Hello,

I've been planning to do a fret job, neck scallop and refinishing of my guitar to make it "my" guitar.

1.Fret job is because my guitars frets are basically flat from playing 5+ hours a day.

2.Scalloping is because I want more control over my bends/ vibrato.

3.A paint job because I want it to look more "80's" than the flat black it has on now.

I just wanted to know:

What are the materials necessary for the task?
How long would it take, assuming I don't mess up?(ball park figure, days, weeks, months)
Are there any alternative materials that I can use in case I can't get the recommended materials?
What is wet sanding and all it's variations(wet sanding, dry sanding, wet/dry sanding)?
What order should I go about these things(1,2,3)(2,1,3)?
Will my guitar need intonation after these changes?( I can do a full set up, except intonation)

Random somewhat related info:

I have little to no woodworking experience. I can do basic stuff.
I have no tools other than pliers, a hack saw, allen keys, random screwdrivers and a couple of G clamps.
I need to know the exact materials because I don't want to overshoot my budget
(~$50) on needless crap.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Colour recommendations/ schemes are appreciated. I was thinking of going neon green with all black hardware.
look up Sully's Guitar Garage on youtube he has some great refinishing videos, fret level/crowning.

You will need to find out the radius of the fretboard and then get one of the correct radius blocks from www.stewmac.com (they run $10ish for a wooden one). You will also want a small file to use on the frets.

Scalloping is really easy, use a wood file and go slow so you do not get uneven areas in the scallop.

I can not tell you how long it will take. You may get the frets and scalloping done in a few hours, or it may take you weeks of piddling on it. Painting will take the most time. Watch Sully's guitar garage and he can explain this better than me and give you visual references also.

Your $50 budget should be enough to get a radius block and a file or 2. Paint and sand paper will put you over your budget.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 8, 2014,
Thanks. Few more questions.

Why would I need a radius block? Is it to help with the scalloping or the fret job?

What paint should I use?(bicycle or car or one made specially for guitar)

Would a spray can work?
You need a radius block to make sure the frets are correct (different guitars have different neck radius) or your guitar will never play correct and the frets will never be level. You must make sure the neck is 100% straight before you do the frets or it will not play right.

I use Acrylic Lacquer (auto paint) and yes spray cans are fine. Watch the channel I posted Sully shows how to paint with cans and get a really good finish. He's really amusing also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ for some reason I remember being told to use a radius block

But I have never leveled my frets before so I'd take Explorerbuilders word for it, he knows his stuff
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by darrenram1
Hello,

I've been planning to do a fret job, neck scallop and refinishing of my guitar to make it "my" guitar.

You have guts. Most who attack something like this with little in the way of skills usually make it "my wall decoration."

Fret jobs are something I usually hand off. Refinishing is time-consuming to do well, but you can definitely do it with rattle cans. Scalloping is most easily done with a Dremel Contour Sander. Dunno if they sell them still, but you can usually find one to rent or borrow. It's *Perfect* for scalloping fretboards, and good for other sanding on guitars as well.