Hissing + Static + 8 Bit Tone

So I picked up a scarlett 2i2 today and installed the drivers etc from the website, plugged it in, opened up reaper, applied a few LePou plugins and tried to get a nice tone. All I've managed to achieve is an extremely loud hissing/white noise static and an 8 Bit almost synthesised guitar tone... It's the sort of sound you get when you put 15 different distortion pedals in front of a peavey 5150 cranked to 10 everything. Completely unusable at this point, anything obvious I'm missing?
Last edited by Viscerus at Mar 8, 2014,
Yeah, you're missing LeCab and an impulse response of your choice.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
So do I just add LeCab to the FX Chain? I've never even looked into impulse responses, there's probably a sticky about them on here though. Thanks
Okay so the hissing and static goes away and returns to a clean sound as soon as I apply LeCab, then I add an impulse response and it comes back I've run through a lot of the 'god's cab' IR's and they all have the hissing, I have no idea what else the problem can be...

Edit: I just added the noisegate and it kills the static when I'm not playing, but if i so much as rest my fingers on the strings it brings it back, as though they are hyper sensitive or something, also if i play with the noisegate the same harsh sizzling static smothers everything as usual.
Last edited by Viscerus at Mar 8, 2014,
An audio sample will be helpful here.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
An audio sample will be helpful here.

Alright I'll try put together a sample.

I'm probably missing something really obvious so if you could point me towards a good tutorial on how to get all this working that'd be good, I've never done this before -(obviously)
https://soundcloud.com/viscerus/reaper-test

Part 1 - Completely plain, no FX whatsoever.

Part 2 - TSE X50 (Peavey 5150 Model)

Part 3 - TSE X50 (Peavey 5150 Model) + LeCab 2 (IR - SM57 Grill_Cone_Far_Pres_2)

Part 4 - NoiseGate + TSE X50 (Peavey 5150 Model) + LeCab 2 (IR - SM57 Grill_Cone_Far_Pres_2)

It sounds a lot more harsh in the pre rendered version, which makes me think it has something to do with volume levels in reaper.

The noises at the end are me barely touching the strings (nowhere near enough to make a noise through an amp, especially one with a noisegate, they are super sensitive for some reason)
At this point, the noise seems to me caused by the non-ideal conditions of the p/up's and cables and pre's.
At this point, fiddle with fx and setting and stuff and practice with production a bit and you'd be able to get an at least decent sound out of your rig.

Aaaand, the "super sensitive"ness of the strings is probably caused by that quantity of gain.
When(/if) you'll be double tracking the thing, use less gain and you should be allright.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
At this point, the noise seems to me caused by the non-ideal conditions of the p/up's and cables and pre's.
At this point, fiddle with fx and setting and stuff and practice with production a bit and you'd be able to get an at least decent sound out of your rig.

Aaaand, the "super sensitive"ness of the strings is probably caused by that quantity of gain.
When(/if) you'll be double tracking the thing, use less gain and you should be allright.

Just for the sake of including all info, I'm playing an EMG 81 in an ESP Guitar, Cables have no issues running through my amps so I'm not sure why they would work any differently through the interface, the harsh static remains no matter how much gain I have dialled in; though with the noisegate it's noticeably reduced, so maybe i'll just tweak that a little.

Something that didn't show up in the sound clip is, in part 1 where I have absolutely no FX applied, the monitored sound and playback in reaper sounded overdriven and distorted whereas the final product sounds completely clean...very confused..
I didn't mean to say some of our stuff is faulty, I meant no p/u nor cable nor wire is ideal, and everything produces static, so you (and I) gotta live with that

And, since the clean sound in the soundcloud clip doesn't have a lot of hiss, it's probably caused by the amp sim's gain amount.

The problems you have when listening to the thing in real time (or playing it) may be caused by a too small audio buffer, so try going in the audio driver's settings and making it bigger.
It will cause more latency, so you may not want to use a big buffer when recording but since it may cause problems with what you're hearing it may be good to use a bigger one for mixing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
If you look at the waveform from before you put the amp sim on you'll see the noise is already there, you're only noticing it more because of the higher gain of the amp sim. It's most likely just normal analogue noise that is always there from all sorts of things (that's what it sounds like to me) but you're not used to noticing it because I'm guessing you don't have an amp like the ones your simulating.

As for the string sensitivity thing, it is definitely a gain/compression thing (distortion works like compression). Just do what everyone else does and gate it. Play with the settings a bit, especially the Hysteresis (I think I spelled it wrong but you'll know the one) setting in ReaGate. What that does is allow you to increase or decrease where the noise gate actually closes, relative to when it opens. e.g. if I set the gate level to -10 and the hysteresis to -5 then the gate will open at -10, but won't close again until it drops below -15. That allows you to set it higher without missing anything, so that those bare touches don't peak the gate, but your first pick will and then it will stay open until you stop playing.
Quote by chatterbox272
but you're not used to noticing it because I'm guessing you don't have an amp like the ones your simulating.

I own a 6505+ and you do get the loud static etc when it's cranked past 2, but as soon as I turn my NS-2 on it all goes away, and you definitely don't get a massive white noise sound imposing itself over the top of your tone either.

I've downloaded Ableton Live 9 that came with the 2i2 and I've managed to get a tone I can at least start to look at EQing with no noticeable latency, the stuff I had going on in reaper wasn't something I could just EQ out, it was completely unusable, I'm still getting a bit of a weird muddy/fizzy tone in Ableton but I think that's from the IR's that I'm using, at least I can play around with some different Ampsims and IR's now.