the names of a couple of Em chords confuse me. Is Em9 different from Emadd9?

And which chord is this one: 022002?
Well, I asked my guitar teacher the same question. Emadd9 is Eminor - e g h - but you replace the "g" by a "f". But, in your case, it could be Eminor 1 - 3 - 5 - 9 without replacing the 3rd note. But i suppose it's an act of replacement.
Yes. The Em9 contains the root, third, fifth, seventh and ninth (E-G-B-D-F#), while Emadd9 doesn't have the seventh (E-G-B-F#). The chord you asked about, 022002, is Emadd9, it's notes are E-B-E-G-B-F#
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Quote by almedin.candic
Well, I asked my guitar teacher the same question. Emadd9 is Eminor - e g h - but you replace the "g" by a "f". But, in your case, it could be Eminor 1 - 3 - 5 - 9 without replacing the 3rd note. But i suppose it's an act of replacement.

This is very, very wrong. The E chord which substitutes the G for an F is the Esus2 chord (E-F#-B). Emadd9 adds the ninth, it does not replaces the third with it.
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Quote by mrkeka
This is very, very wrong. The E chord which substitutes the G for an F is the Esus2 chord (E-F#-B). Emadd9 adds the ninth, it does not replaces the third with it.

You're right!
thanks, thats pretty clear.

Another question, dont want to spam you guys with new threads: a song in the key of D (or Bm?) has a C chord in it...how do you write it down in the roman numbers? It is not the vi, right?
^Yes add chords don't replace anything, it's easy to remember: Add - you literally just add a note to the regular chord and the number represents the interval. You can just count to it by playing the scale if you want. A sus chord has a "replaced third" - sus2 sus4, those are the same notes as in (add)9 and 11 but an octave lower.
Quote by fanapathy
^Yes add chords don't replace anything, it's easy to remember: Add - you literally just add a note to the regular chord and the number represents the interval. You can just count to it by playing the scale if you want. A sus chord has a "replaced third" - sus2 sus4, those are the same notes as in (add)9 and 11 but an octave lower.

Octaves have nothing to do with it. Both 024000 and 022002 are Emadd9 chords. The difference is in the construction of the chord: the 9 and add9 chords are built in stacked thirds, therefore made of root, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, so the intervals are named in the order in which they are placed. On the sus chord, the 2nd or 4th are placed before the 5th. So it has nothing to do with octaves or voicings, but rather the construction itself.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by almedin.candic

You should get a new guitar teacher. If you replaced the 3rd (G), the chord wouldn't be minor or major anymore.