hello all. I used to have a macbook pro and logic 5, and loved it. but i ended up selling the computer 2 years ago because i needed the money and i wasnt doing much production anymore. but now im hoping to do a jazz/funk/fusiony album in the mid/late summer, and need to compose and make some simple demos so that i dont have to write out really complicated charts for the musicians. i would prefer to not spend 300 dollars, and ideally someone can recommend somethings in the 200 dollar range.

here is what i need.

obviously, i need an audio interface. at least for now, the only "live" instrument i will record is guitar. it will have to be a usb interface, because i dont have firewire. and i dont want anything super complicated.

i will need a daw. i run PC now, but i loved logic, because it had everything (and more) that i needed. here is, the very least, what i absolutely need. i need a simple, easy to use layout, i only need basic but decent sounding effects. (i wont be running alot of effects, since its just for composing and demos.) and i absolutely need need need NEED some very good sounding sample sounds. a great array of keyboard sounds, (hammond sounds, wurlitzer, fender rhodes, classic synth sounds, and at least a usable acoustic piano sound), decent usable acoustic drum sounds. usable horn and string sounds is also a plus, but not a deal breaker.

anything else is just icing on the cake. i have a little 1.5 octave midi keyboard that i use laying down drums and keyboards and stuff for demos.

thanks guy! appreciate the help.

and as an edit, i just want to be clear; when i say great sampled sounds/instruments, i DO NOT mean loops. ill play or use step entry for keys and drums, but i need decent usable sounds or i wont be inspired.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Mar 9, 2014,
Have you read the stickies?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
yes, sir. i have. none of them tell me what in my budget will allow me the most usable keyboard sounds. also, i see alot of recording packs, like the one i linked to, that are in my budget, that include daw and interface. are there any of these that would meet my needs within my budget? thanks.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Oatmeal has a variety of sounds you can use.

Give it a try.
The symphonizer
Search "free vst" in google. (i hated saying that it made me sound like a jerk). But there is a lot of websites with lots of free vsts. There are some brilliant ones out there.
do they all work with any daw? but as of right now, i dont have an interface or a daw. which of the affordable daws have the best selection of keyboard sounds. (the sounds i asked about ealier? i will use both midi keyboards and probably some step entry.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Ableton, Cubase, Fruity Loops, i think Studio One uses VST. Reaper?
Cubase gives you a free trial. And they have 3 purchasing options. The cheapest one is affordable and i think will serve you well. I'm sure the other DAWs have free trials also.

I suggest a Presonus Audio Box USB interface and a Shure Sm58 dynamic microphone. You can use this microphone on Guitar amps, drums and vocals. It is largely used as a "live" microphone. But it is still a great microphone for the studio - especially if you'll just be doing demos.

As for the sounds you want. Seriously just try Free "instrument name* VST". You will have to be careful with the architecture of the VST V.s your DAW. I.e you can't run a 32bit VST in a 64bit DAW.
im not too concerned with microphones because ill be DI the guitar usually anyway. I would prefer a daw that includes excellent virtual instrument sounds because thats what im used to from when i ran logic 5 on my macbook pro, and because i wouldnt even know where to begin with using a downloaded VST in my DAW. it may be really easy to do, but i have no clue how you do that.

and by the way, thank you for the detailed input. it is much appreciated!
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
VST's are really easy to implement into a DAW. If theres something you don't get just Google it and usually they'll be a video tutorial on how to do it. Makes it really easy to follow. As a musician i know your capable. Thats what i do when i use Ableton.
Grab the free 30-day trial of Ableton and see if that suits you. There's a bit of a learning curve but nothing you can't get over with some time to spare during the trial. Loads of great samples, and lots of flexibility for composing and arranging, especially if you ever use loops.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by diabolical
Ableton doesn't handle meter changes within a song. Just FYI. I found out the hard way - after I bought it

It definitely does. You should be able to automate changes on the master track. Did you research options extensively online? There are definitely ways to pull it off.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
so what is the consensus on ableton? does it handle meter changes within a song? because im working on a song that goes from common time to 7/4
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Ableton doesn't, at least not in ver.6 They are also one of the few that seem to spit out a new version every year, drop support for the old one and make you upgrade all the time...I didn't feel comfortable with them while I used it. At that time it handled tempo changes only. You have to start and finish in the same meter, say 4/4 or 7/8 from start to end. I gave up on it in ver. 6 so it is possible they recently changed that. I didn't like the interface as much as some of the others, especially for professional mixing, it was kinda backwards, as if you're coming from DJ land. They did have some cool sounds though.

My money is currently on Studio One. The Presonus bundle you mentioned above will work great for you. The Producer has great vst instruments bundled in and the guitar amp emulation software now even uses outside IR so you can load your own cab simulations, etc.

Depends on your budget really but in this case I' say go with the DAW that is most comfortable to you.

I'd suggest you try to see what you like and then possibly spring for a package deal as that way you save some $ on the DAW and might come in with some other bundled in software.

Plenty of DAWs out there: Sonar, Studio One, Reaper, Tracktion, Ableton, Cubase, Pro Tools, Acid, etc...

Visit www.soundonsound.com and check their database as they usually review the most recent versions of these DAWs.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 12, 2014,
thanks guys! i will probably go with the package i linked to in a month or so, till then, i think ill just borrow my friends macbook pro and use garage band and my midi controller to work on demos, minus guitar. ill either just plug into the 1/8 inch in and get a really terrible guitar track (its just for demos) or forgo tracking any guitar and just play along to the midi track so that people know what it should sound like. thanks alot everyone, and please, if anyone else has anything to add feel free, since it will probably be a month or so before i make a purchase.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
i actually do like using garageband. i used to use logic on my mac, and was familiar with garageband. the only downside is ill be borrowing the computer and garageband doesnt have great keyboard and horn sounds. they are usable, though. i spose i can search for some free vst to get me through.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
You will soon find out "free" doesn't always mean crappy. Sometimes free is AMAZING.
i dont think free means crappy. but i am suspicious that no one is naming specifics.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
We have a thread full of good free amp sims if that helps.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
i appreciate pointing that out. ill check the thread out. but my concern is great trumpet, sax, and keyboard sounds. (you know how most guitar sounds will please non guitar players? i want keyboard and horn sounds that please keybaord and horn players haha. mostly because logic had that, and im used to working with those sounds.)
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Yeah, you can't get stuff like that for free unless your DAW already comes with it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I went for the iRig Keys:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigkeys/
At the time it was $100 and came in with 3 of their synths, which you got to choose.
So I got Sampletank, Miroslav and one of their other synths.

Try their free one first:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank/index.php?pp=sampletank-2-xl-versions
Quote by diabolical
I went for the iRig Keys:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigkeys/
At the time it was $100 and came in with 3 of their synths, which you got to choose.
So I got Sampletank, Miroslav and one of their other synths.

Try their free one first:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank/index.php?pp=sampletank-2-xl-versions

thanks alot!!!!!
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.