Hi guys,

I have amp: Laney cub 15W tube amp.
genres: Rock (queen, pearl jam, eric clapton, blues)

When I play in max volume (10 in the knob) the sound is amazing!
but when I play in low volume (3 in the knob) the sound is different, not the same warm and feel. I know that is beacuse of the nature of tube amps.

1.My question is, I usually play in low volume but I want to have a rich sound, as close as possible to the rich sound i get in max volume, how can I do this?

2. If I turn on the amp 1 hour before I`m playing will this help?

3. do you advise me the switch to other amp (solid state/transistor) that dont have the ratio between volume and quilty? does sound of a solid state amp in low volume is better then the sound of tube amp in low volume?

please help.
Last edited by nadabometal at Mar 7, 2014,
It's because you are pushing the power tubes into distortion. Short of adding an attenuator, your best bet is to just push the preamp harder with a boost pedal. It won't be the same as power tube distortion but it will get you a bit closer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ that.

Plus, speakers in general sound better when they push more air, so an attenuator will help but I don't think you'll get exactly there.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Any of you guys have luck using dimmer switches? I've been wondering about that
Israel is a terrorist state.
I read that attenuator works well in volume 6-7 (insted of using max 10 volume) so I understand that in low volume 3-4 it will not make some different.

but,
1. In high volume only the distortion sound better (beacuse of the amp satoration)? or also the clean sound is better?
2. Can I get better sound in low volume by using some effect pedals?
3. Can I get better sound in low volume in transistor amps?
Quote by Cathbard
It's because you are pushing the power tubes into distortion. Short of adding an attenuator, your best bet is to just push the preamp harder with a boost pedal. It won't be the same as power tube distortion but it will get you a bit closer.

you're probably using od and boost pedal interchangeably, but i'd get an od on the basis that using it as a boost may still be too loud, and if it is, you can use an od's built-in overdrive instead.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Doesn't your amp have a low power input (I mean, aren't there two inputs, one of which says 15W and other that says 1W)? Use that.

Also experiment with different volume and gain levels.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 7, 2014,
yes I have 1 watt input but I have noticed that in 15 watt I get a better sound in low volume than 1 watt in high volume.
I've got my head stuck in a cupboard and my brain hurts.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have no idea if this works for your amp but can you remove some of the power tubes to lower the volume but still get them to break up? Definitely research this before trying.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
I have no idea if this works for your amp but can you remove some of the power tubes to lower the volume but still get them to break up? Definitely research this before trying.
It won't. It's an A/B amp with only two tubes. It has a low power mode to do what you are talking about instead.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It won't. It's an A/B amp with only two tubes. It has a low power mode to do what you are talking about instead.

It has two types of tubes but overall its 4 tubes.
The other two are preamp tubes, the amp will stop emitting sound if you removed one of these in every one channel amp.

The tubes you would be removing are the power tubes, but the thing wouldn't really work since, again, this is a 2 tubes A/B amp.
Check the wikipedia article about amps if you fancy that so you can get some better ideas of how the things work and why that wouldn't.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
That ^
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A 15W tube amp... no chance.
Get a Yamaha THR or something like that.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here