Hey,
Looking to re-skin all my kit soon and very undecided on which heads to get.
I have a Mapex Pro-M kit, it's 10" 12" 13" 16" toms with a 14.5" snare.

Any ideas on what are the best heads in your opinion? I'm looking at Remo and Evans mainly, possibly Evans G1/G2s if anyone has any experience with them?

Thanks in advance for replies
Love both the G1 and the G2 series. Those are my go-to heads for toms. Really just depends on what you want from them, sound-wise. The G1 is single-ply and the G2 is double-ply.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Aquarian Super Kick II is my favorite for the bass!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Have to admit, Aquarian do some pretty great sounding heads. What's the sound you're after? It'll help with general selection.
I have a Meridian Birch from Mapex that has Clear Remo Emperors on, does the trick for rock and what have you. But for funk and jazz I use coated Ambassadors.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
I've had the same set of Evans G2 clears on my toms for the past 2+ years, have to say they've done the job well and have proved to be very durable as non of them have pitted etc. Other than that it's hard for me to give my opinion since they're the only heads I've had on my kit (other than the stock ones).

However I am now looking to retire them (because they've likely stretched) and am thinking about moving to Aquarian Texture Coateds on my drums (with a dot on the snare) and a Super Kick I Coated on the kick. I play mostly Alt-Rock (my band sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_TcPNJYPg8), but want that more open, warm sound, so would these be a good idea?
Thanks for replies everyone, not really thought about Aquarian

To generalise, my favourite band is the Red Hot Chili Peppers so I quite like the tight crack of the snare, a nice thud from the kick and a mellow all-round tone for the toms. My band play songs similar to the Chili's style, mainly rock/funk so I like the suggestion of Remo Ambassaders because everyone knows they're great all-round heads.

I'll have a look at Aquarian heads for the bass drum, and I'm leaning towards G2's for the toms i think
Does anybody have a personal preference of coated vs transparent heads?

I'm looking at emperor heads atm and there's coated heads and transparent heads- I assume coated heads probably have a slightly longer life but what's the difference in terms of sound?
Shorter sustain generally and a less open but warmer sound overall . Attack can vary depending on the head. I wouldn't recommend unless you play specific styles of music or in the studio.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Clear heads are generally brighter and have more attack. Usually they project a little better.

Coated heads are warmer and have a smoother sound, they're also a bit drier. Coated heads always sound deeper and more organic to me.

Personally, I have a strong preference for coated heads, but clears can sound great, too.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thank you to everyone for the replies really helped me out
I'm gonna have a play with coated/clear heads and then make my decision, in the mean time any posts with any other opinions are welcome