So I have a POD xt multi effects processor, and my amp has an input that reads OVERDRIVE PEDAL. I know a lot of people that use pedals, so my question is, what kind of sounds can I get from an overdrive pedal that I can't really get from my POD? Is my POD a viable alternative to a pedal? Because I usually just find the best sounding distortion settings I can get from my pod (correct me if theres a difference between overdrive and distortion) but if a pedal can give me better sounds than I will most certainly get one.

Thanks
i don't think it is necessary. but many people like their OD pedal and want to use it.

you can get just fine distortion tones without including a OD in your chain.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by diabolical
You probably have overdrive emulations, look in your effect section for something like Tubescreamer, Boss Od-2, etc.

it more or less simulates amps, i mostly use a setting called Spinal Puppet (a line 6 emulator?) and it has pretty decent distortion, I just wasn't sure if I was missing out on anything
Quote by gumbilicious
i don't think it is necessary. but many people like their OD pedal and want to use it.

you can get just fine distortion tones without including a OD in your chain.

is there any specific reason people prefer their pedals, you think?
You're most likely using a patch that has tons of other stuff, amp sims, reverb, other fx. You need to disable all this extra and run just an overdrive if you want to use the multifx unit. You probably have to set the output to "amp".
Quote by goochlord

there could be good reasons, it could be petty reasons.

i have a particular OD i have been using for years, it's rare and i am intimate with it's functionality. i know how to get the tones i want out of it quickly. it's also 2 channel, so it's very versatile.

i also dabble in making and modifying pedals. certain pedals i have made i have customized to my preferences and i want to use them because i have tweaked the equipment to my preference.

these are examples of good reasons to prefer using a certain pedal.

some people will just blindly prefer 'analog over digital' or they may have bought into certain 'mojo-advertising' (this is the pedal Billy Corgan used on Melancholy). they may just want someone to see the pedal on their board.

i consider these examples as poor reasons to prefer using a certain pedal.

i use both depending on what i am doing.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by goochlord

I use a ts9 and a Fulltone OCD and they never leave my board. I kick them on from time to time, and mostly use them when I want my clean channel to have the tiniest amount of bark to it, or when I wanna thicken myself up when the singer takes his guitar off.

The other time I use these pedals are for the rare time when something goes wrong (my JCA just blew its OT, thank god I had these!)

The other times are when my band performs at conferences like NACA or a state wide event thingamabob where they just have you plug into the cleanest fender you ever did see when you're a rock band, or a cover band, or a pop band. It is just safe to have for me.

I actually used a Pod at a show once that was nothing like we expected, just a cruddy bar with the worst backline. but it helped!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify