Poll: What is the most demanding summer job (physically)
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the most demanding summer job (physically)
Construction
8 15%
Roofing
12 22%
Landscaping
5 9%
Painting
0 0%
Bricklaying
3 6%
loading/furniture moving
4 7%
Warehouse worker
1 2%
Farm/farm related work
17 31%
Other
4 7%
Voters: 54.
Page 1 of 2
Well, that time is approaching guys and gals.

It's almost time to start thinking about summer jobs if you are a University/College Student, or even a High School student I suppose.

I want to know what the toughest, most back breaking summer jobs you guys have ever had were, and what you plan on doing this summer to make money.

Go!
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
i worked at a hotel for 3 days testing out the hot tubs and the massage beds/chairs
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I've worked at a golf course for the past like 8 summers. It's not terrible, but sometimes it can be really shitty. Especially with how humid and hot the summers are here, it can get unbearable.

This summer I hope to use my degree to do get an actual job and make enough to live on.
Last edited by chev311e at Mar 10, 2014,
working for a contractor were some of the shittiest jobs
last christmas i had to help dig out a septic tank that ruptured

for the most part ti was cool and gave me a sweet bod
Quote by British_Steal
Well, that time is approaching guys and gals.

It's almost time to start thinking about summer jobs if you are a University/College Student, or even a High School student I suppose.

I want to know what the toughest, most back breaking summer jobs you guys have ever had were, and what you plan on doing this summer to make money.

Go!

lol. I've had a year round job my entire university career. step your game up, pussies.

also, the most physically demanding is probably roofing. doesn't sound like much, but unless you've done it you have no idea how savagely hot a roof gets in the middle of august. I did it with my uncle once and could barely get through the day from the heat.

im told landscaping is probably the most intense in terms of actual physical exertion. never done it, but I've seen a few friends who started the job as thin little twigs end up completely ripped at the end of a summer of landscaping
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Mar 10, 2014,
I've done roofing and now that I've completed my degree I will never, ever do roofing again. I'll leave it to the meth heads and the desperate. I've done landscaping as well and while it's like, bad or whatever, just imagine doing it on a constant incline while pouring roofing tar and dropping nails and every other terrible thing that happens on a roof.
Bricklaying defs
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by chev311e
I've worked at a golf course for the past like 8 summers. It's not terrible, but sometimes it can be really shitty. Especially with how humid and hot the summers are here, it can get unbearable.

This summer I hope to use my degree to do get an actual job and make enough to live on.

living the caddyshack dream
Landscaping. After the third week, the monotony made me question my will to live.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Physical strain is like a butterfly on your head compared to the horrors and mental scarring of retail.

Never. Again.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
perhaps it's the place I worked but I really don't mind retail (which does entail quite a bit of physical activity depending on your position) (or none at all). that started as a summer job for me and I just continued into uni until a few weeks ago but I have another part-time job now so yeah.

I want to do an internship this summer which will either give me money or relevant experience for what I want to do in the future
cat
Also sex worker is rumored to be quite physical

only summer job i've had was cleaning the mansion of the ex-head of Tesco in the UK.

wasn't too bad though used to turn up late, eat some of their biscuits do a little work and then have a kick around with their lad and then go home at 12 and get paid £10/hour
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Physical strain is like a butterfly on your head compared to the horrors and mental scarring of retail.

Never. Again.

spoken like someone who hasn't had to work construction in 40 degree + weather.
Crew member on a wildland firefighting hand crew. Never did it during school but did a lot of wildland firefighting as part of my career. Nothing matches humping the boonies (roof) for 12 hours while cutting line (landscaping) with a 35 pound pack on your back, two layers of clothing and in the heat of the late summer in California. Oh, did I mention the fire? And how bitchin' it is?
Out of all the summer jobs I've had, working maintenance in college dorms was far and away the hardest. It was $10.50/hr, 40 hours a week, with no skills required, which almost made it worthwhile. Most of my days were spent in buildings with no air conditioning, moving all the furniture out of the rooms, waxing the floors, and moving them back in. It's amazing how quickly it can top 100 degrees in a place like that. If I was lucky, I'd be cleaning mold and fungus out of refrigerators, because none of the residents cleaned before they left. The worst part about it though was how vicious the main staff was to each other. Unbelievable amounts of backstabbing and blatant lying among the long-term employees.

It may not sound that hard, but someone (not on my work team, I didn't know them) died on the job from the heat/stress last summer. I'll be going back this year too.
Had a friend who was obligated to work for his father at summer. He made him carry coal bags. Shit was heavy and hot under sun. Thats the worst ive seen
Quote by Thrashtastic15
spoken like someone who hasn't had to work construction in 40 degree + weather.

Wasn't serious brah, there's a reason I'm not applied for a summer job at the local wood factory or whatever the fuck it is.

Well that and it's not worth it pay-wise, from what I've heard, at least when compared to what you hear from people in other parts of the country.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I worked for a local landscaping contractor for 5 years before last summer where I worked in high rise going up in Toronto as a sprinkler fitter. There were times over those five years that I thought I would never exert myself more than doing landscaping, but holy shit the fitting job easily topped that. There were a few weeks when me and my cousin would spend whole days just moving material, a 150lb 6"x10' pipe each, up 18 storeys. We did it manually because the elevator/lift union was striking and I would be shitting my pants on the stairs, literally mounted to the foundation of this building, absolutely terrified of heights. But it kept me in great shape and I met some awesome people on that site. Some of the best memories I have with my cousin as well.

I;ve always found there's something extremely satisfying about sweating your ass off all day and actually working hard for your pay cheque.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
I worked as a farm hand only like 10 hours a week for two summers. Then I worked one summer as a night stock employee at lowe's. I would work from 9 PM to 5 or 6 AM five days a week. To be honest working on the farm was harder even though I worked more hours and had to stay up all night at lowe's.

It gets mad hot up in the mow. If it's like 80 degrees outside and you're in a stuffy barn tossing hay, you're gonna get pretty uncomfortable.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by TheChaz
Summer job as a student? Year round job nig.

Maybe.

If your taking something easy or you that doesn't have a stupid amount of homework.

Im taking something in the engineering technology discipline. Last thing I want is a job during school when I have 27 hours of classes/labs and 25-30hrs of homework per week or more.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

Quote by chev311e

I've worked on a golf course as well. You on grounds crew? It's not back breaking, but that shit can get tough. Especially just waking up early to prep the course for the early golfers.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Picking up 40 pound hay bails across 10 acers, 105 degree weather, stacking them on a moving 24 foot fifth wheel trailer about 6 bails high. That sucked bad. Anyone who does that for a living is strong as hell and crazy.

Made $500 in two days though.
Quote by British_Steal
Maybe.

If your taking something easy or you that doesn't have a stupid amount of homework.

Im taking something in the engineering technology discipline. Last thing I want is a job during school when I have 27 hours of classes/labs and 25-30hrs of homework per week or more.

I'm working full time, and I'm a full time student doing my math and physics courses before I transfer as an EECS/Computer Engineering major. Sure, I probably won't be able to still be working full time once I transfer, but I'll still have to have a part time job. How else would I have money?
I dont understand summer jobs. Why can't you go to school and have a job year round? I do it and so do many others I know.
pinga
Once, I had a summer job, where I had to single-handedly move mountains from one spot to another.

It was pretty difficult.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Cb4rabid
I dont understand summer jobs. Why can't you go to school and have a job year round? I do it and so do many others I know.

depends on how much time you have to spend on schoolwork, some have to work harder than others.

I worked for a solar panel company for six months (the company dissolved after that). The work really wasn't that hard, because I was assembling parts for jobs, not going up on the roof. It paid really well too.
banned
Quote by Dreadnought
Once, I had a summer job, where I had to single-handedly move mountains from one spot to another.

It was pretty difficult.

Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

also, the most physically demanding is probably roofing. doesn't sound like much, but unless you've done it you have no idea how savagely hot a roof gets in the middle of august. I did it with my uncle once and could barely get through the day from the heat.

There is nothing more miserable than knowing you have to move a literal ton of shingles onto a roof.
im told landscaping is probably the most intense in terms of actual physical exertion. never done it, but I've seen a few friends who started the job as thin little twigs end up completely ripped at the end of a summer of landscaping

Depends on what "landscaping" job you have. If you spend all summer tearing out landscapes and installing new ones, then yes, you are going to be ripped as shit. But just sitting on a riding lawnmower all summer won't do much for your figure.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by TheChaz
I'm working full time, and I'm a full time student doing my math and physics courses before I transfer as an EECS/Computer Engineering major. Sure, I probably won't be able to still be working full time once I transfer, but I'll still have to have a part time job. How else would I have money?

by working one of these fine manual labour jobs during the summer

If a person can't live off like 10-15k for 8 months they are spending too much lol

Everyone is different but, I hate working and going to school at the same time, they are totally different mindsets. Im working and upgrading some courses right now and it is ghey. Id rather be doing one or the other, so a summer job is alluring to me.

Its also a great mental break from all the school work.
Quote by The Spoon

Last edited by British_Steal at Mar 10, 2014,
Quote by British_Steal

by working one of these fine manual labour jobs during the summer

If a person can't live off like 10-15k for 8 months they are spending too much lol

Everyone is different but, I hate working and going to school at the same time, they are totally different mindsets. Im working and upgrading some courses right now and it is ghey. Id rather be doing one or the other, so a summer job is alluring to me.

Its also a great mental break from all the school work.

10k would cover rent, car insurance, and part of the food bill for 8 months. 15k would be a little more reasonable, but still might not be enough. I want to have minimal debt when I leave University.
Quote by TheChaz
10k would cover rent, car insurance, and part of the food bill for 8 months. 15k would be a little more reasonable, but still might not be enough. I want to have minimal debt when I leave University.

Fair enough man,

in Alberta, student loans are interest free until 6 months after finishing school so thats 3 (for me anyway, 5 if your doing a degree) summers to pay things off with no interest. Im not too worried about it because Im living at home as well.

If your in the states though I totally understand. School is stupid expensive there. Its not cheap here either but its way more affordable than over there.

Still, working a summer job and cutting back hours during school is sure easier than working a lot while in school.
Quote by The Spoon

Last edited by British_Steal at Mar 10, 2014,
Quote by British_Steal

If I made 15 grand in four months I wouldn't even be going to school, I'd just do what ever the hell it is you do over the summer to make such ridiculous amounts of money.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Quote by bifteksupernova
If I made 15 grand in four months I wouldn't even be going to school, I'd just do what ever the hell it is you do over the summer to make such ridiculous amounts of money.

45k annually isn't exactly a high paying job...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by TheChaz
10k would cover rent...for 8 months

some of you guys are so lucky
pinga
Page 1 of 2