I bought a 40 watt Weller soldering station from the advice of various forums saying that a higher power iron is better to get in and out of jobs quicker. I've used it a couple times now, but I'm not sure where to put the temperature knob. When turning it on, I usually turn it up to 4 to get the temperature up, and bring it down to ~3.1 for the actual soldering. Where do you recommend setting the knob at?

Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah
TC Electronic PolyTune 2 Noir
Joyo Vintage Overdrive
ZVex Box of Rock
Chase Bliss Audio Warped Vinyl
TC Electronic Flashback
Neunaber Seraphim + EXP
Hotone Wally
This sounds OK. You just need enough heat to do the work. Overheating wears tips out faster and under heating makes cold joints. I used to go to 6 at pre start and wind back to 3.5 - 4 for regular electronics to wiring.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Quote by Shelbien
I bought a 40 watt Weller soldering station from the advice of various forums saying that a higher power iron is better to get in and out of jobs quicker. I've used it a couple times now, but I'm not sure where to put the temperature knob. When turning it on, I usually turn it up to 4 to get the temperature up, and bring it down to ~3.1 for the actual soldering. Where do you recommend setting the knob at?

i use mine on 6 for thicker gauge wires (10-18) and 5 for thin stuff.. not sure about your but my 5=500 degrees 6=600 degrees etc.

just get some scrap wire same gauge and practice... remember put the tip under the wire and the solder on top oif the wire and let the solder tip heat pull the melted solder into the wire...