Page 1 of 2
I always cringe when I see a guitar for sale and the pictures show it laying down on surfaces where it probably shouldn't be laying down on, such as directly on carpet (especially top down), or outside in the grass & leaves, like this guitar:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/4330060296.html
I'd think that could be bad for the guitar - at a minimum, I'd think that could scratch the paint or get it dirty; and I'd think that laying a guitar top-down on carpet could get carpet fuzz in the pickups & other electronics.. Why would someone do that to a guitar, especially if it's one they're trying to sell?
Carpet fuzz? Seriously?

There's nothing wrong with taking pictures like that. Its not like they're letting the headstock carry all the weight while standing on it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 9, 2014,
Jesus. Not the carpet, imagine if they started using similar materials to line cases.

I draw the line at beds. Why put a valuable instrument on a soft surface that people enjoy jumping on? I mean, WHY?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

I'm more concerned about people constantly removing the neck on a guitar I want to buy.
What if they put it in a guitar case? It might get the fuzzy lining on it! OH NOES!
Quote by Mephaphil
Jesus. Not the carpet, imagine if they started using similar materials to line cases.

Well, people don't walk all over the inside of a guitar case..
Quote by jpnyc
What if they put it in a guitar case? It might get the fuzzy lining on it! OH NOES!

A guitar case tends to be a lot cleaner though. People and pets tend not to walk all over the inside of a guitar case, for instance.
Quote by CalicoSkies
A guitar case tends to be a lot cleaner though. People and pets tend not to walk all over the inside of a guitar case, for instance.

Idk, I've learned that cats seem to be magnetically attracted to open guitar cases. I think that's a big reason why I hate cats.

Maybe I should hate myself more since I always forget about that when a cat is around.
Quote by Dimarzio45
Idk, I've learned that cats seem to be magnetically attracted to open guitar cases. I think that's a big reason why I hate cats.

Maybe I should hate myself more since I always forget about that when a cat is around.

Seems like a simple solution would be to close the guitar case.
Last edited by CalicoSkies at Mar 9, 2014,
Quote by CalicoSkies
Seems like a simple solution would be to close the guitar case.

Bright side - There's never a guitar in it when a furry little shit decides to lay there.
I just find it odd that the guitar is in good condition despite that the owner most likely doesn't give 2 shits about handling it properly
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
This thread can't be real
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dimarzio45
Hey, it's not like the guy's selling a '68 Goldtop...

Yeah, but I still wouldn't set a guitar down bare onto the ground with grass/sticks/etc.. wouldn't matter what kind of guitar it is. I dunno.. I just like to take care of my stuff.
how long have you been playing?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
how long have you been playing?

Me? I've been playing about 20 years.
Quote by Dimarzio45
Hey, it's not like the guy's selling a '68 Goldtop...

oops.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by CalicoSkies
Me? I've been playing about 20 years.

somehow i thought playing longer would inevitably lead to caring less about little aesthetic details about your guitars. i've been playing for 8, and i baby my guitars less than i did when i started.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
somehow i thought playing longer would inevitably lead to caring less about little aesthetic details about your guitars. i've been playing for 8, and i baby my guitars less than i did when i started.

I still like to take care of my stuff. But I'd think that letting a guitar sit in the dirt/grass or concrete, etc. may do more damage than just cosmetic damage. A stick could poke in between the pickup & pickguard and maybe damage a wire. Water from the grass might get in and rust some of the components. Besides, would you intentionally do anything to the stuff you own to cause damage to it? Some damage might be only cosmetic, but I certainly still would rather my stuff not be scraped up. I'm certainly not going to set one of my guitars face-down in the grass.

I suppose some people really like the relic look, but that's not my thing..
Yep. You don't want sticks randomly poking in wires.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

IMO, you're paranoid.

I'm convinced that if we were to enter total nuclear war, only two things would survive...

Cockroaches

Poly-finished guitars.

I tend to keep shiny guitars, but it's only because they're poly-finished, were they finished with something thinner/less durable like nitro, my strat would look like either SRV's or Rory Gallagher's...

As far as damaging electrics? I've seen people accidentally puke on guitars, then clean them back up and play them no problem. You've got some hell of a stick if it pokes through plastic/wood/metal to damage wiring... That, or you've got really thin, shitty materials.

Sure, if there's standing water on the ground...bad idea. Otherwise a wee moisture is no different than your own sweat. Not advisable, but not a death sentence for the hardware.

A lot of people like taking pictures of their guitars outside, because they look better under natural sunlight.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Last edited by Just_a_picker at Mar 10, 2014,
I've seen a few pictures of guitars laying in the snow so yeah there are a lot of idiots. But its their gear so who cares. If you're that worried about condition just buy new. I treat my guitars better than I do myself but I still play them so they do wear down.
Quote by CalicoSkies
Yeah, but I still wouldn't set a guitar down bare onto the ground with grass/sticks/etc.. wouldn't matter what kind of guitar it is. I dunno.. I just like to take care of my stuff.

On a serious note, I do agree with you. If it's a nice, expensive guitar, I'd never lay it on anything that could possibly put a scratch in it, unless it's a matt finish guitar. Poly tends to get lots of faint scratches easily. I'd never set my tele on the ground, carpet doesn't bother me, but the ground is not good. My Squier on the otherhand, I could care less, in fact, I'd prefer to put even more scratches and dents in it since it has a polyester finish which is practically bomb proof(and heavy) and is about 4 mil thick.

Any guitar over $500 I wouldn't set on the ground.
What exactly is going to happen to the guitar that couldn't be fixed by wiping it off with a cloth? What are some leaves and twigs going to do? Make it feel sad it's not a tree any more?

If you nubs switched to carbon fiber you could make a sundae on it and then just rinse it off in the sink.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf2w2zMNvzE
This is one of the better threads I've read in here in a long while. It's feeling really 2009 'round these parts.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Mephaphil
Yep. You don't want sticks randomly poking in wires.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Any guitar over $500 I wouldn't set on the ground.

check out my new guitar stand!

no i kid but seriously. what about a tele? teles can lay anywhere.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 10, 2014,
I don't know about surfaces but I don't like the photos with the neck off either. I saw a nice tele on Craigslist and the ninth or tenth photo was the guitar completely stripped with almost every component removed. That's a turnoff. Unless you're showing the 1959 date stamp on your strat neck just keep it in one piece please.
Quote by Spud Spudly
I don't know about surfaces but I don't like the photos with the neck off either. I saw a nice tele on Craigslist and the ninth or tenth photo was the guitar completely stripped with almost every component removed. That's a turnoff. Unless you're showing the 1959 date stamp on your strat neck just keep it in one piece please.

YES! That was the 1st thing I could think of with,"Things that bother me about some guitar sellers". lol
Let see, I had a Gibson LP that was left in the rain 14-15 yrs ago. it played fine afterwards when I drained the water out of it

My PRS gets beat-up pretty bad, but I bought it to play not baby

LOL at Greg

TS is the kinda guy who buys a big 4x4 on 36" tires but won't take it off paved roads because it could get dirty
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I draw the line at guitars dragged behind pickup trucks.

Last edited by Virgman at Mar 11, 2014,
I agree with the OP, I hate seeing guitars for sale that are laying out on the concrete driveway or sitting in the snow etc. Maybe I'm overly protective of my gear, but I've always taken exceptional care of all my stuff. Regular wear through use is one thing, subjecting valuable things to unnecessarily harsh treatment for a photo is just not my thing.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's a strat, someone would still buy it if they were using it for a tree felling axe.

My strat's retired and now a door stop... id burn it, but it was the first guitar i could really "wail" on... so its sentimental.
Quote by Virgman
I draw the line at guitars dragged behind pickup trucks.

this is how you make the Fender Strat "road worn"

of course, it was just easier to play the finish off it
I'm a little more agitated that the guy is selling that terrible start for $250 bucks. It's a Jay Turser with a Squier neck man!
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Page 1 of 2