So guys, i got a classic 30 a couple months ago. It sounds really good, i run my disaster transport, octa fuzz, and monarch through it and its greaT. only problem is, i cant get it past 1 1/2 at practice, this thing is just loud. I wanted some head room for cleans and use my monarch for the overdrive, but i cant even open this thing up. Im thinking about selling it and getting an orange tiny terror, maybe run it at 7 watts. would this be a good idea? Bad idea? Were playing a show for a good size crowd tonight so i guess ill see how it fares, then make my decision.
Last edited by ColeFleming at Mar 8, 2014,
30watts is loud, but it is controllable with the volume knob. You can always swap the 12ax7's in the pre amp for some 5751's and that will help a little.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
7 watts will go a long way, especially if you're using a 2x12 or more, but from what I've heard the classic 30 is a great amp. I'd keep it, and as Robbgnarly said, just use your guitar volume knob. IMO, too much volume is always better than not enough...
You may also notice that the volume increase from 2 - 10 isn't as linear as the jump you get from 1.5 - 2
The tiny terror with sensitive speakers will not really be less loud if ya ask me, so I wouldn't get that unless you liked the sound more.
Also, it really depends on the amp how good will it sound at 1/10th of the volume:
a friend of mine's vintage 18orsomething w amp sounds better than my 5w at real low volumes.

And how do you know you "can't get the thing to open up"?
Because it may be that but it also may be caused by the fact that the speakers don't push enough air to you to sound nice and full.
Plus, you'll probably get used to it a bit if you turn up the volume a bit more sometimes - yesterday it was the first day I kept my amp at full volume after months I bought it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you get 7 watt, then you'll get alot less headroom.

And this:
You may also notice that the volume increase from 2 - 10 isn't as linear as the jump you get from 1.5 - 2

I find 30 watt to be managable. Get some earplugs maybe?
You won't see any real volume difference going to the tiny terror. I'd stick with what you have, utilize the volume knob on your pedals to make it more controllable
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Thanks guys, were doing a short jamsession today before the show, ill report back tonight with my findings.
You can put a volume box like this in the FX loop and it will help a lot with getting a better "cranked" sound out of your amp www.voodoomanswitches.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,162/category_id,39/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Someone told me those devices are scam. Anyone ever tried?
Quote by Taz9
Someone told me those devices are scam. Anyone ever tried?

they work just fine. They are just another volume control that will help you fine tune it. They also have a 30 and a 50 watt attenuator for $49 www.voodoomanswitches.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,283/category_id,39/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
**** Voodooman Switches. That ****er has made like eight "companies" all doing the same shit and ripped a bunch of people off.

Also, I just put a volume pedal in my fx loop to control volume a little bit.
A 30 watt amp is too loud?

You really wouldn't like some of the sludge bands I know that run three 300 watt amps turned all the way up.
Quote by iwannabesedated
A 30 watt amp is too loud?

You really wouldn't like some of the sludge bands I know that run three 300 watt amps turned all the way up.

Yep, Black Sabbath at Swing Auditorium 1971. Lee Michaels too. Lost a lot of hearing in the room with those guys. Nobody really needs to run at 130db.

30w is plenty enough for a guitar amp and there are ways to tame it. Volume pedal and attn, work fine.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Hey guys, we played tonight, sounded really good, but my amp still didnt sound big. I duno, we play pop punk sort of, but i like to be able to hear everything not just me, and i like for us to stay at a good volume as to be able to hear all the dynamics, i just dont know what to do.
Are you guys playing for babies falling asleep?

I'm kidding, but I can't see how it is too loud. I mean that loud!
Quote by ColeFleming
So guys, i got a classic 30 a couple months ago. It sounds really good, i run my disaster transport, octa fuzz, and monarch through it and its greaT. only problem is, i cant get it past 1 1/2 at practice, this thing is just loud. I wanted some head room for cleans and use my monarch for the overdrive, but i cant even open this thing up. Im thinking about selling it and getting an orange tiny terror, maybe run it at 7 watts. would this be a good idea? Bad idea? Were playing a show for a good size crowd tonight so i guess ill see how it fares, then make my decision.

Are you shitting me? 30 watts is too much.. are you sure you have balls? I bet 120 would absolutely blow your brains out! You're going to play a show with a 7 watt amp... I hope the 2 people that show up are really close. You guys on here kill me with these threads and low wattage equipment , that gear is made for alone time practice or apt/ dorm room dwellers, not gigs not yard parties... 30 watts is too loud how have you ever gone to a concert? I swear it's a ****ing contest here to see who can play the lowest wattage equipment the quietest, buy a ****ing amp with some watts and put some damn ear plugs in if it's too loud... damn what a bunch of pussies.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Last edited by Ikillintel at Mar 9, 2014,
Is your drummer a spider monkey?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ikillintel
Are you shitting me? 30 watts is too much.. are you sure you have balls? I bet 120 would absolutely blow your brains out! You're going to play a show with a 7 watt amp... I hope the 2 people that show up are really close. You guys on here kill me with these threads and low wattage equipment , that gear is made for alone time practice or apt/ dorm room dwellers, not gigs not yard parties... 30 watts is too loud how have you ever gone to a concert? I swear it's a ****ing contest here to see who can play the lowest wattage equipment the quietest, buy a ****ing amp with some watts and put some damn ear plugs in if it's too loud... damn what a bunch of pussies.

If I ever have to hear you speak mate I'll be sure to invest in some ear plugs
Quote by Cathbard
Is your drummer a spider monkey?

Seriously tho, I don't really understand how 1.5 on a classic 30 is even loud enough to keep up with a drummer.

When I use to run my Kustom 36' coupe (36 watts all tube), I'd crank that sucker up to about 3/4 at practice.

My buddy has the classic 50 and runs that thing a lot harder in a band setup then you say you run the classic 30.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Mar 9, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Nobody really needs to run at 130db.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by red.guitar

Seriously tho, I don't really understand how 1.5 on a classic 30 is even loud enough to keep up with a drummer.

When I use to run my Kustom 36' coupe (36 watts all tube), I'd crank that sucker up to about 3/4 at practice.

My buddy has the classic 50 and runs that thing a lot harder in a band setup then you say you run the classic 30.

Seriously though, wtf? Is your drummer playing with toothpicks?

I agree, I don't even know how your problem is possible.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
you love the sound of the amp, right? then keep it. if it is too loud, turn it down. if its too quiet, turn it up. i run a 15 watt or a 50 watt amp depending on what im doing, both of them are capable of being too loud, and both are capable of sounding good at a moderate volume.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Just keep the Classic 30.

As far as "opening it up" goes? The power section in those things doesn't break up ever in my experience.
What does your band consist of, exactly? One guitar, banjo, and someone beat boxing?

Really though, unless you're playing a Sunn Beta Lead I can't imagine how 1.5 volume could be loud enough for anything related to a band. I had a JCA22H and ran it around 6 to sit comfortably in a mix with a drummer, bassist, another guitarist, and singer. My VTM can hang without an issue at 3, sounds best at 10 though
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]