Hi,

So I'm looking for a cheap bass rig for home recording. I'm a guitarist, so I know very little about basses and bass amps. I'm looking for a basic rock bass, that can do a little bit of everything. Price should be low, I don't want to pay more than 300€ for both. I live in Finland, and I'll probably be buying used.

I'm not even sure if I'll get anything half decent with 300, so if you think I'll only get rubbish with that, feel free to suggest something a bit steeper.

Style-wise, I'm not a big fan of precision-, or jazz- type basses.
If you're just recording, you don;t need an amp. Buy a USB soundcard/DI.

As for a bass, if you don't want a Fender style then look at Ibanez or Yamaha. They're both know for good quality at low prices plus their cheapest models are easily upgraded.

I'd reccomend a GSR 200. It's not a Fender and you can eventually get some really great upgrades for it.
Quote by Spaz91
If you're just recording, you don;t need an amp. Buy a USB soundcard/DI.

As for a bass, if you don't want a Fender style then look at Ibanez or Yamaha. They're both know for good quality at low prices plus their cheapest models are easily upgraded.

I'd reccomend a GSR 200. It's not a Fender and you can eventually get some really great upgrades for it.

Right now I'm using a zoom h3n recorder, and it has a soundcard and I can plug straight into that, I guess. Do you think that will be as good as using a seperate soundcard box thing?

The Ibanez looks good, what would you upgrade first for this particular instrument?
If you want to buy a GSR 200 and upgrade, its not worth it really. Look for a used SR series bass from Ibanez then.
Quote by AmIEvil?
The Ibanez looks good, what would you upgrade first for this particular instrument?

See:
Quote by anarkee
If you want to buy a GSR 200 and upgrade, its not worth it really. Look for a used SR series bass from Ibanez then.

I wasn't suggesting an upgrade right away, just if the GSR fit in your budget to begin with.

I've no experience with the H3N but I do reccomend getting a decent quality external soundcard or mixer that you can plug both guitars and microphones into, they make recoridng far simpler and you keep the quality high. I wouldn't reccomend the one I use as I've had to dismantle and fix it several times and the original manufacturer has ceased support for it. The costs of these can go from £30 upwards so I suppose whatever's left in your budget will have to do.

If you got a cheap soundcard, you might even have enough for a second hand SR500 which is a gigging standard bass (if the fancy ever takes you.) Really, you just can't go wrong with Ibanez if you aren't a Fender fan.
Jon, honestly as much as I like them as starters, they aren't really worth upgrading IMHO. It would be like putting expensive rims on a Ford Pinto. I would just go for the SR now--you can get them for well under 300 bucks used.
Quote by anarkee
It would be like putting expensive rims on a Ford Pinto.

Thou shalt not mock the classic!!!

These things were an integral part of my youth!

Pretty cool rims, too!

TS, spend your money on a decent bass and go direct into your computer for recording, unless you are doing it the old analog way with tape.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Mar 9, 2014,
For a bass, have a look for a used Peavey Milestone - I got mine for £50 and it's a great guitar.

For recording kit, go to the Recordings forum & read the stickies.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for the input guys!

I'll be getting a soundcard + bass, and probably an amplug later to fool around with.

This is what I'm getting most likely:
http://www.thomann.de/fi/focusrite_scarlett_2i2_toontrack_bundle.htm

As for the peavey, it's not the style of bass I was looking for but if it's decent quality and dirt cheap, I'll have to reconsider. Anyone else recommend the peavey?

What do you guys think of this Yamaha RBX260:
http://muusikoiden.net/tori/nayta.php?id=856594
Says it's in good condition, 150€. Thomann sells a 270 version new for 250€

edit: http://muusikoiden.net/tori/nayta.php?id=856514 found this also, Yamaha RBX170 for 80€. RBX180 goes for 178€ new on Thomann
Last edited by AmIEvil? at Mar 10, 2014,
RBX are good but on par with the GSR range. 150 Euros seems a decent price.

Good call on the soundcard, though I'm willing to bet the software will be trach (bundled software usually is.) Out of interest, which program do you use for recording?

Quote by anarkee
Jon, honestly as much as I like them as starters, they aren't really worth upgrading IMHO.

We shall agree to disagree, I love a good turdpolish. The £50 Oxfam bass is going to blow you away, you'll see.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Mar 10, 2014,
Quote by Spaz91
RBX are good but on par with the GSR range. 150 Euros seems a decent price.

Good call on the soundcard, though I'm willing to bet the software will be trach (bundled software usually is.) Out of interest, which program do you use for recording?

We shall agree to disagree, I love a good turdpolish. The £50 Oxfam bass is going to blow you away, you'll see.

For now I'm using Garage Band. Oddly enough, the bundle costs 5€ more than just the soundcard. I already have the full version of EZ drummer, which I've found to be very high quality (software is actually very limited in terms of editing and mixing and whatnot, but the sound quality is very good to my ears. It's 10x better than I'll get by recording real drums by a good drummer, and obv the machine is a lot better drummer also ), so I'll just try to sell the drum software. The mixing software might be useful for mixing the drums. That has thus far been a big minus in EZ drummer, the lack of mixing options in the software itself.

What about the even cheaper RBX?
Last edited by AmIEvil? at Mar 10, 2014,
The cheaper RBX will be of lower quality but has a bridge pickup so you'll have more variety, it's a tough call. I couldn't give you an honest reccomendation as I've played neither bass.

Have you considered a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass? They're cheap, versatile and I can actually vouch for their quality too.
Quote by Spaz91
The cheaper RBX will be of lower quality but has a bridge pickup so you'll have more variety, it's a tough call. I couldn't give you an honest reccomendation as I've played neither bass.

Have you considered a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass? They're cheap, versatile and I can actually vouch for their quality too.

I haven't, but if you say they're good I might.
What about the special version?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-electric-bass-guitar-special/h71306
It's damn good for the price; all the bass you'll ever need if you're just recording. Watch out though, it has an active bass boost meaning it needs a 9v battery to play so don't leave it plugged in.
Spend your dough on a decent bass and record direct. No need for an amp unless you plan to play live. Even then a lot of top bass players in LA just run a preamp to the house system these days.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I did the same thing you're doing some time ago; was asked to play bass on a project even though I didn't own one.

I found a (don't laugh) Fender Squier Skull Bass, used, on a GC wall for about $100, used. It has both P and J (Precision Bass and Jazz Bass) pickups and a basic control system and four strings on a full-size bass. Turns out that you can play bass for the rest of your life on one of these.

They don't encourage you to take it to church for services, however.

I also picked up a Line 6 Bass Pod XT used (around $80). Looks like this:

Line 6 no longer makes these, but here's the information http://line6.com/legacy/basspodxt It has "Discrete Processed & DI Outputs" for recording, 1/4" outputs to run into a PA, power amp or direct into a pair of studio monitors. Built in headphone jack. Footpedals are available (and can be found used) and this thing models a ton of bass amps and cabinets.

At this point, I've added a Carvin LB75 (neck-through five-string active pickup 24-fret bass), and I'm able to run the Pod into a pair of KRK Rokit 8's for quiet small-room practice, into a 1500W power amp and a pair of fEARless F115s for un-reinforced playing out, and/or direct (DI) into a PA mixer.
haha loving the graphics! I wouldn't mind though, I'll probably never play this bass where people can see me

Do you think the best idea is to get some kind of modeling preamp (something like the Line6 or maybe a Tech21 SansAmp?) or get software with modeling?
There's nothing like that worth getting that will fit in your current budget with the bass and sound card. If you really do want a standard rock bass sound though, I reccomend the Sansamp VT Bass.
there are some free software though? At least for guitar there are some decent ones (or so I've heard). Shouldn't I be getting something to get the sound I want? Otherwise it's just a plain untouched signal right? Maybe there's a gain knob on the usb interface but that's pretty much it.
There's tons of free amp modelling VSTs out there. Of course there are "free" ones too.

The software I use for production is called Reaper and it has a built in VST called JS Guitar Amp Model, it has a preset for a Fender Bassman which is obviously a great amp. If you can get that plugin outside of Reaper you should try it out.

Alternatively, try Reaper. It's a tad more professional than Garageaband; it's not free but the unpaid license is infinite; it has an active community meaning if you find something broken that it gets fixed in a day or so. Reaper. (You'll need the USB soundcard for it to work properly.)
I'll check out Reaper, though for now I'll have to do with free software.

Any opinion on Samick Basses? Looks pretty good, within my price range. Apparently it's from 1999 and mainly unused.
http://muusikoiden.net/tori/nayta.php?id=856882

I've understood that some LTD's are pretty decent as well. Here's an ESP LTD b-154dx, selling for 319€, probably could get that down to 250-270.
http://muusikoiden.net/tori/nayta.php?id=857436
Last edited by AmIEvil? at Mar 12, 2014,
I just bought a Harley Benton bass guitar at thomann. So far only good experiences with Harley Benton. http://a1.images5.thomann.de/pics/prod/264960.jpg
And they look and sound quite awesome considering the prices. I'm also a guitarist so I run it trough my guitar amp which surprisingly works very well.

For recording I use Guitar Rig 5, very nice software