Hey guys, a friend of mine gave me an old Peavy Deuce VT which comes stock with 6l6gc tubes. My question is this:

The amp is older and has a more vintage sound. I play Pantera type music and I'm looking for a sound that'll smash through with a lot of punch and crunch. Is it possible to buy better tubes to get the more crunchy sound I'm looking for? If so, what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!
To get a Pantera-like sound? No, use a pedal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Castle_Jacks
Hey guys, a friend of mine gave me an old Peavy Deuce VT which comes stock with 6l6gc tubes. My question is this:

The amp is older and has a more vintage sound. I play Pantera type music and I'm looking for a sound that'll smash through with a lot of punch and crunch. Is it possible to buy better tubes to get the more crunchy sound I'm looking for? If so, what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Short and long answer is no.

Changing tubes won't get you the amount of gain you need. Pantera was famous for using SS amps anyway so get a good pedal... I think Dime even had his own, dimedistortion. It would probably get you in the ballpark.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
You can hotrod tubes by sticking a variac in front of the amp and running it at a lower voltage. But doing so with a vintage voiced amp will give you an early Eddie van Halen sound, not Pantera.