Good day !

I seem to be having an issue with my guitar . The neck is set up properly , the strings are intoned properly , but all the low chords ( the ones that contain the thickest string ) are a little bit off . All the other chords are perfectly in tune . The thick string is intoned properly .

It is essential to mention that this happens when my guitar is in Drop C tuning .
I haven't played standard or D tuning in a very long time , but as far as I could remember , I didn't have this issue .

I can't seem to explain it . I know how to bar chords , that's not the issue . Even the C power chord is off , and I'm not pressing any frets when playing that .

I took it for a setup at the local guitar shop but it didn't do it much good . Actually , it didn't do any good at all ... I could have set up the guitar better .

The guitar is not an average guitar , it's a pretty good one , the KH-602 , so I am expecting it to perform well.

Any advice?

Kind regards ,
Andrew
Did you do your intonation while in Drop C?

I'd check that, first.

How floppy is that thickest string (you didn't mention the gauge)?
And remember that if you have a Floyd (assuming) and if your action is slightly high, and if you press down one string, the others may go slightly flat. Is your Floyd set up correctly when you're in Drop C (baseplate horizontal to the guitar)? How many springs do you have on the thing?
The KH-602 is floyd equipped. Like dspellman said, make sure it's still set up. If you downtuned without readjusting the claw screws, the bridge is probably tilting back. Other option would be blocking it, but then you can't use the trem.

The tech may not have been familiar with floyds.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Yes , it was intoned while in Drop C . The action is slightly high , nothing passed the standard 2mm distance from the 12th fret. When initially set up , it was buzzing like hell , because the action was low...I had to raise it slightly , after which I intoned it again .

It's a 010 to 056 , 7 string set , Ernie Ball , all new ... Took the second thickest string out , the 46 .

As I said , the problem is only with the thickest string . The string is perfectly intoned , as the other strings . When I play chords on any other strings , they are perfectly in tune . I imagine that if the floyd adjustment was at fault , more strings would have this issue .
How are you tuning? By ear or by a tuner. If so what tuner. For instance cheap clip on tuners and phone app tuners arent always that acurate, especially on lower tuned electrics
Another thing to keep in mind is to tune down past the note and then up into it. If ur nut isnt lubricated the winding on the lower strings can get caught in the nut and then when u fret it you pull the string flat
EDIT: But if u have a floyd then its probably a locking nut so this wont apply to you
Last edited by mugzy384 at Mar 7, 2014,
Quote by ultimate_sound
Yes , it was intoned while in Drop C . The action is slightly high , nothing passed the standard 2mm distance from the 12th fret. When initially set up , it was buzzing like hell , because the action was low...I had to raise it slightly , after which I intoned it again . I imagine that if the floyd adjustment was at fault , more strings would have this issue .

No to the last; Floyds work in mysterious ways <G>.

That said -- a too-high nut will cause buzzing in the high (above the 12th fret) frets when you lower the action. I wouldn't call 2mm a "standard distance" from the 12th fret (I have guitars that have action of around 1/16th" at the 24th fret. 2mm at the 12th is pretty high in my book. If you have buzzing at that distance from the 12th fret, you have a serious need for an accurate setup and it's not an intonation issue; it's a case of the fretted note going sharp and/or the other note going flat.
The tuner is the one on my Line 6 POD

Quote by dspellman
No to the last; Floyds work in mysterious ways <G>.

That said -- a too-high nut will cause buzzing in the high (above the 12th fret) frets when you lower the action. I wouldn't call 2mm a "standard distance" from the 12th fret (I have guitars that have action of around 1/16th" at the 24th fret. 2mm at the 12th is pretty high in my book. If you have buzzing at that distance from the 12th fret, you have a serious need for an accurate setup and it's not an intonation issue; it's a case of the fretted note going sharp and/or the other note going flat.

But what could be the issue ? The neck is well set-up , it's intoned correctly . As far as I understand , buzzing is OK if you don't hear it through the amp . The thickest string is buzzing on every fret.