Hi everyone,

I was thinking about making an extension cab for my Traynor YGM-3 combo as a summer project. I want the cabinet to be relatively close in size to the YGM-3, so I was thinking a 4x8 would be a good choice, with 8" Jensen ceramics.

However, would a 4x8 extension cabinet make the sound more dynamic and loud? Or would it not even make a difference? Should I just go with a 4x10?

What do you guys think?
Quote by EpiLP9
Hi everyone,

I was thinking about making an extension cab for my Traynor YGM-3 combo as a summer project. I want the cabinet to be relatively close in size to the YGM-3, so I was thinking a 4x8 would be a good choice, with 8" Jensen ceramics.

However, would a 4x8 extension cabinet make the sound more dynamic and loud? Or would it not even make a difference? Should I just go with a 4x10?

What do you guys think?

i have to warn you, for the most part this is a completely subjective question that will depend on music and tonal preferences rather than objective knowledge.

i will try to address some objective/technical issues:

- 8 inch speakers will severely limit your options as to what speakers you can run. in fact the only 8 inch speakers i can think of off hand are either old-style jensons (or jenson copies) or really cheap beginner speakers. choosing 10" speakers would give you many more options, though not nearly as many as choosing 12" speakers

- the type of 8 inch speaker available will be best at making mid-range/vintage rock tones or some clean tones. heavier tones will not be best served with these smaller speakers

-using smaller speakers has a very different feel from the larger 12" speakers. expect a snappier response, possibly more headroom, and less low end response. once again, not the best for heavier tones

as far as being 'dynamic and loud', that will depend. the speakers are rated with a 'sensitivity' rating, this is a quantitative description of how loud the speakers are. as long as the sensitivity is somewhere about ~97 dB then they should be loud enough (most guitar speakers are rated around 95 to 100 dB). the 'dynamics', i couldn't say. you'd need to play it to find out.

imo smaller speakers can sound pretty stiff and some people really don't like that. the 4x10's i have played sound significantly different from 12" speaker cabs i have played, so i'd expect a very different response from a 4x8. i can't comment on whether you would like it or not.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
i like 15" speakers, i think they give a nice big full sound. quite a few options out there too.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
It's a 12" combo. Make a 1x12. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. What 12" speaker? Well, need more info. What sort of stuff do you play?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If it were me, and if this were going to be a project, I'd build the Mesa Theile cabinet (closed back, slot ported), put an Eminence Delta Pro A 12" speaker in it and then add a Motorola-type 1165N piezo tweeter with an L-pad control in its own box. Lower lows, higher highs.
http://rawoods.com/?page_id=221
Quote by Cathbard
It's a 12" combo. Make a 1x12. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. What 12" speaker? Well, need more info. What sort of stuff do you play?

I mostly play Pink Floyd, Jeff Beck, Beatles, and a little jazz. Just bluesy classic rock stuff. Usually clean with a little grit.
A greenback type speaker would be fine. The Eminence GB128 is a 50watt greenback type speaker and really inexpensive at $75 new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Gilmour famously used Fane Crescendo speakers in those WEM cabs. But yeah, something greenbacky would do the deed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Gilmour famously used Fane Crescendo speakers in those WEM cabs. But yeah, something greenbacky would do the deed.

Do you think that a 1x12 extension cab with a greenback in it would move more air and make the sound better? Because the amp only has a crappy Marsland 12" alnico; which sounds flabby at high volumes. What do you guys think about Jensens? IMO they're good sounding, and they're cheaper than Celestions.

Overall, I'm looking to have a small extension cabinet (now I'm thinking a 1x12) to hook up to my combo to move a little more air, and make the sound louder, more dynamic, and still have portability. Really what I'm saying is; would a 1x12 make a big difference? Sorry if I'm getting annoying.
Yes adding a 1x12 extension cab will make a pretty big difference.

I would look at either Eminence speakers like this one which is a nice Greenback type speaker and it is 50 watts
www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/eminence-legend-gb128-50w-guitar-speaker
or this WGS green back that is 25 watts www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/warehouse-guitar-speakers-green-beret-12-25w-british-invasion-guitar-speaker or this one that is a 50 watt speaker www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/warehouse-guitar-speakers-invader-50-12-50w-british-invasion-guitar-speaker
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes adding a 1x12 extension cab will make a pretty big difference.

I would look at either Eminence speakers like this one which is a nice Greenback type speaker and it is 50 watts
www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/eminence-legend-gb128-50w-guitar-speaker
or this WGS green back that is 25 watts www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/warehouse-guitar-speakers-green-beret-12-25w-british-invasion-guitar-speaker or this one that is a 50 watt speaker www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/warehouse-guitar-speakers-invader-50-12-50w-british-invasion-guitar-speaker

Thanks a lot! This is a big help.