Okay, so im really into the Epiphone ES333 Tom Delonge siganture guitar. The guitar is beautiful, and probably has some other qualities too! Anyway, my main concern is wheter or not it is feedback proof. Right now im in a punk band. Not only do we play loud, we're pretty crammed up in our rehearsal room. I bought a full hollow ibanez asr70 last year, not knowing the cons of a hollowbody guitar when paired with volume and gain. But, since this is a signature model from one of punks greatest, one could assume the guitar is better prepared for this right? I know my ibanez didn have a centre block, and this one does.

So is there anyone out there who have tried this particular guitar or has some extended knowledge about how well it fairs with high volume+gain in rather crammed spaces?

Wrote this post on the phone, sorry if its not properly spelled or spaced!
Quote by mke
But, since this is a signature model from one of punks greatest, one could assume the guitar is better prepared for this right?

Always a bad assumption to make.

Signature guitars sometimes have little to do with what the artist actually used.

Remember, too, that a lot of bands in the modern era don't have that much stage volume going on and that feedback may not be an issue for them. Often they're hearing things through a set of In Ear Monitors (IEMs) that won't impact on the guitar at all. Other times they may be listening to things through a wedge monitor that's turned pretty far down; it's generally only there for an audience of one. The audience, on the other hand, is getting pounded by the PA system.

Pick a guitar for YOUR situation, not for theirs.
If you're crammed into a rehearsal room, first item of business is to turn the volume down. Often what sounds like heaven there sucks bigtime when you get it outside that room. I keep relearning this the hard way. At one point, however, we got the drummer on electronic drums and everyone else on IEMs, and all you'd hear is the occasional screech of the vocalists. Friends who came to hear the band thought it was hysterical. They got sets of headphones to put on so that they could hear the rest of the band through the mixer. One of the things you eliminate is stray amp and drum noise through the vocal mikes. Makes a big difference.
Okay, i ser where you guys are getting at, but we are a poor band, and the setup we have is pretty much unchangeable right now. We (the band) enjoy playing relly loud whilst rehearsing, and i dont think im able to change that attitude just so i can play a semi-acoustic

Anyhow, i really want a semi acoustic guitar, the stable ends up more central on my body with that kind of guitarbody, which helps my playig alot. So if the ES-333 arent a pefegt match, can anyone give me a better option? Semi-acoustic, that is!
Most guys who play harder rock genres on semihollows and hollowbodies tend to do things like stuff them with goths or foam rubber bits to combat feedback.

Generally speaking, semihollows will feedback less than full hollowbody guitars, though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 8, 2014,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

What.

The.

Heck?

Quote by mke
Okay, i ser where you guys are getting at, but we are a poor band, and the setup we have is pretty much unchangeable right now. We (the band) enjoy playing relly loud whilst rehearsing, and i dont think im able to change that attitude just so i can play a semi-acoustic

Anyhow, i really want a semi acoustic guitar, the stable ends up more central on my body with that kind of guitarbody, which helps my playig alot. So if the ES-333 arent a pefegt match, can anyone give me a better option? Semi-acoustic, that is!

Best thing you can do is try out a semi-hollow (any semi-hollow; 335, etc.) and see what happens in your practice situation. Borrow one from someone you know that has one.

There are other styles of semi-acoustic, in both size and construction. The 335-size body in laminate construction (like the Delonge) probably generates a bit more feedback than the smaller-size bodies in laminate construction. In turn, the laminate bodies probably generate a bit more feedback than a carved-out style semi-hollow such as the Gibson Midtown series or the Carvin SH550 and SH645 style guitars. The Gibson has a body carved out of a hunk of mahogany (CNC machined) with a flat piece of maple slapped on and a standard fairly clunky neck heel. The Carvins have bodies carved out of a hunk of mahogany, a top carved out of a hunk of (usually) figured maple or koa (so it's very much a carved top rather than flat) and have a smoothed-out neck heel. These *look* like a slightly smaller semi-hollow, but have feedback characteristics more along the lines of an LP.

One more item for your consideration. The Delonge is a single pickup, volume-only Dirty Fingers pickup guitar with a very particular paint scheme. Because it's SO identified with Tom, and because it's so limited, you're going to reduce your possible resale audience to those who are looking for a guitar that specific. And if you decide that guitar's not for you after all, whether you change your musical style or decide you want to add skills you don't already have, that's going to be a concern. You might consider getting a more standard guitar and putting transit vinyl graphics on it (the same racing stripe, etc.). Google "guitar skins." Easier selling the guitar if the time comes. Just pull the graphic.

And finally, what does "the stable ends up more central on my body with that kind of guitarbody" mean?
One more item for your consideration. The Delonge is a single pickup, volume-only Dirty Fingers pickup guitar with a very particular paint scheme. Because it's SO identified with Tom, and because it's so limited, you're going to reduce your possible resale audience to those who are looking for a guitar that specific. And if you decide that guitar's not for you after all, whether you change your musical style or decide you want to add skills you don't already have, that's going to be a concern. You might consider getting a more standard guitar and putting transit vinyl graphics on it (the same racing stripe, etc.). Google "guitar skins." Easier selling the guitar if the time comes. Just pull the graphic.

Yeah, pretty much this.

And finally, what does "the stable ends up more central on my body with that kind of guitarbody" mean?

Well, it means that since the strap-plug for the guitar is just behind the neck on a hollowbody the angle in which the guitar hangs is a bit more horizontal, which makes it easier to switch to and from muting fast, the hand is "already there" when i switch. And, the big hollow body makes it a natural resting point from which i conduct my strumming.

Anyway, im not sure about what to do, i guess time will tell. The ES-333 is really cheap tho, 340EUR....