Okay well I've searched for different posts on this but I can't find really a straight answer or atleast one I can understand...lol...well anyways I'm really into bands like blessthefall, the color morale etc...and I've been trying to learn how to do kind of the "generic" breakdown to get me started on writing my own but I just can't seem to get the write movements. I've heard it called galloping, triplets, chugging, I know theres a difference between them but I don't know which one is right and what advice to follow. So here's a vid with what I'm trying to do, just wait until the breakdown and you will know what I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QemIfCdT1jM
I know I will need to work on it and Im not expecting to just know it right off the bat, I just want to know how to correctly practice it.
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."- Bob Marley
I just subdivide. Play with a metronome and subdivide the beats to help you understand what part of each beat they go on. Its just breakdowns. They are better if they are in odd meter stuff to make it interesting.
Galloping is a three note combination consisting of usually 8th, 16th, 16th (though 16th, 16th, 8th exists), triplets are three even triplets (three 8th notes played in the space of what would normally be two 8th notes), and chugging just refers to heavily palm muted staccato power chords played on the lower strings, particularly the lower frets. People generally tend to use galloping and triplets interchangeably (understandable because galloping is based on a three note rhythmic figure), but to do so is incorrect.

As far as doing "generic" breakdowns, this is simply done by a half-timed, highly syncopated riff that focuses on rhythm more than harmony or melody. The kick drum generally follow the exact rhythm of the guitar, with crash or china cymbals usually on beats 1, 2, 3, and 4 (or just 1 and 3). Sometimes the kick will play steady 16th notes for part of it, usually to contrast with the more syncopated and rhythmic use of the kicks.

Generally there isn't really a "specific" rhythm that you have to follow, though the gallop rhythm is very commonly included to at least some extent.

The most "generic" breakdowns generally consist solely of the open 5th and 6th strings (or 6th and 7th on a seven string) with the lowest string tuned down an extra step to create a fifth between the two (powerchord).

Of course, you can change chords or add small melodic fills into your breakdowns. Many bands will often include dissonant intervals, such as diminished fifths (usually by playing one fret higher on the 6th string than the 5th string). Flat seconds (the semitone interval) on the higher strings or (usually pinch) harmonics can also be added to add comparatively higher sounds to further spice things up.

When chord changes are present, use of the phrygian mode is very common (for example, if we are playing in Drop C, in the key of C minor, we would flatten the 2nd to give us a C#). Chromatic-based power chord progressions are also very common. In more melodic music, the harmony often follows very basic and common progressions commonly associated with metalcore, such as the minor i, VI, (VII) sort of thing (so in C (3 flats) this would be Cm, Ab, Bb).

I also included a .gp5 file of a breakdown type riff from an old tune. It has a little bit of all of the things I mentioned (rhythm, use of the low strings, melodic fills, simple VI, i progression) plus a random solo over it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.