Hello,

I just wanted to see what the general opinion on these badboys is
Last edited by Mezo at Mar 8, 2014,
UG doesn't seem to really like active pickups that much. Probably because you can get just as tight a sound with passives.

Of course, there is a rather large negative stigma among experienced guitarists for active pups, mainly because the core people that tend to use them buy BC Rich guitars with a really crappy floyd, run a Boss metalzone through the front of their Line6 Spider (or if they can actually afford it, a 6505), and scoop mids because it gets them "teh brootz". And then doth proceed to sound like my toilet in a live setting.

I've given actives a try, but couldn't bond with the sound of EMGs or SD Blackouts.

Just my two cents.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
I was reading an article today about how actives came out when high gain amps weren't as readily available. I'd say it depends on your amp. I prefer my passive SD Jazz with my 5150 as the amp has so much gain the pickups don't need to overcompensate. What's your amp and the rest of your setup?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Playing with both kinds of pick-ups , I've found that sometimes (depending on the amp) active pups can negate the need for an OD up front.