Hello all, and thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

I bought a scarlet 6i6 Audio interface recently which is digital of course, because thats what i thought i needed to record an EP. I play metal, which of course requires me to crank my amp really hot for the distortion. I use a Peavey 6505 head/cab

When i crank my amp up to the distortion level that i want, and try to record, i start getting crackling and popping in the audio. Im so dissapointed because i thought i was good to go, and im not.

I dont want to sacrifice gain, because if i do, the distortion tone i get is not what im looking for, only when its cranked really high do i get the tone i want. So what am i to do?

Do i not record digital? if not what else are my options?

Thanks
First, you definitely record digital, there's really no other option short of buying a vintage tape machine.

How are you getting your amp into the Scarlett? If you're plugging it in to the speaker out then that's definitely wrong and may well break things, so stop doing that!!

What you need is to mic up the cab, normally done with an SM57 at this level. If that's what you're doing, then there are two things that could be wrong. Either the mic is clipping, and you need to turn the mic gain down. The other possibility is that your computer can't handle the audio stream quick enough and is causing pops and clicks. If that's the case, play with your buffer size settings. Higher buffer sizes lessen the pops but increase the latency. Find the right balance.
^ for ****'s sake, you'd already be deaf if you were exposed to a SPL high enough to overdrive a dynamic microphones.
It may be the buffer size, yeah.
And if he was connecting the speaker out to the interface's input he'd already be broken one of the things at least.

If you're recording the thing with a microphone, it's probably the pre's or the converters on the interface clipping.
Try turning the interface's gain down and engaging the pad.

If you're recording the thing going from the fx loop send (which is the amp's preamp out) then you need to do the already stated things + getting yourself a guitar cab simulator.
Quote by Jennaviv
I play metal, which of course requires me to crank my amp really hot for the distortion.
You don't even...
Unless you want power tube distortion, you can just turn up the gain and leave the master volume down, and since you play metal you don't want power tube distortion.
So yeah, keep the gain high and the volume low.

At this point, both an accurate description of your setup and an audio sample of what you're getting would be helpful.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Mar 9, 2014,
Quote by Jennaviv
I play metal, which of course requires me to crank my amp really hot for the distortion.

only when its cranked really high do i get the tone i want.

No.

You don't need to crank your gain really high, you may think you do but you don't. Firstly, when you're getting that tone is that from standing/sitting with your 1m+ up from the speaker(s) and 2m+ away from it? or are you actually checking what the mic will hear by putting your ear right up next to it (with earplugs of course, although if you think that most metal has the gain past 6 then maybe the hearing loss wouldn't be an issue) or monitoring the mic through your headphones.
Secondly, when you double track (if you think you don't need to double track just leave now and save us the hassle) it will sound heavier and like it has more gain than it does normally.

Also, are you turning the gain down on the interface appropriately? For you at the moment that probably means setting it to 0 with the pad on and even then you might clip it
Quote by Spambot_2
^ for ****'s sake, you'd already be deaf if you were exposed to a SPL high enough to overdrive a dynamic microphones.
It may be the buffer size, yeah.
And if he was connecting the speaker out to the interface's input he'd already be broken one of the things at least.

Sorry, bad wording. I meant clipping the preamp. However, if the SPL was loud enough to clip the dynamic it wouldn't necessarily deafen TS, it depends on how far the mic is from the amp and how far TS is from the mic. Inverse square law and all that.
Quote by chatterbox272
No.

You don't need to crank your gain really high, you may think you do but you don't. Firstly, when you're getting that tone is that from standing/sitting with your 1m+ up from the speaker(s) and 2m+ away from it? or are you actually checking what the mic will hear by putting your ear right up next to it (with earplugs of course, although if you think that most metal has the gain past 6 then maybe the hearing loss wouldn't be an issue) or monitoring the mic through your headphones.
Secondly, when you double track (if you think you don't need to double track just leave now and save us the hassle) it will sound heavier and like it has more gain than it does normally.

Also, are you turning the gain down on the interface appropriately? For you at the moment that probably means setting it to 0 with the pad on and even then you might clip it

Man I love it when audio guys are dicks. Everything this guy said is on the right track. But ****, chill out.
Quote by Kämpfer
Man I love it when audio guys are dicks. Everything this guy said is on the right track. But ****, chill out.

audio guy? As a miscellaneous brassophone player I resent that description
Quote by tim_mop
Sorry, bad wording. I meant clipping the preamp. However, if the SPL was loud enough to clip the dynamic it wouldn't necessarily deafen TS, it depends on how far the mic is from the amp and how far TS is from the mic. Inverse square law and all that.
It they were in the same room at the distance at which I stand from my cab when I record (2 to 3 meters) he would: theoretically (because nobody ever actually tested it) it would take more or less 180db SPL to overdrive an SM57.
If you were 3 meters from the mic and 4 meters from the speakers, they would be 171db SPL.
That would seriously **** you up.
Quote by kahleesi
Was it even established there's a microphone in the chain?
Maybe there isn't and he's going from the fx loop out to the interface.
Quote by chatterbox272
As far as I'm getting the thing, his problem is not the gain, his problem is the volume.
So, apart from the lowering the gain thing, a solution here would be tunring the master volume down, whatever the gain.
TS you don't need to keep that high to sound good, so keep that low if the sound level's too high.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You (mostly)never want power tube saturation for metal. There's a good reason they make most high end metal amps with alot of wattage and headroom. You loose clarity and things tend to get muddy.

You can get an excellent distorted sound with a low volume, good mic placement, good EQing and slight compression. If you don't double track your recordings, its going to sound thin and weak, and you wont need so much gain, about 3/4th of the gain you would use for playing the song live.
Yes there is a microphone in the chain, sorry for not adding that. Im using a SM57.

Thanks to everyone who has replied I'll try what you guys have said.