Hi,

I'm a hobby player, playing at home stuff like Amon Amarth, All That Remains and the likes.
I'm a bit unhappy with the sound I get from my 75W Vypyr. It's TOO loud, at volume of 4+ the sound just distorts into a hissing trebbled mess and the feedback is unstoppable. In addition I just can't come anywhere close to the deep growling tones Amon Amarth produce nomather what I try.

I'm buying a 1W Blackstar HT Metal 1H head so I can run a Metal Muff through it and see if that is any better. Any recommendations for what Cabinet I should buy for it?
Quote by Xioinor
Hi,

I'm a hobby player, playing at home stuff like Amon Amarth, All That Remains and the likes.
I'm a bit unhappy with the sound I get from my 75W Vypyr. It's TOO loud, at volume of 4+ the sound just distorts into a hissing trebbled mess and the feedback is unstoppable. In addition I just can't come anywhere close to the deep growling tones Amon Amarth produce nomather what I try.

I'm buying a 1W Blackstar HT Metal 1H head so I can run a Metal Muff through it and see if that is any better. Any recommendations for what Cabinet I should buy for it?

That would almost certainly not be any better than what you currently have.

1 watt amps can still be very loud, the Vypyr has a volume knob for that reason. What guitar are you running, what are your settings? It could be user error as to why you're not getting a decent sound. No offense.

If you're still sure you want something else, please fill this out and we'll give you some better suggestions.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
That would almost certainly not be any better than what you currently have.

1 watt amps can still be very loud, the Vypyr has a volume knob for that reason. What guitar are you running, what are your settings? It could be user error as to why you're not getting a decent sound. No offense.

For 'All That Remains' I'm using a Schecter Blackjack SLS with Active Seymour Duncans.
For 'Amon Amarth' I'm using an Agile Interceptor Pro 727 with EMG 707's.

I use .13 - .60 strings on both.

The volume knob on the 75W Vypyr is mostly useless, anything higher than 1.5 is way too loud for home use in my opinion. After 4 the speaker itself starts distorting and breaking up.

Budget? - Probably under $1000 for the cabinet.

Genres? - Metal. Amon Amarth, Trivium, All That Remains, Still Remains, sometimes Amorphis when I'm feeling lazy.

New or Used? - New. Used is impossible to find in Norway.

Home or Gig? - Home. Bedroom.

Closest City? - Order all from internet.

Current Gear? -
Schecter Blackjack SLS with Active Seymour Duncans.
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 with EMG 707's.
Peavey Vypyr 75W
Does the $1,000 include the budget for the amp as well? I wouldn't recommend the HT1 if you're in that kind of price range. I would definitely look into the Laney IRT15 and either a small 1x12 with a V30 in it or possibly one of those Haryley Benton 2x12's with the V30's which are pretty well priced.

You can run them real quiet as well as having the ability to crank it up nicely every now and again.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Hi, thanks for the answer again.

$1000 is only for cabinet.

I've been looking around a little and considering either a 1x10" Engl E 110 or a 1x12" Blackstar HT-112 Cabinet, since we are talking about a single Watt. Any opinions on those?
Um, are you reading any of my comments? What is it about the HT1 you like so much? $1000 is a lot to drop on a single speaker cabinet and I wouldn't recommend either of those, especially if you're only running a HT1 through it.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I like that HT1 is 1W, small, simple, not too many knobs, and its cheap in Norway.

The cabinets i linked and those you recommended all cost in the $250 dollar range here in Norway(everything is expensive here), so the price is a non-issue. By $1000 i meant I would be willing to spend up to $1000 on it. However I don't know how much a 1W can power and what would sound best on a 1W.
Leave the HT-1 alone, it sucks and does not have a tru EQ which will not be good for what you want.

The Laney IRT15 is a great suggestion and is much better than the HT series
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^^ yeah, though it doesn't do lotsa stuff and it doesn't sound good.

As for the cabinet, there's no real difference between playing through one with a 1w or a 100w amp nor there's something specifically designed for small amps that has something different from the stuff designed to handle bigger stuff.
I'd get a mesa recto 2x12 or an orange ppc212 (or 1x12 equivalents if you don't have the space).

Anyway, you don't want a cab, you want a new amp, and that's not the amp I'd choose for what you want to do at all, nor is the amp I would choose for anything, really.

For that money see if you can find yourself a used Vypyr Tube 60 combo.
Or since you're in europe, a jet city - thomann sells them for dirt cheap.

And, a question if you may:
you said the vypyr was too loud to get the volume past 1,5.
Now, why in the world would you feel the necessity of getting anything's volume past 1,5 is the volume's fine under that level?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Leave the HT-1 alone, it sucks and does not have a tru EQ which will not be good for what you want.

The Laney IRT15 is a great suggestion and is much better than the HT series

Thanks for the suggestion, definitely looking into it.
Any idea how it compares to an Engl E 315?
The price tag on both is identical here in Norway while I've honestly never heard of the Laney before I've heard many great things about Engl.

Quote by Spambot_2
Anyway, you don't want a cab, you want a new amp, and that's not the amp I'd choose for what you want to do at all, nor is the amp I would choose for anything, really.

For that money see if you can find yourself a used Vypyr Tube 60 combo.
Or since you're in europe, a jet city - thomann sells them for dirt cheap.

And, a question if you may:
you said the vypyr was too loud to get the volume past 1,5.
Now, why in the world would you feel the necessity of getting anything's volume past 1,5 is the volume's fine under that level?

I wasn't thinking just a cab, I was thinking new amp AND a cab!
I find Jet City's but no Thomann. Call me superficial but I really don't like the way they look. I just can't force myself to use my money on that.

About the Vypyr Tube, there's nothing used here in Norway. People either want almost new price for it or it doesn't exist.
As New it's so expensive i'd rather consider other stuff in the price range.

Regarding the Volume, I notice the Amp's sounds only "opens up" when the I crank the volume above 3 or 4. It still sounds good on 1,5 but it's just not powerful. But at 4 it's so loud it's deafening. That's why i want lower Wattage, so i can crank it up while still having low volume.
Last edited by Xioinor at Mar 7, 2014,
I have no experience with the Engl, I say go try it out and see what you think.

The Jet City's are excellent amps, but I agree they don't look that great. Most people swap the front and back panels for asthetic reasons
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Xioinor

Regarding the Volume, I notice the Amp's sounds only "opens up" when the I crank the volume above 3 or 4. It still sounds good on 1,5 but it's just not powerful. But at 4 it's so loud it's deafening. That's why i want lower Wattage, so i can crank it up while still having low volume.

About the Volume issue.
People run 120watt tube heads at TV level volumes and still get great tones out of them. Dont let the whole "1 watt will be quiet and great tone" because honestly the HT1 is a bag of shit.

Laney's get the studio ironheart, much better than the 15 watt head.

Cant comment on the engl though.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Lots of thoughts here.

First of all, lets clear this up.

Is volume a problem where you are? Do you need to keep the amp quiet, or does it not matter? Do you want to play loud? (Like actually loud, above TV volume)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Carrot
About the Volume issue.
People run 120watt tube heads at TV level volumes and still get great tones out of them. Dont let the whole "1 watt will be quiet and great tone" because honestly the HT1 is a bag of shit.

Laney's get the studio ironheart, much better than the 15 watt head.

Cant comment on the engl though.

Also has the advantage of being able to be used as an audio interface and a reamp box, iirc?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Offworld92

First of all, lets clear this up.

Is volume a problem where you are? Do you need to keep the amp quiet, or does it not matter? Do you want to play loud? (Like actually loud, above TV volume)

I live with other people so I don't want it very loud. Audible but not annoying.
I also don't like playing at high volumes.

The other thing is I don't want an amp that I can only run on 1/10 volume. Having more than 30W or even 15W for a bedroom amp for me feels like buying a Ferrari for city driving.
Buying a 1w amp would be like an e350 for city driving - 1w amps are not really quiet.
They are quieter, but they still aren't really that quiet.
Plus, small amps are usually either featureless or overpriced or bad sounding or any combination of the three.
So, people usually buy amps basing their decisions on the features instead of the wattage, because the power is 9 times out of 10 too high to be fully used.

I personally love ENGL - the powerball II is the best sounding amp I've ever tried.
The gigmaster?
A bit meh if ya ask me.
I mean it doesn't sound bad, but I wouldn't buy it for the price.
If you wanted an ENGL for that stuff I'd look at the fireball.
Or a used powerball/powerball II/ironball if you could find it for a decent price, though you probably wouldn't be able to find that good of a cab if you spent the money needed to buy an ENGL.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Buying a 1w amp would be like an e350 for city driving - 1w amps are not really quiet.
They are quieter, but they still aren't really that quiet.
Plus, small amps are usually either featureless or overpriced or bad sounding or any combination of the three.
So, people usually buy amps basing their decisions on the features instead of the wattage, because the power is 9 times out of 10 too high to be fully used.

I personally love ENGL - the powerball II is the best sounding amp I've ever tried.
The gigmaster?
A bit meh if ya ask me.
I mean it doesn't sound bad, but I wouldn't buy it for the price.
If you wanted an ENGL for that stuff I'd look at the fireball.
Or a used powerball/powerball II/ironball if you could find it for a decent price, though you probably wouldn't be able to find that good of a cab if you spent the money needed to buy an ENGL.

I'm in the UK so Engl Fireball prices aren't that bad, got mine for £450 when I had it, I've seen them go for £450-600 though, which would be enough for a decent 2X12 though.

Not sure on European prices or if this helps out or anything but!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Xioinor
I live with other people so I don't want it very loud. Audible but not annoying.
I also don't like playing at high volumes.

The other thing is I don't want an amp that I can only run on 1/10 volume. Having more than 30W or even 15W for a bedroom amp for me feels like buying a Ferrari for city driving.

This is a misconception.

There's nothing really magical you're getting whether you're turning up to 1 or turning up to 5. At least, not on most modern amps anyway, especially for the genres you want to play, you don't want poweramp breakup for that.

Your problem is a physics problem, and it's one that you just can't really do anything about.

There's no magic happening in arbitrarily turning up the volume knob - the magic is in the air being moved. The actual volume level itself is the magic. Getting an amp with a smaller power section isn't going to give you that magic at lower volume. That's not what's going on, and not how it works. Every amp will sound better when it's turned up. That's just the way it is.

Don't get a tiny amp for the sake of cranking it. 1) you won't be able to crank it. I have a tiny amp, a 6W 1x12 VHT combo. It can keep up with a drummer. It is painfully loud. In the past, I have mainly owned huge 120W Peaveys (ValveKing, 5150, JSX, 6505). They are also painfully loud. There is no real noteworthy potential loudness difference between a 6W amp and a 60W amp or a 120W amp even. The wattage describes the feel of the amp, and how and when the power amp breaks up. For the tones you want, again, you DON'T want that to happen.

So that said, for the sounds you want I highly highly recommend a Peavey 6505+ 112. You'll need a couple pedals to go with it and make it work for you.

1) A tubescreamer type pedal. I am a huge fan of the Digitech Bad Monkey for getting the job done on the cheap.

2) Some kind of volume control. An EQ of some sort is the best way to go about this, because you can really kill two birds with one stone - getting an EQ for the amp, which can make it sound way better, and lowering the volume in the loop, which makes the amp totally tame, controllable, and great sounding at talking & TV volumes. The MXR 10 Band is the industry standard EQ. I don't know if you can get them where you live, but if you want to spend a lot less and you aren't rough with your pedals, I am also quite fond of the Danelectro Fish & Chips. The housing is plastic and not super durable, but the insides are extremely well designed, considering the price. Very quiet relative to most EQs.

As always, Youtube is your friend. Listen to as many amp demos as you possibly can.
I don't recommend the Laney Ironheart. It sounds like a half ass attempt at a 6505 alternative to me. Emphasis on the half ass. The 6505 low mid kick isn't there.

Engls are okay, but you have to make absolutely sure you like it before you get it. They have a very distinct character with a high mid stiffness that a lot of people don't get along with.

The Jet City JCA50 might work, it's a cheaper Soldano Hot Rod clone(ish). Iffy about this one, I usually don't recommend them for stuff as heavy as you want to play, but I have heard some people able to coax those tones out of them.

Blackstar is a joke. Don't bother unless you're looking at Series One. Even then, S1s are not good for the sounds you want.

Listen to your own ears though. Youtube.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Laney IRT15H and a 1x12 or 2x12 is a great suggestion. Forget this low power HT-1 nonsense. The IRT will sound fine at the volumes you want, much better than a shitty little HT-1 - and it will do the deed when you want to jam with your friends. You've got some money to spend, buy something good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the jet cities look like ass, granted.

they're also super cheap and really, really nice amps for the money. you can't have everything, i suppose

the engl gigmaster isn't all-tube, as far as i'm aware. maybe i haven't read the thread right, but you seem to be going round the world for a shortcut to get stuff which isn't really suitable for what you want for pretty superficial (at best) reasons. I mean, it's your money and your call and all, but that's how I see it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ am I the only ****in' one that likes how Jet City's look?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
yep
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?