Anyone have any advice for me? I picked up smoking at another college and I am trying to quit. Whenever I'm in a bad mood or stressed (which happens to be quite often) I first think to turn to smoking. Usually, I would lift or box whenever I was stressed but the college rec center is always crowded which irritates me and there are no boxing gyms or classes anywhere. I went from a pack a week to one cigarette a week (with the occasional hiccups of me smoking 2 or 3 a day).
dont go down cigg by cigg. if you're gonna quit just straight up quit. it's possible

just decide to do it and whenever you get the urge actively destroy that thought.

might help to avoid going out the first 10 days / 3 weeks or so to not come into contact with it when drunk

(im a smoker and gave up for 7 days before i realised i didn't want to quit but i like it.) but if you're gonna quit, just go cold turkey on it, don't take it step by step becaue that's not going to work.

GL

(the first 2-3 weeks should be the hardest, after that I assume it's quite alright.)

I'll have to remember this post for whenever I'm gonna quit myself and read this and realise how easy it is lol.

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Buy an E-Cig that has nicotine-less cartridges. Quit regular smokes entirely, and use the E-Cig whenever you feel an urge. Just the action of 'smoking' can be enough to curb a craving.
Go sit in a sauna for about an hour so you'll get rid of the nicotine in your body. Then you'll only have to deal with the mental aspect of addiction.
Buy some gum. Every time you want a cig chew some gum.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Get an E-ig, dont think about cigs, when you do get your e-cig and tap it until your good, im not saying it will make you quit but you'll see a positive improvement to not smoking real cigs.
Whats goes around must come down
Quote by Trowzaa
Buy some gum. Every time you want a cig chew some gum.

+1

I do this.

But i only smoke 2 at night, so.
ayy lmao
Yeah at that rate, just cut it straight out. I used to smoke maybe 4 or 5 a day, which still isn't that many but after deciding I'd give it up for lent one day lolrite I just stopped. The first few days are weird and kinda tricky, but you have to convince yourself you actually want to stop and not just think you do. The only reason you get cravings that badly is because your brain is missing something it usually does i.e. smoking at certain times of day or in certain moods etc. Do something else to counter it, and within a week you should find yourself not wanting one.
In fact 3 years on, and just being around someone who is smoking makes me feel ill - went full circle.
You're looking at it the wrong way. You're not quitting anything. Every time you put out a cigarette you've quit. You need to stop starting.

Think about it... what's the benefit? I'm not going to go into all that health crap because you already know it and it hasn't stopped you yet. But seriously... what are the benefits?

Get a copy of "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking". You'll find that it's spot on.

Good luck... I've gotta run out to get some smokes.
Nah a pack a week ain't so tough to quit. Just stop cold turkey.

Jesus, one cig a week is pretty awesome. I'm doing two packs a day now, pack and a half if I watch myself. Treat it like a serious addiction: you're never having another cigarette again. Realize that you don't really depend on them. They don't define you and they're not an activity nor a companion. You don't drink coffee for the cigs.

Also for about a month I recommend no drinking. If you slip up, that doesn't mean that you should go back to smoking. Just realize that these are mistakes. Like breaking up with someone and going back for a night. It's not gonna lead to anything different.

Good luck and drink lots of water
I smoked for ~30 years and managed to quit using the patches. I've been smoke free for almost two years now. You can do it op. My breathing and sense of taste and smell have improved considerably.
Last edited by n2dabloo at Mar 7, 2014,
Take up meth cigs are boring when your on meth.
Last edited by MetalHermit at Mar 7, 2014,
If you are only smoking a couple of cigs a day you are not really doing any damage to your health. Cigarettes are like most things, in moderation they aren't going to harm you. If you like smoking the occasional cigarette then do it.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Like someone said, just smoke weed. It's a similar action and plus it's healthier and does not harm other people or yourself.
if you're already down to a cig a week, cold turkey won't be that hard. once I got down to a cig a week, most of my cravings went away. Sometimes I won't have one for weeks and it doesn't bother me a bit.

(Well, maybe a bit. But really not that bad at all.)
banned
A pack a week is barely an addiction. It really shouldn't be all that hard to just stop dead.
try cold turkey first. if you can do it with sheer will, good for you. you don't smoke that much so i think your chances of success going cold turkey is probably pretty high.

if you can't, go to the doctors and ask for wellbutrin as an aid. it's a fairly easy medication (it has side effects but your unlikely to experience any) and its success rate makes it worth a shot. it won't make you magically not care about cigs, but apparently it helps deal with cravings.

don't use nicotine replacement therapies, you don't smoke enough for that.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Ablast
Anyone have any advice for me? I picked up smoking at another college and I am trying to quit. Whenever I'm in a bad mood or stressed (which happens to be quite often) I first think to turn to smoking. Usually, I would lift or box whenever I was stressed but the college rec center is always crowded which irritates me and there are no boxing gyms or classes anywhere. I went from a pack a week to one cigarette a week (with the occasional hiccups of me smoking 2 or 3 a day).

If you are down to only a few a day you really don't have that much to worry about (assuming your family doesn't have many health problems.) My grandfather smoked religiously for 30-40 years and he is pushing 80. Worst problem he has right now is sleep apnea.

If you just want to out right quit, quit. Remind yourself that it is 'X-dollars' per pack and that after not smoking 20 packs you'll have enough money for something else. Once again if you are smoking a whole pack a week then you really don't have much to worry about. Hell my MD said if the worst I do is smoke a pack in one month then I have little to nothing to worry about.

So if you need one or two smokes after a long day, no big deal. If you find yourself back to a pack a week, just cut back. It is all about everything being in the right dose. Not much of a bad thing, isn't really bad at all.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Cold turkey. It's not as delicious as it sounds but it works.
I quit about 7 or 8 years ago and haven't touched them since. I cant even stand the smell of them now.
What I did was just quit. I avoided drinking for about 3 weeks because that's when I was most likely to start again.
After the filthy nicotine was out of my system it got easier.
After about a month I felt much healthier and realized how much smokers stink (no offence intended). Then after that I was comfortable enough to be able to enjoy a drink with friends again.
You really have to want to do it, and don't use the I'm too stressed I need a smoke bailout.
It's really worth it in the long run.
Hope this helps you.
E-cigs are great, would recommend them.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
dont go down cigg by cigg. if you're gonna quit just straight up quit. it's possible

just decide to do it and whenever you get the urge actively destroy that thought.

might help to avoid going out the first 10 days / 3 weeks or so to not come into contact with it when drunk

(im a smoker and gave up for 7 days before i realised i didn't want to quit but i like it.) but if you're gonna quit, just go cold turkey on it, don't take it step by step becaue that's not going to work.

GL

(the first 2-3 weeks should be the hardest, after that I assume it's quite alright.)

I'll have to remember this post for whenever I'm gonna quit myself and read this and realise how easy it is lol.

This. However its the first three days thats the hardest

Cold turkey is the way forward. When you are out:

Take no money with you
Make sure none of your friends have cigarettes
Do Exercise to fight the cravings

First three days and it eases off, though some days you get the odd craving again. If after a couple of months you fancy one, try it! probably sounds like bad advice, but you will realise how horrible they are when your senses return to normal. I did this and i never fancied one again.
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
Quote by DamienEx1021
If you are down to only a few a day you really don't have that much to worry about (assuming your family doesn't have many health problems.) My grandfather smoked religiously for 30-40 years and he is pushing 80. Worst problem he has right now is sleep apnea.

If you just want to out right quit, quit. Remind yourself that it is 'X-dollars' per pack and that after not smoking 20 packs you'll have enough money for something else. Once again if you are smoking a whole pack a week then you really don't have much to worry about. Hell my MD said if the worst I do is smoke a pack in one month then I have little to nothing to worry about.

So if you need one or two smokes after a long day, no big deal. If you find yourself back to a pack a week, just cut back. It is all about everything being in the right dose. Not much of a bad thing, isn't really bad at all.

Wow, sounds great, thanks. My main concern is that my paternal grandfather died from lung cancer, but I think that was from asbestos