Hello everyone, I am wondering the difference between a Minim, Semibreve and a rest of the same length. I do not understand why rests are added, when a 2 beat or 4 beat note could be used in place?

I am going through my old guitar books re learning to read music, as I suffered a head injury after being hit by a car, and then turned to alcoholism, so am re learning from the beginning due to lost memory.

Thanks for any answers to a probably stupid question, Conan.
Rests are there to indicate silence. If there is a note completing the bar, it indicates you sustain the note for that duration. If there is a note followed by a rest, it means you stop sustaining that note and keep silent for that duration.
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Ok I get you, so I would let the Minim ring out for 2 beats, then the Semibreve for 4, but if after the note there is a rest I will mute it?
Thanks for your answers, I'm sure Il get back pretty quickly, I can read tab well and play okish, but at the moment am going through my old books, they are so simple I feel a bit like an idiot, but I suppose got to start again somewhere .
Thanks for the Image there, slightly confused though, I thought a Minim was the note that is like a crotchet but not filled in completely if you get me, and the semibreve was the note that looks like a O slightly tiled to the right on sheet? Or am I on the right track, but they are both just a measurement of time, and the note rings out and the rest is the same length of time but silent?

Sorry if this is hard to understand, I know in my head what I mean, but it doesn't always come out right lol.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Exactly.

Thank you, probably a very simple question that most people know, but im glad I do too now .

Do many others here read music, or just use tab?
Quote by conanwarrior
Thank you, probably a very simple question that most people know, but im glad I do too now .

Do many others here read music, or just use tab?

I used to use tab before, but learned to read sheet music after starting to play piano. I could easily live without them, though. Reading music just makes it faster to learn some songs. Knowing music theory is important. Knowing how to read music, not so much if you ask me.
Thanks for your replies, hoping I will be back to my old standard soon! I wan't amazing, but I was happy with the level I was at. I definitely need to get up on my theory, don't know where to start though. I cannot afford a tutor at the moment, due to being out of work from said problems.

Any good sites out there I can learn some theory?

Thank you again, Conan.
I read drum music pretty well. It's the same thing but instead of pitch it indicates which drum sound to use. It's all about rests and timing, something which tab is useless for. The only major difference to standard sheet music is that the duration of notes isn't relevant, so you never see ties for example. By the way, if you didn't figure it out by now, the lengths of the notes and the lenghts of the rests combined together should always add up to the bar length. So if you have three quarter notes followed by a rest, it will be a rest for one quarter note (ie one beat).
Last edited by innovine at Mar 11, 2014,
Quote by innovine
I read drum music pretty well. It's the same thing but instead of pitch it indicates which drum sound to use. It's all about rests and timing, something which tab is useless for. The only major difference to standard sheet music is that the duration of notes isn't relevant, so you never see ties for example. By the way, if you didn't figure it out by now, the lengths of the notes and the lenghts of the rests combined together should always add up to the bar length. So if you have three quarter notes followed by a rest, it will be a rest for one quarter note (ie one beat).

Yeah, I have got there . I'm having slight trouble with different time signatures though.

I managed to get 3/4 down the other day, and that might sound simple, but due to my problems it isnt.
I need to find some videos helping with time signatures, I WILL get there, I know I can, and music is my current focus in recovery.

Thank you all.
Last edited by conanwarrior at Mar 23, 2014,