So I'm in a lecture for my module where we've got to create a sound art thing and my lecturer is showing us a piece he made. Basically he found himself in one of those moments on holiday where everything is vivid and perfect and beautiful and then he started taking photos of it.

Afterwards he wondered why on earth he'd done that.

Would you have taken the photos? why? what is a photo to you?
I wouldn't have because I don't own a camera

Photos are nice though, something to stare at while you procrastinate from doing anything in your life
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I would have. Sometimes I think things look so beautiful or inspiring that it's worth trying to share it with others.

If a photo is good enough you're sharing more than a picture, you're sharing an experience.

#hippy
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
There's photo's that really inspire me. Take a photo of the nature in Norway for example. there's so many of those that I made up my mind that I'd like to visit that place. which I probably am with a friend summer 2015.

Then there's pictures of my mom. who died, so of course those mean a lot to me. It might seem weird but it's hard to remember how she looked without photos.

Also I make photo's myself. not professionally, but just random photo's with friends or at a festival (don't worry, not the guy who watches the show through his cam. Just take 1 photo from every band just for the memory)

When I feel nostalgic I'll go back to those pictures, check em out and think about those good times.

Photo's are a great way to back-up a memory
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I'm not so interested in photos with people in them because then it's really easy to infer what they're about

this dude in his moment of bliss took a photo of some moss

what made him think that was a really good way of containing that moment? I WANT TO UNDERSTAND THIS IMPULSE
Taking a picture of moss is a little harder for me to understand, granted.

But maybe when you're there and you get the whole setting, things are different?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by willT08
I'm not so interested in photos with people in them because then it's really easy to infer what they're about

this dude in his moment of bliss took a photo of some moss

what made him think that was a really good way of containing that moment? I WANT TO UNDERSTAND THIS IMPULSE

Probably instinct. I don't think he really THOUGHT "I HAVE TO TAKE THIS PHOTO" I think it was more of automatic *grab camera: "click"* thing.
Which is why some people are good at photography, and others are not.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I take pictures of pretty things and things I want to look at for more than a few seconds

Maybe the moss was pretty or he wanted to look at the moss for a while because it made him think and feel in a good way. I'd take a picture of moss too
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Mar 11, 2014,
Quote by eGraham
Taking a picture of moss is a little harder for me to understand, granted.

But maybe when you're there and you get the whole setting, things are different?

Well afterwards he took the photos that he took, decided they weren't good enough representations of what they were supposed to be showing/making him feel he decided to distort them, map them onto spheres and then use pictures of those spheres to make sound

So like yeah, i'm one of these people that doesn't take photos, don't keep albums or anything. Photos don't really seem like they're good at what they're supposed to be doing to me. And so I'm wondering what it is about the ways some people think or feel when looking at photos that's so different that keeping hundreds of photos becomes something they don't think twice about

I don't really know if anyone could actually tell me what I want to hear but yeah
Quote by willT08

I don't really know if anyone could actually tell me what I want to hear but yeah

If he can't tell you, don't expect us to be able to :P
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
A way of rubbing it in that I've visited so many cool places and my friends haven't.
a waste of time. i rarely care about a photo really. specific ones perhaps. but people getting inspired from a photo I don't understand. perhaps it's something wrong with me.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I take photos exclusively of food, myself, changes in weather and pets.

Do you post in on social media and add a filer, after which you add as a caption #nofilter ?
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Ali, photos and what they are reminds me of when we were talking about authorship the other day
Actually I think I titled the thread wrong because yeah what I really care about is what's different about people like me and people who like photos and why does that come about

guys i'm trying to get an idea for sound art out of this please be as pretentious as you can
I don't "get" photos and never take them. If I need to take a photo to have something to remember it by, it probably wasn't that great in the first place.
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
Do you post in on social media and add a filer, after which you add as a caption #nofilter ?

Would you even respect me if I said I don't?

Quote by willT08
Ali, photos and what they are reminds me of when we were talking about authorship the other day

I have much less understanding of putting meaning into a still photo. I tend to just work on the technical stuff. So what they remind me of is just technique and glass, which I still suck at so bad.
I only take pictures when on holiday usually, so I think photos are about capturing memorable moments so you can look back on them any time.

In terms of people taking photos of you at parties or clubs or whatever, that seems pointless to me because nobody looks at them apart from facebook stalkers and only hot girls have facebook stalkers to worry about.

So uh yeah, photos for me are about capturing interesting/memorable things
I have nothing important to say
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Would you even respect me if I said I don't?

My respect for you is very large my friend
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
people who go to live shows and just spend their entire time there taking pictures instead of enjoying the show are hilarious. that's all i know about photos really.
i don't really take photos. i'm rarely interested in seeing specific scenery or anything more than once. and if i do want to see it again, there are probably pictures everywhere online that are more numerous and professional than what i could ever take, and the fact that it may not be the same exact thing i saw (or that it doesn't have me in the shot grinning stupidly at the camera) makes little difference to me.

Quote by fanapathy
I don't "get" photos and never take them. If I need to take a photo to have something to remember it by, it probably wasn't that great in the first place.

i feel very much the same way.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
i look at photographs

every time i do it makes me laugh
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
i look at photographs

every time i do it makes me laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDgs1iroYyY

somewhat off-topic

found this jew of a comment on tht youtube video

"****ing ******s u guys are sooo ******ed for this parody you make this song look so bad and i hope nickelback shoots you for it!!!! GAHHHH!!!"

Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Mar 11, 2014,
Just a feeling.

I sometimes make photo's, though I don't take that many to justify buying an expensive HD one.

I sometimes see shit and it can take an entirely different entity just by perspective.

Some examples;

There's this one wall with this kind of plant growing on the wall, but the way the sun shines on it it has colored to pink leaves. I took the camera sideways as if the wall is the ground, and it' looks like surreal pink plant/trees because of how close-up it is.

That was a coincidental one..

Another picture I took I was in a forrest at night, and there was big lightning storm. I paid a friend 5 euro's to repeatedly do martial arts kicks, and filmed it for 20 minutes, until a lightning flash in the background illuminated him as a black shadow on a purple (lightning) background, then went through all the frames to get the best one.

This was a concept I thought of at that moment.

So I guess it's feeling/idea/concept not that much different as music.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Taking a photograph spoils the moment to some extent.

You're there and you want to live the experience it there and then. Taking a photograph forces you out of the present, makes you think about lighting and framing.
Photography is one of my hobbies. It's many different things to me.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I only like to photograph people without them being actively posing for the camera, it's the best way to catch expressions and the real feel of the moment (basically I'm shooting away without them knowing when, but not in the creppy way - they know I'm taking photos here and there, just not the exact moment. I end up deleting most of them and keep only the best though). "Planned" photos where everyone is looking at the camera trying to get their best pose feel fake to me.

I also do some close-ups of nature, trees, animals and such, but that becomes boring rather quickly.

Don't get the wrong idea though, it's just what I do when I get a decent camera in my hands, not like I'm trying to be a photographer or anything of the sort. I barely even use the camera on my phone besides taking pictures at codes or texts that I'm too lazy to write.
I never take photo's just to 'remember' or just to show others where I've been. I take photo's because I think it'd make a nice picture.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by captainsnazz
I would have whacked some mics out and recorded the moss instead

m8 you'd love the result of what he did, I wish it was online somewhere

but it was sick, described it earlier