Hello everyone,

I used to be a noob in recording, and if some of the old users still lurk around they might remember me as they helped me a lot.

I learned a lot throughout the years, and specially thanks to this forums and the feedbacks I got on my recordings, also personal experience helped a bit.

I would like to return the favor now by making this thread.

If you have any mixing / recording , go ahead and ask me and I ll do my best to answer it.
The symphonizer
I just started the recording thing a couple of days ago and I still haven't really got it working as I'd like to.

The monitored tone I get in Reaper while recording is extremely harsh and fizzy (imagine if the gain knob went up to 30) and has a constant whining static in the background, it also distorts a completely unaltered clean tone, here is a rendered version - https://soundcloud.com/viscerus/reaper-test - For some reason it undistorts the cleans (Part 1) and removes a lot of the fizz, is there a way I can do this in monitoring so the playback I get in reaper is at least similar to the exported product?

I think it's something to do with the level that reaper recieves my signal (It's so loudly that it distorts everything including a clean tone)

Honestly part 3/4 of the rendered example is pretty usable, it's still a little muddy but not that bad, however in reaper they still sound like absolute shit.
Hello there !

It definitely has something to do with the volume, as I believe this problem only happens when you don't have an external audio mixer/card plugged into your pc, so you are using a soundcard ( just like I do ), so to fix this problem, lower the volume from your guitar first, keep strumming your chords until you get no distortion.

Next, get a free noise gate vst, and place it as an effect on your recording bus ( or track, or whatever you call them ).

Higher the noise gate until there is no hiss, but be careful not to overdo this as it kills a bit your tone.

Now if this is not your problem, then I believe it must be a software problem and therefore if it's getting passed 0 db of master volume, clipping happens, so check for volume settings.

N.B : For general culture, clipping is the phenomena where your audio wave has no longer space available so it has to curve a bit to fit since our technology is limited to the audio space that is 0 db the great limit before clipping. ( to simplify it a bit )
The symphonizer
Last edited by Sympho at Mar 9, 2014,