Either you have to be susceptible to these kinds of "beats" or it's placebo, I've tried many different tracks like these and the effect is always non-existent.
I use them as a white noise, I don't think that they in themselves do anything, but it's soothing and easy to listen to as a white noise so I use it to block out other noises.
Quote by macashmack
I use them as a white noise, I don't think that they in themselves do anything, but it's soothing and easy to listen to as a white noise so I use it to block out other noises.

i don't think you white noise
Quote by severed-metal
Dan Barrett had an album that had something to do with binaural beats.

http://gilescorey.bandcamp.com/album/deconstructionist

But that's really all I know about them. I haven't listened to the album before.

Taken from a reviewer on RYM who's spot on:

Yeah, this was pretty much the biggest waste of an hour and a half ever (actually more like hour and 20 minutes since I decided there was no idea finishing it at that point). Assume that Dan has actually come to some kind of understanding about binaural beats, and knows how it affects the brain, and how to apply it - he puts those beats as a basis, and then puts a bunch of shit on top of it. The thing is, that shit is the exact ****ing opposite of what you want when you're supposed to be affected by binaural beats. There are climaxes and a lot of tension all around, being distracting and direct stimulus, which is what you want to avoid. There's even a god damn ****ing speech in the second track, which requires attention to follow. Not only that, but all this crap vastly overshadows the actual frequencies we want to hear the most. It's ridiculous.

There's a reason most (all?) "real" binaural recordings just have simple harmonies playing on top of the frequencies, and that's because you want to induce as much deprivation of stimulus as possible; the music itself is just there because a lot of people will get too bored with listening to just the frequencies alone.

And then there's the entire thing where I don't believe these to be genuine binaural beats either, or Dan has completely misunderstood the concept. It's especially apparent at the end of track two and during track three, that the beats are pulsating a lot, and at different frequencies. At first I thought "Oh okay, maybe he's just changing the difference in frequency or something", but no, these pulses are played separately in each headphone. It's not an effect of the binaural beat frequency difference, it's some shit he decided to do with it for who the **** knows what reason. Possibly because he doesn't understand binaural beats at all, and confused it to be "wobbling frequencies", although the essay to some point would refute this.

In short: Mediocre essay and "listening instructions" suggest sensory deprivation, music itself directly contradicts concept. Skepticism regarding validity of (these particular) binaural beats. Shit experience, would not redo.

Bonus
Do you want an actual sure-fire way of inducing some hallucinations, in the same way this is supposed to but fails to for anyone who isn't a gullible twat? It's really simple: deprive yourself of visual and auditory stimulus as much as possible, preferably also touch but that's a bit more difficult. Tape a pair of ping pong ball halves over your eyes and cover them with a blanket or whatever (it's important that you can keep your eyes open, while not receiving any light), play white noise and lay down in bed. You'll be experiencing things (Or as Dan would so eloquently put it "a trance") in five minutes or so.

They won't work without sensory deprivation, and even then, it's arguably the sensory deprivation doing that. As much as I like HANL, Dan Barrett has a tendency to spout Hunter-Hunt Hendrix levels of bullshit prose when constructing his little booklets.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Mar 7, 2014,
Quote by willT08
you learn what white noise is

How are binaural beats not a form of white noise?
Quote by macashmack
How are binaural beats not a form of white noise?

white noise is 1 thing
The only sensation I get from that is a reminder that I have tinnitus and the ringing in my ears is more enjoyable then any of the 5min variety of those "beats" I just listened to. If I am going to 'feel' my music I am going to play metal (my music of choice) at high volumes and get confused if the double bass is my heart beat or not.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
I have for the last year. I suffer from stress and these help. Really i just to be in the alpha state all the time. i generally slow myself down, eg speech and if i get someone all beta in my vicinity ill just slow them down. Ilisten to music slowed down, and also take herbal supplements like st johns wort and valerian root.
Last edited by alienholdsworth at Mar 7, 2014,
Quote by alienholdsworth
I have for the last year. I suffer from stress and these help. Really i just to be in the alpha state all the time. i generally slow myself down, eg speech and if i get someone all beta in my vicinity ill just slow them down. Ilisten to music slowed down, and also take herbal supplements like st johns wort and valerian root.

Do you use magic water to cure cancer too? cause if you drink water with a low pH it balances out your body chemistry and you won't get cancer.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by Banjocal

Yeah, this was pretty much the biggest waste of an hour and a half ever (actually more like hour and 20 minutes since I decided there was no idea finishing it at that point). Assume that Dan has actually come to some kind of understanding about binaural beats, and knows how it affects the brain, and how to apply it - he puts those beats as a basis, and then puts a bunch of shit on top of it. The thing is, that shit is the exact ****ing opposite of what you want when you're supposed to be affected by binaural beats. There are climaxes and a lot of tension all around, being distracting and direct stimulus, which is what you want to avoid. There's even a god damn ****ing speech in the second track, which requires attention to follow. Not only that, but all this crap vastly overshadows the actual frequencies we want to hear the most. It's ridiculous.

There's a reason most (all?) "real" binaural recordings just have simple harmonies playing on top of the frequencies, and that's because you want to induce as much deprivation of stimulus as possible; the music itself is just there because a lot of people will get too bored with listening to just the frequencies alone.

And then there's the entire thing where I don't believe these to be genuine binaural beats either, or Dan has completely misunderstood the concept. It's especially apparent at the end of track two and during track three, that the beats are pulsating a lot, and at different frequencies. At first I thought "Oh okay, maybe he's just changing the difference in frequency or something", but no, these pulses are played separately in each headphone. It's not an effect of the binaural beat frequency difference, it's some shit he decided to do with it for who the **** knows what reason. Possibly because he doesn't understand binaural beats at all, and confused it to be "wobbling frequencies", although the essay to some point would refute this.

In short: Mediocre essay and "listening instructions" suggest sensory deprivation, music itself directly contradicts concept. Skepticism regarding validity of (these particular) binaural beats. Shit experience, would not redo.

Bonus
Do you want an actual sure-fire way of inducing some hallucinations, in the same way this is supposed to but fails to for anyone who isn't a gullible twat? It's really simple: deprive yourself of visual and auditory stimulus as much as possible, preferably also touch but that's a bit more difficult. Tape a pair of ping pong ball halves over your eyes and cover them with a blanket or whatever (it's important that you can keep your eyes open, while not receiving any light), play white noise and lay down in bed. You'll be experiencing things (Or as Dan would so eloquently put it "a trance") in five minutes or so.

They won't work without sensory deprivation, and even then, it's arguably the sensory deprivation doing that. As much as I like HANL, Dan Barrett has a tendency to spout Hunter-Hunt Hendrix levels of bullshit prose when constructing his little booklets.

I remember reading that review a while ago.. perfectly puts my views on the whole subject

EDIT:
Quote by DamienEx1021
The only sensation I get from that is a reminder that I have tinnitus and the ringing in my ears is more enjoyable then any of the 5min variety of those "beats" I just listened to. If I am going to 'feel' my music I am going to play metal (my music of choice) at high volumes and get confused if the double bass is my heart beat or not.

.. Jeesus
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Last edited by CrazyMatt at Mar 7, 2014,
Quote by Banjocal

Bonus

They won't work without sensory deprivation, and even then, it's arguably the sensory deprivation doing that. As much as I like HANL, Dan Barrett has a tendency to spout Hunter-Hunt Hendrix levels of bullshit prosewhen constructing his little booklets.

You, I like you.

On subject, we covered this in my uni course for a lecture and we all kind of agreed that it was the audio equivalent of an optical illusion i.e. bit rubbish really. Whatever supposedly 'positive mental effects' that beats are claimed to cause cant really amount to much more than a placebo effect. Its like the whole 432hz thing, somehow sound has this magical connection to our brains and causes all kinds of nonsense chemical reactions. Barely testable assertions
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Some kids at my last college did an experiement where they had people listen to binaural beats and some pop song while taking a test. They wanted to see if the binaural beats had any effects on memory and test scores.

I never got the results but they did say that so far most people are doing better with the beats.
Quote by DamienEx1021

Dude... That's deep.
Quote by EpiExplorer
You, I like you.

On subject, we covered this in my uni course for a lecture and we all kind of agreed that it was the audio equivalent of an optical illusion i.e. bit rubbish really. Whatever supposedly 'positive mental effects' that beats are claimed to cause cant really amount to much more than a placebo effect. Its like the whole 432hz thing, somehow sound has this magical connection to our brains and causes all kinds of nonsense chemical reactions. Barely testable assertions

studying the affect on the brain listening to music tuned to 432 compared with 440 sounds fairly testable
I listened to one called Gates of Hades while I was on acid. I felt like I was dying and being tortured in hell. But that was most likely the acid.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by willT08
studying the affect on the brain listening to music tuned to 432 compared with 440 sounds fairly testable

Not when its been tried and nothing was found the next closest thing to 'publicly available research' is an insane video where a guy taps a tuning fork on a glass of water, dips it in, sips it and says it tastes better. I even tried researching an article on it for UG a while back, no solid scientifically tested data other than using a 'cymatascope' (or something) to reach the literal conclusion that 3 is the magic number.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Use them to fall asleep or to aid in meditation
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I think any affects these are supposed to cause are total bullshit.

Lavender town's binaural beats are accepted by a lot of idiots, where the gameboy's mono speaker/sound can't even produce them. It's a lot of placebo affects.
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 7, 2014,
man this takes me back to like 10th grade when people were talking about that idoser thing all over the place
I love it when someone considers something a placebo effect, they immediately call it a load of bullshit because of it. As if the fact that it is a placebo effect automatically makes it illegitimate to use and that everyone who uses it should be shunned.

It's little understood atm, but ASMR does have effects outside of placebo.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 7, 2014,
I've tried this type of stuff a few times. Like, the ones that are supposed to make you have crazy dreams or make you feel like you're floating. Just fell asleep every time and dreamed about nothing, just like any other time.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by alienholdsworth

banned