I'm sorry if there's a thread for problems regarding English grammar. I tried a quick search and didn't find one.

"You need not be a kickass dude superman firefighter blablabla."

The bolded part in such context. A friend of mine wrote that and it sounds kind of wrong in my ear. Then again he is a really smart dude and one of the best English students in our high school. Someone else mentioned the subjunctive when I asked her about this.

None of us are native speakers.

Right/wrong/how?

Thanks!
-J-
"need not" is perfectly fine, but a bit more formal.

"You need not be ...." or "This need not mean..." are both acceptable, but in normal conversation most would say "You don't need to be..." or "This doesn't need to mean..."

When writing I prefer "need not", just because it's shorter, which is helpful if you're writing longer complex sentences.
Just write it however you want grammar doesn't really matter in my experience non 'native' speakers care a lot more than us english natives do. Hell, just look at popular music and the horrid grammar..."the most loneliest day of my lifeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!" *makes millions*
Quote by derkym
Just write it however you want grammar doesn't really matter in my experience non 'native' speakers care a lot more than us english natives do. Hell, just look at popular music and the horrid grammar..."the most loneliest day of my lifeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!" *makes millions*

This guy has a point but don't listen to him.
Quote by metaldud536
That's pretty correct. I think you can also say "You need not to be..."

That changes the meaning of the sentence though doesn't it? "You need not be" is more like "you don't have to be" and "you need not to be" is like "you shouldn't be"
cat
Quote by guitarxo
That changes the meaning of the sentence though doesn't it? "You need not be" is more like "you don't have to be" and "you need not to be" is like "you shouldn't be"

Uh, no. to doesn't change things into a negative it's just a infinitive marker.
Quote by derkym
Uh, no. to doesn't change things into a negative it's just a infinitive marker.

I've never heard/seen "you need not to be" before but I think what she's saying is that it would mean that the thing you need is "not to be", which does make sense but I think it would depend on how you're saying it.
I think it more sounds weird because "you need not be", is rather formal and then you followed it with "a kick-ass dude" which sounds like a line from some stoner movies
Quote by Bad Kharmel
I think it more sounds weird because "you need not be", is rather formal and then you followed it with "a kick-ass dude" which sounds like a line from some stoner movies

yea, a little bit. although there is always a time and/or place for funny juxtapositions like this. but if you used it in normal conversation it would raise eyebrows.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Bad Kharmel

Yeah, also this. It's perfectly fine grammar but it's not consistent in terms of style.
Yeah the latter part of the sentence was completely made up with no intent to fit stylish context

So it's called a subjunctive?

Flipping it around "Need you not to be..." is wrong?
Quote by fc89konkari
Yeah the latter part of the sentence was completely made up with no intent to fit stylish context

I would have no idea what you were trying to say by that phrase.
Quote by fc89konkari

I'm not sure but I think the subjunctive is something else. It's a verb tense. I think "you need not be" is just using "need" as a modal verb.
It's correct and you needn't be would be the same.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.