I just bought a well-used TU-2... It was super cheap so guess this is to be expected but there's a lot of hum (and crackle if I move it around) from the input jack. After unscrewing the back of the case, if I touch any of the socket's contacts or the metal part of the jack on to the metal case then it stops and the signal to the amp becomes clear. What exactly is happening here and is it easy to fix?
Last edited by TheMightyQuinn8 at Mar 8, 2014,
Probably a bad ground. I'm not an electrics guy but I would assume it would be an easy fix.
Sounds like a bad ground. Check the solder connections on the Input Jack - the ground is probably bad. A new plug is only about $5. If the connections are good then try some contact cleaner.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Ok. I'm looking at the connections, but can't see anything particularly wrong apart from a tiny little bit of rust on surface. The wire seems to be still be firmly soldered onto the contact. How do I identify the bad connection?

It sounds like a simple problem - so I'm assuming a guitar shop would be able to fix this without it costing too much? I'm on a serious budget!!
If there is rust or some sort of crud or oxidation on the connector then that may do it. DeOxit D5 from Amazon is what I would try - that stuff is magic.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .