Hey guys,

So around 2 months ago I got a new job, which envolves me working 6 days a week and I work about 60 hours a week. So as you can image, I no longer have a social life and i pretty much: eat work sleep.

I've just realised how down hill my playing has gone which is pretty sad as I have been playing guitar for almost 8 years, that been said I am slowly getting back to how I used to be.

So my question is how long have you guys gone without playing guitar? and if it was for a long number of time did you get back on the track? I am sort of scared that I might stop playing guitar in total.

Thanks
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Didn't play for about 3 or 4 years once. Got back into the swing of things within a couple of hours.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I quite often have breaks once a year, that lasts 1-2 months. That's when i am not studying, teaching, playing gigs or doing other projects. In my opinion it's healthy to take a break from playing every once in a while. I often make up for the time i'm not practicing by discovering new music that i can transcribe when i get back to playing again.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
I regularly go a week or so without playing. If I'm not in the mood to play then why should I play?
Quote by GaryBillington
Didn't play for about 3 or 4 years once. Got back into the swing of things within a couple of hours.

Holy crap dude, that's fast for getting back up and running after such a long break.

The longest I haven't played is about 2 years. It wasn't a total hiatus, but I'd go three or four weeks at a time, pick it up for 5 mins, and then set it down again.

That ended about 3 months ago, when my guitar suddenly said "hey, remember me, I'm your friend, and you really like me!". I've been practicing pretty seriously again since then, and I'm probably hitting it about 20 hrs/week right now. I was rustier than hell when I first picked it back up, and it took me several weeks to get back to where things started feeling good again.
Around 20 years for me. Had to sell my 2 bass guitars and acoustic 6 string because I needed the cash. Started playing again last year when I bought the first Rocksmith game and a cheap crappy DIY guitar kit.

Have since then bought a cheap Superstrat and progressed onto Rocksmith 2014 and Session Mode is worth its weight in gold. Am nowhere near getting my mojo back though but haven't been practicing that much. If I can get off my arse and practice regularly it'll probably take a month or two to get back to where I was 20 years ago, and I wasn't that good back then lol
Quote by se012101
Holy crap dude, that's fast for getting back up and running after such a long break.

The longest I haven't played is about 2 years. It wasn't a total hiatus, but I'd go three or four weeks at a time, pick it up for 5 mins, and then set it down again.

That ended about 3 months ago, when my guitar suddenly said "hey, remember me, I'm your friend, and you really like me!". I've been practicing pretty seriously again since then, and I'm probably hitting it about 20 hrs/week right now. I was rustier than hell when I first picked it back up, and it took me several weeks to get back to where things started feeling good again.

Maybe, maybe not. I'd never claim to be a particularly great guitarist anyway, I guess someone who was more of a virtuouso would be hit harder by the break.

Also, I rarely practice during the week. I usually play for a couple of hours on Saturday & Sundays, which for me is more than enough to keep up to speed with my bands set list & learn a new song here & there.

May do a couple of extra hours if I need to learn a solo, but I've never felt the need to spend hours practicing on a daily basis. I guess because I've never practiced that regularly, I don't notice breaks so much?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Try not to quit! I wore out the frets on my acoustic guitar back in '94. So I decided to just stop playing till I'd get it fixed or buy a new one. Well, one thing led to another and 20 years went by! Much later on I went to a BB King Concert in Fresno, New Years night 2010. I knew BB's Bus driver so I got to meet BB and his Band after the concert. Well later on I got to go to a sort of after hours party in at the Hotel where BB and his band were staying that night (morning) I was talking to BB's Base Guitar player and told him why I quit playing. The Base player strongly suggested to get back to playing guitar no matter how long I quit. So I bought a new Tele. Man, I wish I would have never quit in the fist place. Quitting is like loosing your arms or legs, your not a whole person till you start making sweet music again!
Last edited by greyboomer at Mar 12, 2014,
A dozen years or so (c. 1999 - 2011). I had no money and all my gear got as broke as I was. Took it up again about 3 years ago. Much better this time.
Quote by greyboomer
Quitting is like loosing you arms or legs, you not a whole person till you start making sweet music again!

Man, I know what you mean! Those two years I wasn't playing...it wasn't that I was unhappy - I have a great wife and kids, and they give me a lot of happiness. But something was missing, and it was only when I started playing again that I was like "This is it. This is what was missing all that time".
I frequently take breaks of about 10 days, 2 weeks at the most. I've discovered that I write my best stuff my first day back after a break. There's nothing wrong with taking a break for a while, as long as you can still pick it up every once in a while and get some time in.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
the longest I've went without playing is 2 weeks because the strings on all 4 of my guitars whacked out within a few days of eachother
By the time a got new strings, my hands were twitching and my soul felt feeble. since about a year ago, Ive been taking regular breaks of about a week or a few days every once in a while.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1