Page 1 of 2
Hi Guys,
I've been playing guitar for maybe 2 years and my Starter Pack Strat is worn out, I've saved up and want to buy a better guitar, I've been looking at J&D and Harley Benton guitars, Priced under 150€. I just want something that looks and sounds good ?
Can you make any reconsiderations
Regards,
Peter
in UK then look for a Vintage LP copy. anything decent will most likely cost more than your budget though. I have a Vintage SG copy and it is a very good guitar for the money (like it way better than an epi). used may be a better bet
Quote by monwobobbo
in UK then look for a Vintage LP copy. anything decent will most likely cost more than your budget though. I have a Vintage SG copy and it is a very good guitar for the money (like it way better than an epi). used may be a better bet

well say 120-200€ ?
Waht do you mean by a Vintage Copy ?
Try to keep an eye out for vintage Cortez LPs. I've got a 1975 Cortez LP that plays and sounds incredible. I'm not sure about how easy they are to find in your area though...
Vintage is a guitar company.

Try the Les Paul thread.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by monwobobbo
anything decent will most likely cost more than your budget though.

that's my concern.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think you forgot about postage and VAT/customs there. That could easily double that price, if not more, by which stage it's kind of getting pointless. Don't get me wrong, Agiles seem to be good value if you're in the USA (I haven't tried them), but getting them to Europe with the associated postage and fees pretty much erodes any savings you're likely to make. Plus you're in trouble if there's anythign wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No - I didn't forget about shipping and applicable D/T. I was in trade compliance for many years.
That was just what I consider to be a good idea worth some investigation. I'm not going to spend time on all the research. I leave that up to the one who is searching.
Well I think it's good practise to point out all possible applicable charges when it's pretty clear you're dealing with someone who might not know. And when those charges will bring it up way above that person's budget. Heck even without all those charges (which could easily increase the overall price by at least 30%, probably more), $225 equates to over 160 Euros at the current exchange rate (and that's before you consider that most credit card companies will rip you on the exchange rate).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No, it's not could, or maybe, or possibly, it's "will". VAT in most European countries is pushing 20%, and in several countries is actually over 20%. Customs is normally around 3-4% (at least it is in the UK) on top of that. And those percentages are normally charged on postage costs as well (which for transatlantic shipping could easily be $100 on something the size and weight of a guitar). The price could near enough double, in other words. Assuming customs catches it, which it probably will.

I mean, sorry for coming across so hard, but in Europe they're just not really an option, most of the time. In the USA, maybe even Canada, sure, they're a good shout from the looks of things. But there are just too many darn hidden fees in Europe to really make them worthwhile in most cases...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gotta back Dave up here. Importing guitars into the UK costs big bucks (can't speak for other EU countries, but I assume they're similar).

You used to be able to make it pay with high end guitars, where you could maybe get a Gibson for £500 less than UK prices and the taxes would only be a couple of hundred, but they tightened up on it about 5+ years ago and now it's just not worth it for any type of guitar.

It has never been worth importing cheap guitars.

Vintage are probably the best TS can do with his budget.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Mar 9, 2014,
I pointed out an option worth investigation, even with a fixed VAT it's still worth investigation. Duty is based on HTS# so that's an unknown. (I'm not looking).

I don't care. Suggest something better to help the dude out then.
Quote by GaryBillington
Gotta back Dave up here. Importing guitars into the UK costs big bucks (can't speak for other EU countries, but I assume they're similar).

You used to be able to make it pay with high end guitars, where you could maybe get a Gibson for £500 less than UK prices and the taxes would only be a couple of hundred, but they tightened up on it about 5+ years ago and now it's just not worth it for any type of guitar.

Ok - I hear you.
Yes i was worried about the vat rates, Its 23% in ireland, but i can get it shipped to the UK, I work in Northern Ireland, So is jack and danny guitars worth getting ?
Im not looking for anything amazing, just something that looks and sounds okay, doesnt need to be a studio model or that
^ I dunno, I've never tried them. I didn't much like my one (that was enough) experience with Music Store. Personally I'd avoid them, they seemed to operate a policy (at least in my experience with them) that worked on the principle that since you weren't in Germany, you could basically do jack shit to them and they didn't care. Thomann is much better, if you ask me.

If you're in NI/Ireland vintages might well be worth a look, as gary said. I've seen some going for around the £150-£160 (new) on Ebay from shops. Slightly above your budget, but maybe worth considering.

Quote by GaryBillington

You can still make it pay if you're saving enough (and willing to take on the risk)- but you're not normally saving anywhere near enough on a cheaper guitar.

Quote by Marrowoflife
I pointed out an option worth investigation, even with a fixed VAT it's still worth investigation. Duty is based on HTS# so that's an unknown. (I'm not looking).

I don't care. Suggest something better to help the dude out then.

It's not, though, that's the point. He said his budget was 150 euros or less. You linked to a guitar which cost 160 euros, and which would have high (possibly 100 euros if not more) shipping costs, not to mention importing fees likely to total 25-30% of the total cost (including that shipping fee). Plus tons more risk than buying locally. And then got pissed when I called you on it and claimed you hadn't made a mistake and were well aware of all those fees (which I call BS on, if you were aware of them you wouldn't have suggested the thing in the first place). And you still claim it's worth investigating. It isn't. It's going to end up double his original budget, at least.

As Gary says, Vintage is probably worth a look with that kind of budget.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vintage is the name of a euro based guitar company that is similar to Agile (but no where's near as many options) they seem to specialize more in copies of fender and Gibson guitars. as I mentioned I have one of their SG copies and it is pretty good.
Quote by peter3clarke
So is jack and danny guitars worth getting ?

Can't comment on their electrics, but I have an acoustic made by them & it's extremely good for the money.

I actually bought it when I was in an acoustic duo running open mic nights, so I had a cheap guitar there for other people to borrow. Liked it so much I used it myself and bought an even cheaper guitar to lend out!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Anybody used Jack and Danny or Harley Benton electrics ?
What guitars for under 150€ i play mostly pop rock sort of stuff
It's been mentioned but I strongly back up Vintage if you're looking for a cheaper LP type in the UK. Even a used one would probably be loads better than some generic rebranded LP that you could find new.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's been mentioned but I strongly back up Vintage if you're looking for a cheaper LP type in the UK. Even a used one would probably be loads better than some generic rebranded LP that you could find new.

Do they have a website ? thank you
Quote by peter3clarke
Do they have a website ? thank you

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageiconguitars.html

Scroll down and you'll see the LP options they have.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Okay I really dont want to be rude or sound like a spoilt child, But im just looking for a nice playing guitar under 150€ Does not need to be a studio model, just good enough for the odd gig
I think the point is you probably won't find a good, nice playing guitar for under 150 euros. You could spend a little extra and get a nice guitar that you won't need to upgrade, or you can get a cheap, crappy guitar that you'll grow out of really quick and you'll end up spending even MORE money then you would've in the first place to either:

Get it working the way you want it to when you can actually play properly and can tell a crappy guitar from a good one or taking a loss trying to sell it when you need money for a good guitar.

If you just want a guitar, then you can get whatever one is cheaper for you but realistically you won't be getting anything good for dirt cheap like that.

Used a Vintage goes for like 100-150 euros.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-v100-les-paul-guitar-/111297456482?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19e9d86962
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
See thats what ive done, ive outgrown my cheap 60€guitar which i sold at a profit I could stretch to 200, But i realistic need this to last, and play well ? Im sorry to bother you, its just i cant financially afford to mess this us by buying a poor guitar :/
Quote by peter3clarke
See thats what ive done, ive outgrown my cheap 60€guitar which i sold at a profit I could stretch to 200, But i realistic need this to last, and play well ? Im sorry to bother you, its just i cant financially afford to mess this us by buying a poor guitar :/

You need a guitar to last but you're looking at budget brands like Harley-Benton and Jack & Denny and thinking that you won't run into the same problems that you've run into before?

You're basically wasting your money if you keep buying junk. Save your money until you can buy something nicer then.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Maybe im too hopeful, Im currently looking at vintage models, any other recommendations, I just want something that sounds decent and looks good ?
Honestly, if you want something that sounds good and looks good, Vintage is one of your few options. There are nice guitars out there but they wont come with the same visual stuff as the vintage guitars, especially for the price.

If you like LPs and that's the style you want, that's basically the cheapest you'll get in the UK. If you were in the US, you'd have a few more options.

If you don't need the LP shape, you can look at guitars like the Yamaha Pacifica or try to find a nice used guitar locally. Aside from that, your options are limited IMO. You'd end up paying the same for a new Vintage anyway.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Okay, well thank you, i really appreciate it, ill let you know what i decide on

If i got an good sounding amp, would that take improve a poor guitar ?
I'd say an amp is a bit more important sound wise, but if you don't have a guitar that you like to play/isn't comfortable to play, that can be a major hindrance.

Ideally it's best to have a good amp and a good guitar, but if I had to choose what to get first, I'd get an amp unless the guitar I'm playing is catastrophically terrible. Just IMO, I'm sure other people feel the opposite.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by peter3clarke
Okay I really dont want to be rude or sound like a spoilt child, But im just looking for a nice playing guitar under 150€ Does not need to be a studio model, just good enough for the odd gig

sadly this doesn't go hand in hand. on the low end, quality and nice playing take a hit the cheaper you go. I would think that you could find a used Vintage for that price though.

while a good amp can still sound half way decent even with a crap guitar it you won't be getting the most out of the amp. won't make the guitar play any better either.

I know you are getting a bit frustrated but although we all want a great guitar cheap it really doesn't go that way. not saying you have to spenda fortune but you are kinda below the level where you can expect reasonable quality. no point in making a slight upgrade.
Quote by monwobobbo
sadly this doesn't go hand in hand. on the low end, quality and nice playing take a hit the cheaper you go. I would think that you could find a used Vintage for that price though.

while a good amp can still sound half way decent even with a crap guitar it you won't be getting the most out of the amp. won't make the guitar play any better either.

I know you are getting a bit frustrated but although we all want a great guitar cheap it really doesn't go that way. not saying you have to spenda fortune but you are kinda below the level where you can expect reasonable quality. no point in making a slight upgrade.

Okay thanks everybody,after frustration ive decided to purchase this, i got an advance in wages, and a friend has given my a mini marshal for a few weeks,
http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/GBP/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=GIT0015697-000%40MusicStore-MusicStoreShop&JumpTo=OfferList

Thanks for your help,
The link isn't working. What is it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Jack and Danny set neck LP-type.

Might well be fine, I dunno. I haven't tried it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why am I not surprised
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Page 1 of 2