Hello all,

I am new to the world of overdrive pedals (and tube amps generally). I have a Mesa Rectoverb and I am looking to get into Death or Carcass territory. I would like to buy a clean boost and I was wondering what I should buy. I hear a lot about the Boss DS1 and the Screamer TS/9 but what is the difference? Which one would be best for me? Or is there another choice that would better suit my needs?

Thanks.
The DS-1 is a shit boost, hell, it's just a shit pedal. Some sort of tubescreamer would do the deed but really, MXR 10 band EQ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For the tubescreamer look at the Joyo Vintage Overdrive - it's a clone of the Maxon 808 and it's $30 on Amazon. I use it and it gets good reviews in general.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Joyo are built by dyslexic monkeys on meth.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Any Tubescreamer or a clone of some kind will do the trick.

If you're wanting a TS pedal without spending a fortune, the Joyo Vintage Overdrive is a good call. Granted it's not built like a tank, but it'll do the job. Not a bad sound coming from such a cheap pedal. Just don't throw it about and you'll be fine But considering you have a Rectoverb, I'm guessing you have access to a bit more money, so invest in something like a proper tubescreamer
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
It'll do the job if all the components are actually soldered in place properly. Joyo pedals are good if you are prepared to rebuild them because they're cheaper than the cost of parts. If treated as a DIY kit they aren't too bad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
DigiTech Bad Monkey is the end all be all of cheap Tubescresmers. I would take one over a Joyo in a heartbreak.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I agree, when it comes to cheap tubescreamers, the Bad Monkey is the business. I've been using one myself. I still say a 10 band MXR is what I'd want most though. Both is what you really want.
If you've got the cash to spend, I'd go an MXR 10 and a Green Rhino. I'd probably throw a Soul Food into the mix too, or a Timmy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i have no experience with most of the joyos, but truthfully any TS type pedal will work great. something about the mid boost in those types of pedals really helps "tighten" up dirty tones. get the best that you can afford and look for used. all TS pedals pretty much sound exactly the same, especially in the mix.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
The Bad Monkey has a bass knob too
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tubescreamer and SD1 variants are the obvious safe choices. For something different sounding Mt-2 is also good choice. Its a shit distortion pedal but good clean boost. Cannibal corpse uses one to boost a Mesa.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Oh... by clean boost you mean overdrive...
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Thank you all for the suggestions. I used to own a MT-2 and hated it. I will probably go with a tube screamer or a clone.

If I end up also buying an eq. such as the mxr-10, should I still use the tone controls on the amp or set them all to noon and only use the eq?
Quote by helies
Thank you all for the suggestions. I used to own a MT-2 and hated it. I will probably go with a tube screamer or a clone.

If I end up also buying an eq. such as the mxr-10, should I still use the tone controls on the amp or set them all to noon and only use the eq?

Get the tone as good as you can on the amp, and then use the EQ to really nail what you want it to do.

Keep in mind that if you're using an EQ up front as a boost like Cath is suggesting, the actual tone shaping power it has will be quite subdued, as opposed to using it "properly" in the FX Loop.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Any tubescreamer/overdrive will do my friend. Gain - 0, Tone - Half, Volume - Full and it should sound great, i use those settings with my tubescreamer on my boss gt-10, not a real pedal but it sounds just like the real thing to me (i've tested side by side). Don't use a distortion pedal to boost your signal unless you can return it, imo overdrive pedals preserve your tone a lot better yet still tighten the low end.
Quote by helies

You were probably using it as an actual distortion pedal. They shite at that. But apparently as a boost (vol max, gain 0) they are good, for stuff like death metal.