So right now I'm learning the basics for guitar. My dad is big into guitar and asked me today what musical genre/style I was going to learn.

I really wasn't sure how to answer that because I want to play so many different genres/styles. I like Rock, Blues, Bluegrass, Folk, Funk, Jazz, etc. I even like some EDM music and its sub genres like Nu-Disco or Nu-Soul/Funk.

I guess what I am asking is, what should I do if I want to focus on so many different styles and genres? Do I just learn them one at a time?
A lot of those are pretty similar, learn the blues because it's the starting point for all that so that's your first stop
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
I would suggest to focus one the style you feel like learning the most right now. Unless you like them all equally, but then again I don't see the problem with just picking one of the styles you mentioned and start with that?
baab
Quote by My Last Words
I would suggest to focus one the style you feel like learning the most right now. Unless you like them all equally, but then again I don't see the problem with just picking one of the styles you mentioned and start with that?

True. But how would you know when to add a new style? So it doesn't get too overwhelming.
At the end of the day when the time comes to start writing your own music all of your influences and learned styles are going to come out in your playing, whether or not you realize it. If you spend your first 5 years playing exclusively jazz for example, when you start writing music it's gonna sound like jazz. If you play a bit of rock, reggae, funk and some blues then you're music is gonna sound probably like those 4 genre's combined.
I don't even know where i'm going with this haha..
Just learn whatever you want. If one day you want to play jazz and one day you want to play metal then just do that. Whatever makes you happy do it, and don't force yourself to play something you don't want to. Your guitar isn't going to be going anywhere, so you have the rest of your life to try a whole variety of music.
I guess what I am asking is, what should I do if I want to focus on so many different styles and genres? Do I just learn them one at a time?

You can learn them however you like, what I suggest is that you spend your time working on the basics of guitar playing. Strong basics are a huge advantage in every style and will make you very flexible.

Timekeeping
Strumming
Picking
Chord knowledge
Eliminate excess tension from technique
Bends and vibrato

If you're good at all that, you're good at guitar and it'll be easier to adapt to any new style.
If you're just learning the basics and self teaching then don't start off with picking exercises or music theory. That's a big mistake I feel guitar teachers make when teaching kids when they first start.

The most important thing is you are playing music that you really enjoy listening to and enjoy playing, but keep it simple to begin with so you're not disheartened.

I see a lot of people who get taught the guitar and get bored with the exercises and theory because that's all they get taught and feel they can't play anything else. At the end of the day you should want to pick up your guitar to play, not dread having to learn another mode or refine your picking technique.
You'll gradually pick up techniques while learning songs anyways and once you feel you can play a couple of basic songs you enjoy then you can move on to more theory based learning.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Last edited by ProgFripp74 at Mar 7, 2014,
Quote by CJGunner7
A lot of those are pretty similar, learn the blues because it's the starting point for all that so that's your first stop

+1 - start with blues.
Ok thanks for all the feedback!

Right now I'm learn Friend of the Devil by the Grateful Dead. I'm having a tough time with the strumming though. No matter how much I focus, I can't hit just the four high strings only. I always strum up a little too far and **** up the sound with the A string.

How do I work on this? Or is knowing how far to pick or where each individual string is something that only comes with tons of practice?
Quote by Max727
So right now I'm learning the basics for guitar. My dad is big into guitar and asked me today what musical genre/style I was going to learn.

I really wasn't sure how to answer that because I want to play so many different genres/styles. I like Rock, Blues, Bluegrass, Folk, Funk, Jazz, etc. I even like some EDM music and its sub genres like Nu-Disco or Nu-Soul/Funk.

Practice what you like! There are no limits to your potential and your passion for music.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here
I agree with all of the above posts. I didn't want to limit myself when first learning so anything that had a fun guitar part, I would learn, regardless of the style. I then had a realisation at a gig one night, that several techniques had infiltrated my playing subconsciously and I wouldn't dream of going back and limiting myself to one learning one style.
I wouldn't worry about genres too much at the beginning, just find a load of songs you like and learn them. I think you will eventually find your interests are going in a particular direction, but the broad groundwork will serve you well if those interests change later in life.

All aspects of playing are mostly a question of practice, and recognizing what you are doing wrong. - This is where a teacher or coach can be a big help. And make sure that the guitar has a good set up.
If you want to play multiple genres, play multiple genres!

If you want a really thorough understanding of harmony you can apply broadly, learn jazz or classical. They are highly institutional styles, so there's a lot of standard repertoire and tons of educational resources. Plus, the theory you'll learn applies easily to rock, blues, bluegrass, metal, etc.

Playing authentically in any one style is entirely a matter of practice. Having a solid understanding of harmony will make it a lot easier to pick up the details, no matter what style. You can most definitely be a "jazz guitarist" and also sound good playing country or hard rock. Lots of professional players can do multiple styles, even if they have one that they specialize in.
I'd be a little careful about spreading yourself too thin. Having a comprehensive skill set is good, but you also want to have a concentration or an area where you're able to build some expertise. A niche, if you will.

If you like all those styles, definitely learn them, but I'd pick an area and focus that you're particularly good at and make it your primary musical pursuit.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com