Struggling to understand how to use tabs.

I can read the tabs ok, but I have no idea where to put which finger on the strings. I mean, I can put whichever I feel is most comfortable and natural, but that doesn't mean it's the same as putting them in the best place to play the tune.

Do I just have to muddle through like this, or are there any other clues? I have tried watching other players on tube, but they go too quick.

Same goes for the right hand too.

Thanks.
And this is why starting with tabs isn't a great idea, not that it's your fault.

One of the most effective ways to do it is to look for chord shapes within the notes and use those as your base, working on a one finger to one fret guideline.

However you need to be relatively familiar with your open and barre chords to make use of that technique - if chords are still a bit of a mystery to you then it's not really much use to you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok, I see.

I have been practising three chords for about ten days, and fancied seeing if I could tab a simple tune.

Maybe I'll go back to my chords!
Most tabs aren't gonna include exact fingering. If you find something really awkward to play - you can rearrange the tab and use the same notes on other strings. Most people who use tabs do this, as playing styles vary and fretting in a tab usually includes a lot of guesswork from the tabber (often times the tabber just figured out the notes and can't actually play the song, so the tab layout might not be great).

This sort of thing will just come with more experience and I can only suggest to adjust the tab if necessary and play it the most comfortable way for you personally.
ok, I didn't really want to give up tabs.

I've been practising D, E and A chords, and getting a little better, but I also fiddle about trying to play by tab, 'Lagrima', a tune you'll all be familiar with, I'm sure.

It's such a sweet little tune, I just want to have a go! And I have been! Not exactly like a pro, but hey, no-one's looking but me.

But I do have a question after my rambling.

At one point in the tune, you need to put pinky on the first string 12th fret and then 3rd finger on fourth string fret eleven - that's not the problem, I find.

What is a problem for me is that the ;inky wants to fall over and sit on its string on its side, as it were. Makes for a messy playing style.

Any ideas how I can bring pinky more upright like the other fingers?
Quote by Pimmy Jage
ok, I didn't really want to give up tabs.

I've been practising D, E and A chords, and getting a little better, but I also fiddle about trying to play by tab, 'Lagrima', a tune you'll all be familiar with, I'm sure.

It's such a sweet little tune, I just want to have a go! And I have been! Not exactly like a pro, but hey, no-one's looking but me.

But I do have a question after my rambling.

At one point in the tune, you need to put pinky on the first string 12th fret and then 3rd finger on fourth string fret eleven - that's not the problem, I find.

What is a problem for me is that the ;inky wants to fall over and sit on its string on its side, as it were. Makes for a messy playing style.

Any ideas how I can bring pinky more upright like the other fingers?

OP I suggest you go through this course.

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php
Knowing which fingers to use half experience, half knowledge. Take the melody several notes at a time and figure out which fingerings work best.

I suggest starting on your scales, as most melodies will use the same basic fingerings you find in scale and chord patterns.
This is a general rule of thumb i use - If you don't know how to best finger it then you're not ready to play it.

Before anyone flames me I'm not saying to not play something if you don't know the fingering etc etc, but chances are that if you're unsure how to finger something you're probably going to struggle a whole lot and not going to be able to play it all that great.
I'm not going to flame anyone - the tabs I have have got the fingering on them. I don't understand the whole tab markings or whatever they're called, but I do have a reasonable start.

atm I'm trying to memorise the tabs - I have much polishing to do, but that will be the next thing.

I want to play this great tune, and I will!