Thinking about getting an attenuator for live metal shows. I have a peavey 6505+ 120 watts, so I have a master volume. I don't want to melt the audiences faces by pointing my speakers at them. I was thinking get an attenuator and point my amp away from the audience and let the sound guy control volume levels through the amp mic. I want the attenuator so I can drive my power tubes to the point where it sounds good, but not be way to loud for smaller venues. Any of this sound like a good idea? I know I could just get a POD but I already spent the money on the big ass metal amp so why not use it. Thoughts?
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
The one I was thinking about purchasing is the Rivera Rock Crusher. The 500 dollar one without the equalizer in it.
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
You don't want power amp distortion for metal, use the volume knob.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You don't want power amp distortion for metal, use the volume knob.

Why is that? If you don't mind explaining.
-corey taylor
Power amp distortion is looser. The reason amps like yours have such huge power amps is so that the power section stays clean and the distortion comes purely from the preamp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Power amp distortion is looser. The reason amps like yours have such huge power amps is so that the power section stays clean and the distortion comes purely from the preamp.

Sweet thanks man, I did not know that.
-corey taylor
Yeah man, you want tight, defined riffing, not Eric Clapton wanking off into his guitar.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.