Yes, I know that I've started a thread about Tube amps before but now I need some more specific advice.

I did mention before that preferably I wanted an Orange Tube amp because I'm a sucker for that 'British' tone. But then it became obvious that you have to spend a crapload to get a good Orange IMO. Yes, the micro terror looked ok but it's hybrid and a decent sized cab seemed to cost more than a good combo anyway.

I then was reccomended the Laney VC15/30 and I found that I can get a 30 used in my budget. But what about the LC30? I can't find much on it and how does it compare to the VC30. I haven't read a bad review on the VC but the gist I'm getting from the LC is that it's 'alright' but nothing special.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even want a new amp. I want a Tele. But I'm no idiot and I know there is no point in using a nice guitar on a SS amp in the long run so buying the amp first gives me more options later on. I'll also only be able to use a tube amp on weekends as my mum won't allow it but at my Dad's, my room is in the attic so he doesn't mind how loud I play it.

Budget- Under £300 unfortunately. Maybe a little higher but I'm hoping it wouldn't need to be as I don't care about buying new. Used only.

Genres- I play a lot of Indie rock such as AM, Pixies etc but I also do loads of RHCP (which my current gear may reflect that isn't all in the desc.)
However, I play in a psychedelic band which is obviously effects based, therefore it needs to take effects well- ideally an FX loop.

Home or Gig- For now, just at home but I hope to gig in the next few years.

Area- UK but since I'm buying used, local stores shouldn't be important.

Current Gear- Orange 35LDX. As a practice amp it kicks ass but I am repeatedly told to go tube so...

Also a load of effects stuff mainly on my Zoom and a couple of different guitars but like I said- I want to get a Tele.

The amp should ideally have/be able to:
]

Take effects well.

Have decent cleans (I have dirty covered with dist pedals etc.)

Have minimal gimmicks (No onboard effects etc. as I never use them and usually destroys another feature of the amp)

Work well at lower volumes/ be versatile on the volume front.

Not to bothered about a FS but may be useful.

Thanks and I hope I can get some advice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
The VC30 is more like an AC30. The LC30 is richer, thicker and has more balls.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ I'd have said the vc30 was warmer-sounding. the lc30 is almost fendery on the clean channel and has a more modern-sounding od channel. it's like a more modern-style amp. the vc30 sounds more vintage, and the two channels sound more like differing levels of gain than two different amps. i'd have said the vc30 sounded more british.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There is also the Cub 12R of course....

I'm still really stuck on which exact on to get.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I'd have said the vc30 was warmer-sounding. the lc30 is almost fendery on the clean channel and has a more modern-sounding od channel. it's like a more modern-style amp. the vc30 sounds more vintage, and the two channels sound more like differing levels of gain than two different amps. i'd have said the vc30 sounded more british.

This is my impression as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Dave_Mc

Completely agree.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
sweet, i'm not misremembering then. it's ages since i've tried them

EDIT: I haven't tried the cub so I can't help with that one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vc30 has one of the nicest cleans out there, have one myself.

They are not only warm, but not many amps react so dynamically well as this clean channel. Can be played at relatively low volumes.

Overdrive channel sounds considerably better when played loud, but it has very little gain. Think 70's rock bands gain.

Also it's quite a one trick pony amp. Plug it in with EQ equally dialed, and you should like that sound. If not get something else, the EQ is not really a shaping one, rather more to be used to adjust for imbalances

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 11, 2014,