Hello dudes and dudettes,

A month or two ago I bought a Tremonti SE for €250, which is dirt cheap. The guy had been given the guitar by his girlfriend. After ten hours of senseless practicing, he realized guitar just wasn't his thing. Brand-new for about a third of what Thomann asks for it. Hurr hurr.

Yesterday I traded an Eggle Berlin for an ESP Viper. The best trade I ever did! The Eggle plays like butter, the sound is amazing for metal, rock and even cleans and the looks are just beautiful.

See attachments for pics of the Tremonti and check out this link for pics of the Eggle: https://plus.google.com/photos/104153164218941767619/albums/5986887900151262177?banner=pwa.

Reviews
The Tremonti feels nice and thick and sounds surprisingly good. I'm sure the USA series sounds much better, but the tone is useful enough for me to do some home recording in the future. The hardware is all quite solid. I've had some fun killswitching the volume and there's still no cracking or any other unwanted noise coming from the electronics. The pickups are nothing amazing. I will stick some BKP in the Tremonti one day, but budget, meh, derp.

It does not handle downtuning well, which is odd, seeing as Tremonti goes all the way down to Drop A. Kind of silly that the intonation of the SE guitar with his very name on it goes haywire even in Drop D.

The entire guitar was built for one particular string gauge: .09. Use any other gauge and you'll have trouble tuning the guitar and the intonation will be messed up as well. The plus side is that this guitar just owns with .09s on it. The intonation is incredible and the entire set-up feels like that of a much more expensive guitar. Fantastic playability, horrible flexibility, but that's the price you pay!

I replaced the stock tuners with Grover locking tuners, which were a direct drop-in. I can throw this axe out of a window and it won't go out of tune. Simply fantastic. The original tuners were quite crap.

Now, on to the Eggle.

As I said earlier, the sound is very nice. The distortion bites like a bad dog, but it's not fizzy. If anything, this is a guitar with a lot of mid-range frequencies. The cleans are very warm, yet sparkly and sound especially nice with my AF2 Flanger.

The neck heel is incredible. I don't feel it at all while playing. The Tremonti has a thick heel which does somewhat mess with the accessibility of the upper frets, but the Eggle's heel is the best heel I've ever played on. I can't feel the difference between the Eggle and the ESP Horizon, Viper, Soloist and SLAT-7 Archtop Soloist, which were all neck-throughs.

It did have a dead note (bummer!) but I raised the action a tiny bit and now this guitar screams like a bleeding demon on a Saturday night in Newcastle. The sustain on this thing is incredible. Power chords just keep ringing and ringing and ringing, leads keep screaming like a victim on a crime scene.

The headstock says 'Made in England', which I find pretty classy. It's a 20 year old guitar, which is almost as old as I am (24)!

All in all, I'm incredibly happy with both guitars. Won't be trading any of these two
Attachments:
DSC_0297.jpg
DSC_0298.jpg
DSC_0299.jpg
Yeah
Last edited by TehDutchDude at Mar 8, 2014,
you wouldn't necessarily have to go the BKP route. I have the tremonti pickup set in my schecter c-1 classic for a few years and ive been very happy with them. the neck pickup is just perfect for cleans. nice scores!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Jealous!

I've only seen one Patrick Eggle on this side of the pond. I should have bought it when I saw it- the store didn't know what they had, and it was sorely underpriced. I waited a day, and it was G-O-N-E.

Oh yeah, and enjoy he PRS, too!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by TehDutchDude

It does not handle downtuning well, which is odd, seeing as Tremonti goes all the way down to Drop A. Kind of silly that the intonation of the SE guitar with his very name on it goes haywire even in Drop D.

Most people that drop tune set up one guitar per tuning. Specific string gauges, tweaked bridge locations, etc.

Never ever assume that a sig guitar has anything to do with what the original artist actually plays; the signature is there, 90% of the time, to sell a guitar, not to give you something similar to his instrument. Think of a Roy Rogers lunchbox. You never saw one of those hanging off Trigger when Roy took off for work in the morning with the Sons of The Pioneers.
Quote by TehDutchDude
The entire guitar was built for one particular string gauge: .09. Use any other gauge and you'll have trouble tuning the guitar and the intonation will be messed up as well. The plus side is that this guitar just owns with .09s on it. The intonation is incredible and the entire set-up feels like that of a much more expensive guitar. Fantastic playability, horrible flexibility, but that's the price you pay!

Not really.
You can use different string gauges, you just have to get a proper set-up. But that's true for any guitar, it's not an issue exclusive to the PRS stoptail bridge.

Here are a few set-up hints, taken directly from the PRS Customer Support Center:

Designed to take full advantage of the resonant properties of our guitars, the PRS Stoptail Bridge provides direct transmission of string vibration to the guitar body and makes set-up a breeze. First used in 1991 on the PRS Dragon I guitar it now appears on almost half of all PRS guitars sold. This bridge features slots that recess the strings comfortably as they pass over the top, in a gentle curve. Although it is pre-compensated for modern string gauges, fine-tuning is possible by adjusting the set screws at each end of the bridge.

Tuning and Set-up Hints

Action height is adjustable by raising or lowering the studs that the bridge sits on. To adjust the mounting studs, first detune the instrument to relieve all possible string tension on the bridge. Next, using a Quarter, perform the necessary height adjustments to the bridge. Then, retune the guitar. Bear in mind that the brass studs are a soft metal that could be prone to marring if adjustments are made too forcefully.

Intonation can be adjusted using the two allen set screws facing the tail end of the guitar. A strobe tuner or other electronic tuning device should be used. Match the octave (fretted) note of the first and sixth strings with their corresponding 12th fret open harmonics by shortening or lengthening the strings with the adjusting screws using the allen wrench provided. Start with the treble side and then go to the bass side, return to the treble side for one last check. The other four strings are present and will intonate correctly provided a conventionally gauged string set with a plain third (G) string is used. Use of a wound third string is not recommended with this bridge.

When setting the action at the 12th fret the string height should be 2/32" on the treble side to 5/64" on the bass side.

Remember to tune and retune until the process is complete.

If you are unfamiliar with making these adjustments, we recommend that the guitar be taken to a qualified repair center.

Great score on both guitars, Happy Dual New Guitar Day!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Sweet

Did you make a thread on the eggle forum? i think i saw that guitar there on it today
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?