So here's my question, hope some "experts" on sound might be able to help...

how do/can i compare 2 similar sounds to determine how they diifer?

Say, for example, if i wanted to "see" what an open e chord sounds like on a gibson vs a fender?

and by "see" i mean something concrete other than an "interpretation" of the sound (when we hear it)

any thoughts appreciated...
Open up a recording of both in a DAW, get a free spectral analyzer and look at what frequencies both are producing when they play the same thing. Then you can literally see the difference and talk about it scientifically
Plug into a DAW via an external interface, load up a live EQ plugin, play an open E chord on both guitars and take note of what frequencies are most apparent on each.

Or something. Never done it myself but I don't see why that wouldn't work. If you can't see which frequencies are most prominent, you should be able to do some EQ cutting or something and figure it out by ear.

EDIT: How'd I know you'd beat me to this, Will?
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Mar 11, 2014,
Actually you can do everything I just said in Audacity I'm pretty sure, use that if you're not really a tech savvy person with the DAW's and all
Any RTA will do this as well.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
You can also use iZotope RX, which interprets the frequency spectrum using depth of color.

You can also use it to isolate and play back a selected band of frequencies.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Use whatever spectrum analyzer you have at your disposal, plus an oscilloscope.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Wait, why would you want to "see" the sound?

Are you considering buying a new guitar and want to know how they will differ as a way of helping you decide what to buy? If yes, then you don't need to see the sound, you need to play the guitars. Feel the difference, the sound can be shaped by amp & effects etc.

If you have other reasons, feel free to ignore this post.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Wait, why would you want to "see" the sound?

because he wants to do a real comparison, sounds like he's doing it for some kind of academic purpose
Quote by willT08
because he wants to do a real comparison, sounds like he's doing it for some kind of academic purpose

I hope you're right & I'm wrong, yours is the far more logical reason for wanting this.

Logic doesn't always happen in the pit though
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud