so, hoping I can get some good answers...

theoretically, with the same components, you would not know the difference in the sounds?

Looking on ebay,

the REAL vintage 808's are around 1500 (are they nuts?)
the 808HW is about 350 (ah.. that's not cheap either... but better than 1500)
the 808 reissue 100.00

the DIY kit, with MODS, about $100.00

Im thinking, the kits the best deal... least i can "experiment" if i build it myself and try the different components...

wondering if anyone has any experience in comparisons, hands on experience?

thanks, any info appreciated...

I would really like to see how all these "real" ones and "copies" sound against each other... I am not too much of a believer in youtube comparisons.. i guess they are ok as a "basis" but given all the added variables (the guitar, amp, the acoustics of the room, the
microphone recording it, the speakers playing it, cables, etc.) really make an accurate comparision hard... and then you are not really comparing apples to apples...

A few websites (like keely) have sound samples but I wonder, again, how accurate, and is it apple to apples? To me, they all want to sell their products and perhaps believe theirs is better than the others, but is it really?

Sound is subjective, isnt it? we base what we think sounds good of what we "remember" hearing before in the past... obviously exclude crappy sounding pedals that just suck for lack of a better adjective...

Any "sound engineers " care to add some thoughts? any way to compare pedals and really make the comparison based on the actual sound of the pedal, and limit variables coloring the effect (amp, guitar, room, etc)?
Last edited by fastforded at Mar 10, 2014,
If you order parts yourself (ie. don't do it through a kit) you'll be able to halve the price again (at least). If you're reasonably confident with your soldering skills then it shouldn't be a problem.
I have a GFS Greenie classic which is like having a TS808, TS9 and a modified TS in one pedal. They run $50 new www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-DESIGN-Greenie-Classic-Distortion-4558-Tube-Screamer-_p_1075.html

I like it as good as any TS I have tried (I use it as a boost)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Vintage 808's still sell for ~$100 on eBay, just a matter of checking at the right time...
If the DIY kit you're considering is the BYOC OD2, be wary that it is not the simplest build, especially if it's your first. The boost section is meh and wiring two footswitches for one pedal is also a pain. It has some good reviews and gearmandude makes it sound nice but a standard 808 reissue will pretty much do the same. (Or any other ts for that matter)

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm?itemId=281281790237
Last edited by 7thString at Mar 9, 2014,
Wither get the components yourself or get the GFS greenie.
Don't ever get handwired stuff.
Official reissues are usually different and worse for some reason, so in general I'd stay away from them.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Green Rhino
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use the Joyo vintage Overdrive for $30 off Amazon. The GFS Greenie looks really cool too. I guess my point is that you can get some good sounds for little $. If you want to tinker and build it yourself go for it though.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Spambot_2
Wither get the components yourself or get the GFS greenie.
Don't ever get handwired stuff.
Official reissues are usually different and worse for some reason, so in general I'd stay away from them.

why not?
The TS808/9 board from tonepad.com is pretty decent and not too expensive. It's a true bypass variant of the tubescreamer. ie. no buffer. Pretty simple pedal to build. But it will cost more in parts than a Bad Monkey. Unless you want to use the best of everything and build something better than the original just buy a Bad Monkey and be done with it.
There's no shame in building something special though; haunting ebay for the right part etc, but it doesn't really make as much difference as you may think.
I'd still rather a Green Rhino though, if I had my pick of the tubescreamer family. But I have a Bad Monkey - why? It was stoopid cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 10, 2014,
Ibanez & Maxon Tubescreamers are possibly the most overpriced pedals out there. It makes me sad that people still buy these.

A Way Huge Green Rhino, CMAT Signa, even an MXR M77 for the asymmetrical variant, or a Hardwire CM-2 will all eat them for breakfast.

That Greenie looks cool, I'll try to remember to rec it.

Though the Digitech Bad Monkey still reigns supreme for budget TS. The High and Low knobs really put it in the next league. See the Hardwire CM-2 for the "boutique" version of it.

Green Rhino & M77 both have additional tone shaping as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 10, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
It's a true bypass variant of the tubescreamer. ie. no buffer.

a true bypass allows the guitar signal to "totally bypass" the effects electronics?

Quote by Cathbard
There's no shame in building something special though; haunting ebay for the right part etc, but it doesn't really make as much difference as you may think.

The older i get, the more i believe its the journey not so much the destination that matters MOST... because most of the times theres usually nothing there "worthwhile" anyway...it was the trip that mattered...
Quote by Offworld92
Ibanez & Maxon Tubescreamers are possibly the most overpriced pedals out there. It makes me sad that people still buy these..

I couldnt agree more.. kinda makes me sick seeing a $50 pedal selling for $2000..
Quote by fastforded
a true bypass allows the guitar signal to "totally bypass" the effects electronics?
Yeah.

Quote by fastforded

The older i get, the more i believe its the journey not so much the destination that matters MOST... because most of the times theres usually nothing there "worthwhile" anyway...it was the trip that mattered...
I spend a lot of time making stuff using top of the line bits just for the hell of doing it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I spend a lot of time making stuff using top of the line bits just for the hell of doing it.

yep... same here.. i have been looking at some kits and schematics... somewhat daunting as a simple google search for a TS-808 schematic shows quite a few different results.. so which schematic is correct? or which best to use?
The one on the tonepad site seemed right. Like I said though, it's a true bypass version.

The enclosure to use. The pots are somewhat protected from footsteps with these.
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1286

Edit. And a hint. Use an IC socket so you can try other op-amps, and see how little difference they actually make.
Joking aside, you'll be glad you did it. Don't solder the chip directly to the board, buy a nice socket.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by NakedInTheRain
why not?
Alright I was drastic.
Though...
Hand wired stuff is reeeally overpriced, and there's really no reason why it should inherently be better.

But then again, maybe there's a reason I don't see that makes hand wired stuff better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The Joyo JF-01 Overdrive is a lot of pedal for $30. I've always been more of a Fulltone OCD guy, which I didn't find out till going through a reissue 808, TS9, and a Green Rhino (sheesh). However, the Joyo is the TS clone that I ended up keeping around, dunno why. It's a good value.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Spambot_2
Alright I was drastic.
Though...
Hand wired stuff is reeeally overpriced, and there's really no reason why it should inherently be better.

But then again, maybe there's a reason I don't see that makes hand wired stuff better.

that's a huge generalisation. cmatmods, vfe, oddfellows, paul c, mr black, catalinbread.... the list goes on and on for companies that handwire their pedals and don't charge the earth for them.
Joyos are obviously built by hand - the hand of a dyslexic monkey on meth, but by hand nonetheless.

A Bad Monkey only costs $10 more than a Joyo and you get more than $10 worth of extra quality. It's a bit of a no brainer really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by NakedInTheRain
that's a huge generalisation. cmatmods, vfe, oddfellows, paul c, mr black, catalinbread.... the list goes on and on for companies that handwire their pedals and don't charge the earth for them.

I think he might have been referring specifically to handwired versions of mass produced pedals (Vox handwired wah, handwired TS-808, etc)

If he's not then I agree with you.
I was thinking of handwired amps, the one built with turret boards.
Most pedals aren't really hand wired, they need humans to put components on the pcb's but the wiring is done with machines and copper "ponds".
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola