My band has been a big rollercoaster (just like many other bands) and it started as a solo project by me doing all instruments and hiring vocalists (we're playing power metal with high pitched vocals) but with time people have been demanding me to play live, so I've actually found another guitarist, bassplayer and a drummer.

They're all good! Ideally I'm the second guitarist, but there's no ****ing singers around!
So after much thinking I thought "**** it, I sing myself" and we auditioned a guitarist. I'm a quite good singer, but it's not what I wanna do in this band, and know there ARE better singers out there, only that we live in a small crowded area with even less talented musicians.

Now the problem is he's not really up to my standards; he IS good, but we need two virtuosos and not one great guitarist and one who don't wanna play complicated solos.

We got our first gig booked not too far away, and have a music video in the works.

Problem is; we can't have him forever...

The music video could be done with me on vocals and guitar, even tho I can't do that live. I will still record a lot of guitar solos even tho I will sing on the album too, because guitar is my passion; vocals is something I do because there's no other talents around here, hahaha!

The video has to be done; the gig doesn't. It's a local gig and would probably only attend friends and a few others, so not a big deal if we skip that.

So... How could I tell him he can be in the band temporarly until I find a real singer and can do the guitar myself again?

We had an audition and I accepted him, without thinking it through so much.

He seems to be a good positive guy too, so it's NOT personally. It's all his limitations as a virtuosic guitar player...

Aaaa, this sucks! Help
Last edited by Uncovered at Mar 10, 2014,
I mean, I COULD continue singing but I could also find a better guitarist.

But it's hard to find members around here so I don't know what to do really...
If that's what how the situation is you should just tell him. I've had to do the same to other people, i have had the same done to me, and i have had the reverse happen to me (where i thought i was just a temporary replacement, but they wanted me in the actual band). The longer you wait, the worse it'll be. I don't think anyone would be happy if they spent time in a band only to know that from the start the position was temporary, i know i wouldn't.

He might not like it, and he might quit right away as you tell him. But atleast that is the right thing to do, you can't hold him in the band just cause you are waiting to find someone else to take into the band and then kick him.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Yeah I guess that's the way to do it!

I have told people they're not up to standard before, I have no problem doing that. Some have accepted it and even said themselves they know it, but some other dude was calling me in the middle of night drunk as a skunk crying like a baby that he couldn't be in the band... Haha! I think that might have made me softer, because I am a well-willing person and want the best for everybody. It's a good thing, but can also be a pain because I don't follow my own visions and do way too much compromises...

But I have ALWAYS auditioned personally, eye-to-eye.

This time was different; I thought why not invite him to a band rehearsal... Big mistake... I don't wanna say stuff like that to somebody in front of everyone on the first try.

I will see what I can do! And the quicker the better, I know that. thanks anyway.
Last edited by Uncovered at Mar 10, 2014,
If you don't want him in the band, kick him now. No point in delaying it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Problem we can't play the gig if we kick him right away. That's why I want to have him at least for this gig :P

As said also the gig is not super important because we wont have trouble getting more.

He learns songs super fast and plays them well but can't play complicated solos.
And we don't have much complicated solos right now, but we will have on future albums (which are mostly already written but not recorded)
Why do you have to have two lead guitars? Why can't he play rhythm guitars (if he's good at it)? He obviously does his best if he learns the songs 'super fast'.
Maybe You could work on singing any playing simultaneously and just have him as a third guitarist. Work the solos around the vocals. Or vice cersa.
Quote by Uncovered
Problem we can't play the gig if we kick him right away. That's why I want to have him at least for this gig :P

As said also the gig is not super important because we wont have trouble getting more.

He learns songs super fast and plays them well but can't play complicated solos.
And we don't have much complicated solos right now, but we will have on future albums (which are mostly already written but not recorded)

Still a bit of a douche move, in my honest opinion. You are essentially keeping him in the band for a longer time so you can do a gig which he is looking forward to doing just so you can kick him afterwards, in which case the gig won't matter to him anymore. He will have put more time and energy into doing it just so that he can be kicked afterwards, like if has past his "best before" date.

If you are going to kick him, do it beforehand. Don't keep him for selfish reasons or for the rest of the bands sake. Or atleast tell him about it and let him make up his mind if he wants to do one last gig.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Uncovered

Excellent, you can sacrifice the gig and stop being a dick. Just kick him now.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Don't keep him around and make him learn your shit and waste his time on it, just to kick him after that one gig, you dick.

Kick him now if you want him gone.

If you don't, and wait 'til this one gig is over to drop him, don't be surprised when he rocks up to wherever you rehearse and wrecks your shit.
Everybody is temporary. Treat every musician you meet with dignity and respect even if you think you will not be working with them very long. Even though he doesn't have the chops for this particular project you may very well meet again and he will always remember how he was treated. He may become the AR business manager at the label you wish to record with 5 years from now. Never burn your bridges.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
You just can't treat people like that, and I think you know it.

If he's learning things quickly it is because he is working at it and taking it seriously. If there is no way ahead with you and him you are seriously wasting his time and commitment. Someone with a good attitude like this deserves to be treated well. That means telling him as soon as possible and apologising because you messed up. We all mess up, it's about how you deal with it.
Why can't you play and sing at the same time? Or, why can't the other guitarist just do the solos, and have this guy on rhythm? But i guess that won't work if you wanna go back to being a guitarist. I think you need to tell him quick, because you are basicly being a douche to him.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I think you've got an ego problem, and I think you're probably not as good at guitar as you think you are.
Quote by Uncovered

So... How could I tell him he can be in the band temporarly until I find a real singer and can do the guitar myself again?

This is a conversation that should have happened right up front at the ad looking for a guitarist.

There's no way around pissin' him off, or hurting his feelings. if you got to give up a gig because he quits, that's called taking your lumps... Also, there's no way around hurting your reputation as a band leader.. Again, "Taking your lumps"

Keep him or kick him.. there are consequences for both. I know if a band did that to me, I'd walk away from it saying to my self something like, "I'll make sure that punk never works in this town again..."

What ever you decide, learn from your mistakes... They're going to happen...

As always.. JMHO..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
if you are going to be paying him for the shows, (like you should be), tell him that you really would like him to play the shows, but be honest that you might go into a different direction soon.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.