I have never played the guitar before and wanted to start. However, a lot of the songs I hope to play one day are for 7 string. Should I start by learning how to play 6 string and then transition to 7? Or should I just start right away with a 7 string?
The Spanish Inquisition
First of all, I have no experience playing 7 string guitars. But I can share some of my experience when I stared out.

When I started out my guitar teacher insisted I started playing acoustic.
I didn't like this one thing, I wanted to play Metallica right off the bat.
Looking back I'm eternally grateful I made my first baby steps in guitar land on an acoustic.
Acoustics take a bit more strength in the fingers to play properly. Starting out with proper technique helps you out in the long run, something starting acoustic did for me.
After 6 months I was ready to move on to electric and could start to learn the Metallica I always wanted to play. I still like to switch back to acoustic a lot. Right now I'm back at acoustic playing because I secretly loved it more than I dared to admit

This story is hard to connect to yours but I'll draw some similarities that might help you out.

-I think a good seven string is more expensive than a good 6 string which is still more expensive than a decent acoustic (you can argue about this though)
-Starting out with a seven string might make you want to learn too fast and skip essential parts of your guitar technique.
-Playing guitar made me look at music entirely different, I discovered a lot of awesome music by not playing stuff I actually wanted to play (sounds strange huh).

So I guess it depends on the commitment you want to make. Starting to play guitar is a pretty long and time-consuming journey. I noticed your goals might change on the way. It would be a total waste to spend money on a 7 string if you gave up before you could make use of it, or just to find out you like playing different stuff after all.
If playing 7 string songs is your only motivation I guess it could be the way to go!

As you see it depends entirely on you as a person. You might be able to borrow an acoustic from a friend to start you out. After a few months you will be able to make a better thought trough decision.

Sorry for adding a third option to the table.
Feel free to not listen to a word I said though!
TS I was in the same spot as you when I first started. I had a list of 20 or 30 songs that I wanted to learn, but for all of them I needed either a 7 string or a baritone 6 string. I started with a 6 string and then moved on to a 7, and I think that is the easier way. Once you get used to a 6 string, it's not hard to add one more string to it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Thanks for the opinions guys, really helpful! I talked to one of my friends who plays and he also recommended starting starting on a 6 string which is what I think I will do.
The Spanish Inquisition
Quote by Memory
When I started out my guitar teacher insisted I started playing acoustic.
I didn't like this one thing, I wanted to play Metallica right off the bat.
Looking back I'm eternally grateful I made my first baby steps in guitar land on an acoustic.
Acoustics take a bit more strength in the fingers to play properly. Starting out with proper technique helps you out in the long run, something starting acoustic did for me.

Ditto. x2

then....
now...
I suppose you *could* just go ahead and buy a seven string, but they do feel quite different compared to a six string. I think it would be best to buy a versatile six string that allows you to play other stuff than metal too.

I know, I know, metal 4 life and such. When I started playing I listened to nothing but heavy downtuned metal music (and I still do). Now that I want to learn some blues, I'm happy I have a guitar that can handle blues. Most metal guitars aren't too good at other genres, whereas pretty much any humbucker guitar with proper pickups can do well in metal and other genres too.

By the way, I wish you good luck on your guitar journey. Those first months are quite magical - going from not being able to play anything on your guitar to playing Seek and Destroy's rhythm guitar is a splendid experience
Yeah
Last edited by TehDutchDude at Mar 12, 2014,
I'd have to suggest that you go for a 6-string first. This is coming from someone who skipped a 7-string to go for an 8-string.

Starting with an ERG will make it more difficult to pick up the instrument. The first few months (...or even the first year) is rough enough. I think it's not a good idea to make it harder just to save a few hundred dollars by not buying a 6-string.

You didn't mention anything about saving money from buying one less guitar, though. If that's the case, then that's all the more reason to get a 6-string first. I find that guitarists who play on ERGs trend towards being a little more technically complex than average, so even if you get a 7-string right off the bat, you still won't be able to play their pieces.

As mentioned, you could probably get away with buying a 7-string. You may have more fun with an ERG since there's an extra string to noodle on. I won't lie; it's really fun to just chug on a 7-string. You can theoretically play with downtuned songs in B standard, so there's less hassle if you're willing to learn songs after shifting their licks around. Just make sure that you won't get caught up with learning songs that are too difficult for your level and start with the basics if you do get a 7-string first.
Quote by Nobody Expects
I have never played the guitar before and wanted to start. However, a lot of the songs I hope to play one day are for 7 string. Should I start by learning how to play 6 string and then transition to 7? Or should I just start right away with a 7 string?

Personally I would say if more than 3/4s of the songs you want to learn are for a 7 string, just start on a seven. It'll be a bit more expensive but not too bad. Agile and Schecter are decent budget sevens and if you're interested I'm sure the Electric Guitar forum has more suggestions.