
It always shocks me when I hear people claim that everything "tonal" has already been composed. There are still endless possibilities even for tonal music. Just think of all the possible combinations of melodies, rhythms and chord progressions. It is unlikely that we will ever see all possibilities exhausted before human extinction.

And then, of course, there is "new" music, which pretty much eliminates any musical boundaries. So, depending on how you personally define music, almost anything could be considered music.
The reason for lack of originality and decline in creative things like music, games etc if lack of imagination.

You guys can answer this, because i was an 80s kid..do kids say 8 years old still sit and play with action figures for hours, or play sports and pretend to be michael jordan or whatever?

Guitar is very one dimensional and most learn the same old tunes and cliches. There are very few artists with their own voice e.g. allen holdsworth, but as said there are infinate sonic possibilities.
Last edited by alienholdsworth at Mar 7, 2014,
Quote by That Old Geezer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAcjV60RnRw
You might find this of interest in relation to your question.

Damn! I came here to post that.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Quote by alienholdsworth
The reason for lack of originality and decline in creative things like music, games etc if lack of imagination.

You guys can answer this, because i was an 80s kid..do kids say 8 years old sit and play with action figures for hours still, or play sports and pretend to be michael jordan or whatever?

why would you play with action figures when things like playstations and netflix exist
I don't think we'll "run out" of material. I think the way we play and our style of music will change into something new
"Breasts the size of watermelons" is what Moses said to the Egyptians
Quote by soundgarden1986
why would you play with action figures when things like playstations and netflix exist

i had an NES and a vcr, but still used imagination and played with toys. seriously have you never played with toys as a young kid?
As long as someone comes along every few years and makes something as left-field as this the answer is no (even though some wouldn't consider this music).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b8IAIYYnRo
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
No because the things that haven't been done you can't conceive because you are not a musical genius who comes I'll with these things.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
No, clearly not. New songs are written every day that don't sound like ones before. Even formulaic music that sticks firmly within a genre is rarely a complete repeat of an old song.
Quote by captainsnazz
it's funny cos i'm listening to karl pilkington right now

didnt know he was a bouncing fan
Quote by ChucklesMginty
There are 9,979,200 possible tone rows.

Serialism is the only way forward.

lol
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
It always shocks me when I hear people claim that everything "tonal" has already been composed. There are still endless possibilities even for tonal music. Just think of all the possible combinations of melodies, rhythms and chord progressions. It is unlikely that we will ever see all possibilities exhausted before human extinction.

There can be minor changes that haven't been exactly done before, but you won't find a general concept in tonality that hasn't been done. Why do you think composers started abandoning it in the 20th century? They just felt like it?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by alienholdsworth
i had an NES and a vcr, but still used imagination and played with toys. seriously have you never played with toys as a young kid?

kids will play with toys no matter what, the toys might be more technologically advanced now, but it still counts as a toy and playing

would you say that kids in the 800's were much more creative and imaginative because they all played with rocks and sticks, they didn't have toys at all so surely they would've been much more creative and imaginative?

stop assuming that kids today are bad, and that you and your generation are/were better
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by StewieSwan
There can be minor changes that haven't been exactly done before, but you won't find a general concept in tonality that hasn't been done. Why do you think composers started abandoning it in the 20th century? They just felt like it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "general concept" but if you look at modern jazz as an example (which for the most part is completely tonal), there are still extremely creative melodies being written over new chord changes. They often involve seamless changes in tonal centers, which is a huge part of jazz, but are still tonal nonetheless. Just because something doesn't adhere to western classical rules of harmony and tonality, doesn't mean it's not tonal.
Quote by mulefish
No.
1) Timbre and tone
2) Different people approach the instrument in different ways. Individually will always come through ones playing (phrasing, use of techniques as well as overall genre and so forth)
3) Ask yourself what constitutes music

You don't necessarily need original chord progressions to write original music.

This, basically

Unless you set out to sound specifically like something/someone else, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to come up with something new
I have nothing important to say
Let's just use guitar as an example. There's an almost infinite number of note combinations possible on guitar, and that's just in melodies. Add in chords, progressions, etc. ...yeah, we're not running out of music on the guitar...EVER.

And that's just guitar. Expand that idea to the almost infinite amount of physical and electronic instruments. There's no way we're EVER running out of music!

Your problem, TS, is that you look at a modern trend and go, "It all sounds the same". Yes, what's your point? Trends are not a good indicator of whether we have "run out of music".
Page 1 of 2