As it turns out, I have $400 to spend on pedals. I've never had any before. My current rig is an Epiphone Wilshire and a Vox AC4TV. I've been playing a lot of stuff in the vein of St. Vincent as of late, but my sonic interests are across the indie pop to shoegaze spectrum.

So, what do I get?

I've had my eye on the Boss Space Echo and the Moog Minifooger Drive. But just buying those two pedals would put me out; is there any way to maximize my budget?
I have the Boss RE-20, and it is a great pedal. Highly recommended.

Yes, it IS pricey, but because it is a Boss, it is made like a tank. This means if you get one, it will give you many years of unwavering service. It also means that you should feel confident in buying one that is a store demo or used, saving you money. And also because it is a Boss, it should be relatively common, and thus, easier to find used than similar pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yeah, I've tried an acquaintance's RE-20 and really liked it. I'm freeballing as regards the Moog, though I've heard demos and really liked its sound (I also like the idea of the filter).
Moogs are, as a rule, pretty awesome pedals: powerful, flexible, well made. Hard to go wrong with them, except that they're expensive. I own some pretty pricey pedals, and I still don't own a Moog. Yet.

As a pedal junkie, my take on it is that life is too short and the hobby is too expensive to waste money on bad ones. Do your research to find out which pedals deliver the tones you want at a price you can afford...or are patient enough to save up for.

Remember, though, expensive =/= better. Some fairly inexpensive pedals have good reputations. And the tone YOU seek for playing something may be found in a real cheap one.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 9, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Moogs are, as a rule, pretty awesome pedals: powerful, flexible, well made. Hard to go wrong with them, except that they're expensive. I own some pretty pricey pedals, and I still don't own a Moog. Yet.

As a pedal junkie, my take on it is that life is too short and the hobby is too expensive to waste money on bad ones. Do your research to find out which pedals deliver the tones you want at a price you can afford...or are patient enough to save up for.

Remember, though, expensive =/= better. Some fairly inexpensive pedals have good reputations. And the tone YOU seek for playing something may be found in a real cheap one.

This, pretty much.

A delay, a reverb and an overdrive are always nice to have in my opinion, given the genres you want. A tremolo could give you some options to add some texture in your sound.
For shoegaze, a fuzz and a reverb are must-haves.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Used Line 6 M9 or M13 and a good Muff.

I have an Earthquaker Hoof and I adore it.

I've also heard great things about the Blackout Musket.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I can't comment on the pedals that you've mentioned, but if you're looking for an OD/dist, take a look at the MXR Wylde od.

I use to own an ac4tv for home practice, and the zw-44 sounded great driving it. It gave it a Marshall like OD. It could save you some $$$ for some other pedals.

I'm not sure if you're using the head or combo, but the first thing I would do is switch out the speaker to a Eminence C-rex. That was hands down the best $85 I spent on that amp. Got rid of the harsh high end, and added a sweet tight bottom end.

But hey, thats just my .02$
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I've been tempted by the MF Drive too. From what I can tell it carries over to bass, guitar, keys, violin, whatever else fairly well. The option of having it work as a wah is cool too.

The RE-20 has reverb settings as well as sick delay, so you should have a decent bit of ground covered there.

The Line 6 multi-effects are pretty good too. I love my DL-4's delays and looping, which the M- series has.

Remember to check used if that's something you're not against. If you're in the states then there's plenty of people selling stuff on Reverb, Ebay, and whatever all the time with minimal shipping costs and such
The Zoom MS50G is a great multi FX stompbox that is worth looking into. Very affordable too.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

I've heard some really pricey boutique pedals and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between them and their cheaper, mass-produced counterparts.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

This one's really interesting, I might get it somewhere down the line.

Oh God why am I so poor.

Visual Sound
H2O

Again, this is another one of those pedals I may get in the future, when I get this whole liquidity issue solved.

And either this device or its mobile app version for processing your stuff:

ReacTable
Mobile

Interesting...

Quote by Rimšiakas
Try some Biyang pedals. They are cheap as hell and of good quality.

Thanks, I'll check them out. I've also heard Joyo makes some good cheap things.
Last edited by thewho65 at Mar 9, 2014,