I am in want of a new amp. This amp will be mainly used for blues/dirty blues.

I am looking to buy used, and can probably go up as high as $500, not really looking to go any higher than that, as this is just a want. Looking for best bang for the buck.

It has to take pedals fairly well, probably not going to look at throwing too much in front of it, except and OD, Fuzz, Wah. Prefer a combo.

I've owned a Classic 30 before and it was a great amp, just looking to see what else to consider. I have heard that the Carvin Bel Air is a great amp as well, but I have not tried it. Thanks in advance for the help, I figure from you guys I should have enough to keep me busy searching.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
you might like the Fender Excelsior, though you could probably get something better with your budget being what it is.
banned
I wasn't too impressed with class 5. I have not spent too much time with the egnater. I know that there is a little bit of gain on tap as well with the egnater, or am I wrong on that? Just wondering, I'm really not looking for gain, but rather grit. I have been looking at the Fender Blues deluxe, vox ac15 and Peavey Delta blues.

So far I'm liking the suggestions. I wouldn't mind having reverb built in either.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
Line 6 M13
Fender Blues JR has a master volume and channel volume. You can run the channel high to get some decent grit or at least a fairly pushed sound. Vox also sounds pretty good. I'd also give another recommendation for the Egnater.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
I owned a Classic 50, really did not like it, but I am always very impressed when I play the Vox AC15s at guitar center. Amazing blues tone to my ears.

If I was to get a new amp for a blues sound, it would definitely be an AC15 or AC30.
My Gear:
Fender Classic 50s Strat
Gibson Les Paul Studio
1977 Marshall JMP 2104
1995 Marshall 1959SLP
Silvertone 1481
Yamaha RA-200
The classic 30 is nice, but 'twer it me, I'd be looking for a used JTM45 or clone thereof. Stick it through a 2x12 loaded with greenbacks. Blues heaven, man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by bobafettacheese
I wasn't too impressed with class 5. I have not spent too much time with the egnater. I know that there is a little bit of gain on tap as well with the egnater, or am I wrong on that? Just wondering, I'm really not looking for gain, but rather grit. I have been looking at the Fender Blues deluxe, vox ac15 and Peavey Delta blues.

So far I'm liking the suggestions. I wouldn't mind having reverb built in either.

They don't make Class 5's anymore anyways, if I'm correct. You would be in the right zone with the Ac15 or blues junior.
For blues, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe + an overdrive pedal would be very nice and fit your budget if you buy used.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
For blues, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe + an overdrive pedal would be very nice and fit your budget if you buy used.

Would not recommend this or the Deville. The bass is pretty bad on these, as are the volume pots. Any time I see one, the bass knob is on 0, and it still sounds too flubby and dark.

If you have single coils, maybe these would be an okay-ish choice. But I'd still say its the worst popular amp on the market.
Beano! Beano!

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cath, what clones would I be looking for by way of the JTM45?

I see the 60 going for pretty low prices sometimes, but I am assuming those are completely different amps altogether. Thats just me lumping it in the same category based on the JTM. I guess thats the lazy equivalent of assuming all JCM amps are the same, which they clearly are not.

OT: I have been GASing for a Vox AC15 for a while now though!
Line 6 M13
The thing is, a JTM45 is really easy to build. If it looks well built it probably is. Ceriatone is a safe bet. I built mine from parts from triode electronics. They do a kit too. Good first amp build if you ask me.
The JTM45's are a pair of KT66's. The JTM50 was the switch to EL34's. They're still a bitchin blues amp though, man. If one's going for a good price, snap it up.

Edit. Some JTM50's had a tube rectifier and some have SS. Both are good but the tube rectified ones are a bit better for blues.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 8, 2014,
I would love to build an amp, but I need to finish my guitar and cab build first
Ill check out the 60 then if they are not that far off. Most of them are around $400 USD.
Line 6 M13
Oh sorry, you said 60, not 50. 60's are shit, run away.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
Would not recommend this or the Deville. The bass is pretty bad on these, as are the volume pots. Any time I see one, the bass knob is on 0, and it still sounds too flubby and dark.

If you have single coils, maybe these would be an okay-ish choice. But I'd still say its the worst popular amp on the market.

I don't agree. At all.

I've used plenty of HDR's with excellent results. They're great amps.
I won't speak about the Deville since my experience with them is extremely limited, but the way you described the HDR just isn't true.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
A Deluxe would be alright - but guys, please, everybody knows Marshall > Fender.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cath, you had me question you for a split second, just a split second though. I have only hear bad things about the 60, which is why you threw me for a loop. The 45 and 50 are a little more than I want to spend, those are more of a "once I save up enough" items.

I have heard a lot of good things about the HRD, what issues are people having with them? I was looking into them a little, I have heard that they take pedals really well.
Line 6 M13
do you have preferences on head / combo, channel switching, etc?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
What about a Tweaker?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I prefer a combo, but I have a 2x12 and am looking to either build or buy another one, so head is not out of the question. I like the idea of channel switching but am not ruling an amp out because it doesn't have that capability. The Vox not having channel switching is annoying but not a deal breaker.
Line 6 M13
Quote by Linkerman
I don't agree. At all.

I've used plenty of HDR's with excellent results. They're great amps.
I won't speak about the Deville since my experience with them is extremely limited, but the way you described the HDR just isn't true.

Just because you disagree doesn't mean it isn't true. Its a fairly common complaint, that the HRD has a lot of bass. Too much for a lot of people.

It is also fact that the volume pot on the HRD is a linear pot, with a taper designed to jump to super loud before it hits 9 o clock. I remember having to just nudge the volume with an extremely weak touch just to get it to the level I wanted.

Also doesn't help that they label and market that it has a master volume+channel volume when it just has a separate volume for the drive and clean.
I can vouch for the AC30. You don't even need a pedal to get the blues crunch you need. At high volumes or low volumes, don't matter... you get a lovely blues sound. It's stacked with 12 inch Greenbacks (2010 and newer) and it's loud as farse. I own it and I love it. It encourages me to play everyday. I crank it up loud and the sound resonates through my house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I46dnyXXnEw
Last edited by MistaChy at Mar 8, 2014,
I think if narrowed it down to the egnater, which intrigues me because of its diversity, and the Vox. Simply put I have been GASing for an AC for a while. I need to play the Egnater first though, both are roughly the same price point.

Which tweaker though? 15 or 40, assuming the only difference is wattage and head room.
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Mar 9, 2014,
Seeing as how it's only 40W with 6L6's, I'd intuitively think that you could probably load it up with JJ 6V6's like the 15 without blowing anything up. They can't be running a very high plate current I wouldn't think and the JJ 6V6's can take a hell of a beating.

Get the 40. The 40 is a proper two channel amp. You want the 40.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 9, 2014,
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
Just because you disagree doesn't mean it isn't true.

The same applies to you.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I'm well aware that my opinions aren't factual.

You're the one who literally said my opinion wasn't true. And in lieu of that, I even gave some facts and pointed out that it is a pretty common opinion.
Last edited by Guy_Mitchell at Mar 9, 2014,
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
I'm well aware that my opinions aren't factual.

You're the one who literally said my opinion wasn't true. And in lieu of that, I even gave some facts and pointed out that it is a pretty common opinion.

That still doesn't invalidate the fact that my experience leads me to state otherwise.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
So your experience dictates that you're aloud to say my opinions aren't true?

I'm lost.
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
So your experience dictates that you're aloud to say my opinions aren't true?

I'm lost.

Let me help you find yourself.

For starters, aloud and allowed are two very different things.

Second, my experience dictates that what you said about the HRD isn't true.
That doesn't mean that i'm calling you a liar -- it's simply a means of expression. I merely stated the fact that what you said isn't true when compared with my experience. It has the value that it has. I'm just some random guy like yourself, so my opinion has exactly the same value as your own.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by bobafettacheese
I think if narrowed it down to the egnater, which intrigues me because of its diversity, and the Vox. Simply put I have been GASing for an AC for a while. I need to play the Egnater first though, both are roughly the same price point.

Which tweaker though? 15 or 40, assuming the only difference is wattage and head room.

heres all of them demonstrated, but i think i prefer the AC30 myself... might be because i'm biased, but if i didnt have an AC30, the Tweaker 40 would be my amp of choice. In fact, for a road amp, and to be better mobile, My next purchase will be the Tweaker 40 head. When I go to church, I will carry that with me as it beats lugging around 212's. I will keep my AC30 at home.

Rebel 30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LncMYqjmXzs

Tweaker 40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4-E3opiAII
Last edited by MistaChy at Mar 9, 2014,
i recently bought a 15 watt tweaker head, only because it was on sale for 270. (i already have a princeton, a modded SF bassman 50, and a mesa something or other.) and i am abolutely blown away at how great this little amp is. awesome clean tones, awesome driven tones. extremely versatile. you can get the classic fendery, voxy, and marshally tones, but with a little more of that "modern punch" that just helps you sit in the mix at a live show.

edit/ also, i played a hot rod deluxe for a long time. you can def. get some great tones out of it. i loved the clean sounds i got out of it, the drive channel imo is completely useless though. my only real problem with it was that it was constantly breaking down. mine was purchased almost a decade ago though, so the new ones might be much better.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Mar 10, 2014,