Hey Guys!

I had posted a related thread some time back.

I have this guitar competition coming up and there's a guitar solo competition. Half solo piece and half improv.

I've never improvised live before. Sure, I do it all the time when I'm at home but I don't have a panel judging me at home.

So, tips?

Would it be fair to work out some riffs before and use them or should I trust myself on stage? I play at an intermediate level..

EDIT: I know myself better than you so I won't trust myself to play too well on stage. Being at home is much less stressful.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
Last edited by shawnkenneth at Mar 7, 2014,
It would be more than fair to come prepared and rehearsed.

Do your best to not be nervous. Think of it like "Well, I'm already up here, I can't leave, I might as well blow em away." It's not a big deal once you're on stage a few times.

Do you know what kind of progression you'll be improvising over? If you do, you shouldn't leave anything to chance and pretty much compose something. It's still going to be your material, no one can tell you anything.

If the improvisation backing track is a surprise, I would try to:
1. Predict the style of it based on your judges choices in music, etc
2. Practice the most common guitar-friendly keys Em, Am, etc.
3. Cover both minor and major scenarios.
4. It'll most likely be some kind of pentatonic related piece.

Can't really think of anything else, but good luck.
Quote by one vision
It would be more than fair to come prepared and rehearsed.

Do your best to not be nervous. Think of it like "Well, I'm already up here, I can't leave, I might as well blow em away." It's not a big deal once you're on stage a few times.

Do you know what kind of progression you'll be improvising over? If you do, you shouldn't leave anything to chance and pretty much compose something. It's still going to be your material, no one can tell you anything.

If the improvisation backing track is a surprise, I would try to:
1. Predict the style of it based on your judges choices in music, etc
2. Practice the most common guitar-friendly keys Em, Am, etc.
3. Cover both minor and major scenarios.
4. It'll most likely be some kind of pentatonic related piece.

Can't really think of anything else, but good luck.

Thank you! That first line is really useful.

The track will be given a few moments before we get on stage. So we'll be given time to get familiar with the track.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

No problem. Every musician comes prepared in some way or another when they "improvise" imo.

Just be aware of all the chords going on. I'm sure it'll be really easy, and I'm willing to put money on the fact that it will be pentatonic friendly. Most guitar improv situations are.

I'd say do your best to get familiar with it, like play out the progression several times so you know it on the inside.
TS can you identify the key of a song just by listening to it?

If I was in that situation I'd try to build musical themes that I can refer to and expand upon to make the improv sound more like a song rather than needless jerking off.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
TS can you identify the key of a song just by listening to it?

If I was in that situation I'd try to build musical themes that I can refer to and expand upon to make the improv sound more like a song rather than needless jerking off.

Yes, I can easily get the key.

I was gonna do the same thing. It will lend a beautiful touch.

Thanks for the advice!
Quote by slapsymcdougal