Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help, I'm currently attempting to learn Pantera - Cowboys From Hell, I have come across one section of tab which I dont understand how to play, please see attached screenshot. I'm not understanding the fret 20 hammer on 15 part, how is that part played?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Attachments:
tabscreen.gif
Last edited by Thamoomin81 at Mar 9, 2014,
Quote by Thamoomin81
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help, I'm currently attempting to learn Pantera - Cowboys From Hell, I have come across one section of tab which I dont understand how to play, please see attached screenshot. I'm not understanding the fret 20 hammer on 15 part, how is that part played?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
oh that's easy... the first note at the 20'th is independently struck, and held on for a dotted demi-semi quaver, due to the musical "tie" symbol following the note at the bottom, now at this point it's really important to make sure to keep the staccato feel in triplet, which due to the tie at the bottom wiil help with the execution of the hammer-on to the 15'th which due to the extended demi-semi quaver by that dotted measure rendering the note at the 15'th a"ghost" note to some degree, generally the note at the 20'th is initiated with either the ring or little finger of the fret-board hand, you'll notice that the lick/technique is again repeated a few notes ahead in the score but interestingly this time there is no "ghosting" of the note here (ie:due to a pull-off being used on the note prior, instead of hammer-on this time (ie:15 pulls off to 12 instead of 12 hammering on to 15)), due to the change from the e-string to the B-string, the new note is struck (again independently) with the index finger of the fret-board hand and then some-what leaves the e-string at the 20'th (again ghosting...) and returns to the same string, but this time of course at the 15'th allowing for the pull-off to the 12'th, but this time the tie at the bottom of the 20'th, wants to break the triplet feel of the previous staccato mentioned for the other string, and this time shortens the extention further to a double dotted hemi-demi-semi-quaver to retain the over-all feel of five's over seven's (five's into double stacked triplets)... so to simply put it another way, the Tabber of the section you posted, basically f*#ked up and the "H's" shouldn't even be there and that obviously makes everything I just typed a bunch of waffling sh*t saying absolutely nothing, although once I started I just couldn't stop (laughing included), sorry mate, guess I was just bored... in future you can't "pull off" to a higher fret... but hey come on now... you already knew that! and if you are a good sport and can take a joke, and show me how to post screen shots like you did in your post I can post a screen shot of that section from the TAB book! just coz you were such a good sport! (smiley face).
Last edited by tonibet72 at Mar 9, 2014,
Quote by tonibet72
oh that's easy... the first note at the 20'th is independently struck, and held on for a dotted demi-semi quaver, due to the musical "tie" symbol following the note at the bottom, now at this point it's really important to make sure to keep the staccato feel in triplet, which due to the tie at the bottom wiil help with the execution of the hammer-on to the 15'th which due to the extended demi-semi quaver by that dotted measure rendering the note at the 15'th a"ghost" note to some degree, generally the note at the 20'th is initiated with either the ring or little finger of the fret-board hand, you'll notice that the lick/technique is again repeated a few notes ahead in the score but interestingly this time there is no "ghosting" of the note here (ie:due to a pull-off being used on the note prior, instead of hammer-on this time (ie:15 pulls off to 12 instead of 12 hammering on to 15)), due to the change from the e-string to the B-string, the new note is struck (again independently) with the index finger of the fret-board hand and then some-what leaves the e-string at the 20'th (again ghosting...) and returns to the same string, but this time of course at the 15'th allowing for the pull-off to the 12'th, but this time the tie at the bottom of the 20'th, wants to break the triplet feel of the previous staccato mentioned for the other string, and this time shortens the extention further to a double dotted hemi-demi-semi-quaver to retain the over-all feel of five's over seven's (five's into double stacked triplets)... so to simply put it another way, the Tabber of the section you posted, basically f*#ked up and the "H's" shouldn't even be there and that obviously makes everything I just typed a bunch of waffling sh*t saying absolutely nothing, although once I started I just couldn't stop (laughing included), sorry mate, guess I was just bored... in future you can't "pull off" to a higher fret... but hey come on now... you already knew that! and if you are a good sport and can take a joke, and show me how to post screen shots like you did in your post I can post a screen shot of that section from the TAB book! just coz you were such a good sport! (smiley face).

WTF is this, i don't even...

To TS: it seems to be a mistake on the tab, it should be a "P" instead of the "H".
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman

WTF is this, i don't even...

To TS: it seems to be a mistake on the tab, it should be a "P" instead of the "H".

Haha glad I'm not the only one confused by tonibet72's reply, no offence tonibet72 but you lost me totally. I also thought it could be a mistake Linkerman but this tab is from this site and has 5 stars from 108 people so I would have hoped someone might have pointed it out in the comments or something so I was thinking nah its legit and that I'm just not understanding it. Anyhow I just play it as a pull-off and it sounds similar but I know it's not quite right .... I know you cant hammer on 20 to 15 and that it would be a pull-off etc.

Tonibet, I just did a screenshot and added it as an attachment
Quote by Thamoomin81
Haha glad I'm not the only one confused by tonibet72's reply, no offence tonibet72 but you lost me totally. I also thought it could be a mistake Linkerman but this tab is from this site and has 5 stars from 108 people so I would have hoped someone might have pointed it out in the comments or something so I was thinking nah its legit and that I'm just not understanding it. Anyhow I just play it as a pull-off and it sounds similar but I know it's not quite right .... I know you cant hammer on 20 to 15 and that it would be a pull-off etc.

Tonibet, I just did a screenshot and added it as an attachment

Was supposed to lose you, Ha ha... sorry I just thort the answer was that obvious and I guess I was bored... obviously not your sense of humour, oh well no harm done... except for maybe poor Linkers... (sorry bud, my bad lolz)

anywho... how do "add" an attachment?... is there like a code for it or something??
Is there a page on UG that shows these things?... Thanks!
Ratings only means so much - there's almost always a few minor mistakes in every tab and 5 stars doesn't mean perfect, just really good.

Is this Tab Pro? It looks like a glitch that it's reading the pull-off as a hammer-on. GP tabbing doesn't distinguish H/P at all - so it's not the tabber if so. Not sure how to read this duration notation but the 20s seem tied (double length). I don't know this solo - but generally if something sounds off and you know the song very well - you're usually right.

(Think toni was being excessively technical as a joke BTW )
Quote by tonibet72
Was supposed to lose you, Ha ha... sorry I just thort the answer was that obvious and I guess I was bored... obviously not your sense of humour, oh well no harm done... except for maybe poor Linkers... (sorry bud, my bad lolz)

anywho... how do "add" an attachment?... is there like a code for it or something??
Is there a page on UG that shows these things?... Thanks!

No problem, it's sometimes not easy over the internet to know if someone is taking the piss or joking around

As for the attachment, under the form where you type your reply you will see "Additional Options", under that is "Attach Files", click on "Manage Attachments" and you just browse to the attachment you want to attach, I'm assuming images just automatically show at bottom.
Last edited by Thamoomin81 at Mar 9, 2014,
@fanapathy... someone got my joke... yeah there was_ a small amount of truth in amongst my exasperated reply... well in places anyway... that was what was supposed to keep people reading... oh never mind, you either got it or ya didn't! Thanks fanapathy!

Thanks Thamoomin81... oh good, no real harm intended, I could tell from your initial post that you knew your stuff anyway (in the world of Tab), so I was almost wondering why you were even asking, so yeah a bit cheeky definately, but wasn't trying to be cheeky cheeky... sorry! Hey thanks for the attachment advise.

P.S: forum attachment doesn't allow for very big files so hope this one turns out, as I won't be able to tell untill I post it... here goes!
Attachments:
Cowboys.JPG
Quote by tonibet72

It was simply not funny. At all. You tried way too hard.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
whoooa!!! MEAN GIRL ALERT
Quote by Linkerman
It was simply not funny. At all. You tried way too hard.
@Linkerman: far out man?... that's a bit below the belt dude!
did you have to completely spoil the surprise for others... just because it wasn't your sense of humour?

other people might also have endured (enjoyed) reading through my reply, only to get to the inevitable end and realise (that it was just a silly joke), I thought being the first reply on the thread, I would take the opportunity, but just because you didn't find it funny...

I was gonna ask you to edit your posts and remove your comments... but I guess if it wasn't you, then it would pretty much, eventually be someone else having a go...

Why do some people on this site gotta be so imperative and critical by nature?
Last edited by tonibet72 at Mar 9, 2014,
^It's just the kind of stuff you have to put up with when posting on internet forums and things like youtube. People are anonymous, forget that there's a real person behind every nickname and so on. Being harsh, rude or condescending generally has no consequences whereas in real life they'd get in trouble. Many online posters don't socialize much and lack communication skills. Some just do it for entertainment and some just don't give a shit. UG is generally a very friendly community. Just brush it off, it's not personal - there's plenty more where that came from.
Quote by tonibet72
@fanapathy... someone got my joke... yeah there was_ a small amount of truth in amongst my exasperated reply... well in places anyway... that was what was supposed to keep people reading... oh never mind, you either got it or ya didn't! Thanks fanapathy!

Thanks Thamoomin81... oh good, no real harm intended, I could tell from your initial post that you knew your stuff anyway (in the world of Tab), so I was almost wondering why you were even asking, so yeah a bit cheeky definately, but wasn't trying to be cheeky cheeky... sorry! Hey thanks for the attachment advise.

P.S: forum attachment doesn't allow for very big files so hope this one turns out, as I won't be able to tell untill I post it... here goes!

Thanks for the tab, guess I need to accept even highly rated tab can also be tabbed incorrectly and to trust myself