So I just broke a high e string, having trouble taking it out of the locking tuner.... It is a les paul signature t. I keep tuning down and the tuner will not open...
Canada is about 10,000,000 Square Kilometers, Without A Single Guitar Center!
---
Ibanezrocker13
Did you loosen the big knurled screw on the back of the tuner? Assuming it is there, of course. There are different versions of locking tuners. Who made yours? Schaller? Planet Waves? Some other brand?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The tuners are stock on the gibson les paul signature T... I am not sure which kind, the guitar is relatively new; i have not changed strings yet. It is also my first guitar with locking tuners.
---
Ibanezrocker13
What FatalGear41 is getting at is that there's usually a locking mechanism that's separate from simply loosening the string. On a Sperzel locking tuner, for example, there's a knurled wheel on the back that, when loosened, releases the string. That's the "locking" part. Other locking tuners have different locking mechanisms.

Grover locking tuners have a knurled "wheel" that forms the back of the tuner that can be loosened to release the string, but it's fairly common to find that it's been torqued down. You might need to try (gently!) a pair of pliers.
Locking tuners for me have always been about this. They make it a pain to change strings. At least the Gotoh-ones I have tried, which ESP put on their Standard Series.

If it is like the Gotoh ones, which doesn't have a wheel on the back but is locked down by string pressure, there should be a grove in the top where you should be able to hold a screwdriver while turning the tuner.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
You need to get a coin or screw to turn the top of the post. Search online for instructions on how to use Grover locking tuners (406C I think is the model type).
Fixed! They were tightened ALOT at the factory... I just had to unscrew the thumb screw. Thanks y'all
---
Ibanezrocker13
Fixed! They were tightened ALOT at the factory... I just had to unscrew the thumb screw. Thanks y'all
---
Ibanezrocker13