I've got an American Standard Fender, however, a couple of days ago the e-string broke, and therefore I made the decision to restring my guitar. I choose a bit thicker strings than the fabrication strings. After I had strung it I noticed my bridge was floating unhealthy high. I decided to tighten all the claw screws to the maximum, because it's really the only thing that keeps the bridge tight and nice. However, I am not too experienced with setting up the Stratocaster, so I am a bit worried. Everything works fine at the moment, but a standard tuning will make the bridge float just a bit, which I know isn't anything bad at all, but the strings feel very tense and it's more of a challenge to bend them than before. Is it just something that comes with a change to thicker strings, something to get used to?

Is it "healthy" for the guitar with screws tightened to the max? Will it cause too much pressure, and so on?
Quote by simonpaa
I've got an American Standard Fender, however, a couple of days ago the e-string broke, and therefore I made the decision to restring my guitar. I choose a bit thicker strings than the fabrication strings. After I had strung it I noticed my bridge was floating unhealthy high.

That tends to happen when you switch to thicker strings...until you do a proper setup, that is.

I decided to tighten all the claw screws to the maximum, because it's really the only thing that keeps the bridge tight and nice. However, I am not too experienced with setting up the Stratocaster, so I am a bit worried.

You have 2 options. Either pay someone to set up your guitar for you. Or find a good video on Youtube that shows you how to do it (note: must be step-by-step). It's good to learn how to do it yourself, but I can understand that someone who is new to guitar would be more comfortable with letting a professional do it.

Everything works fine at the moment, but a standard tuning will make the bridge float just a bit, which I know isn't anything bad at all, but the strings feel very tense and it's more of a challenge to bend them than before. Is it just something that comes with a change to thicker strings, something to get used to?

I assume that you mean the bridge floats in E standard (from lowest to highest: EADGBe)? That shouldn't be happening. The bridge saddles should be resting lightly against the plate. So...like so:

Notice how the saddles are actually touching the plate here?

The thing about thicker strings is that they have more tension. More tension means more pull. So, you need to set your guitar up properly. Otherwise, you risk permanent damage to the neck and bridge.

Is it "healthy" for the guitar with screws tightened to the max? Will it cause too much pressure, and so on?

No, those shouldn't be tightened to the max. You may need to tighten them a bit. But not all to the max.

Another thing, which is important...intonation. Get on Youtube and look up videos on "how to adjust guitar intonation". If the intonation of your guitar is good, it will sound better.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 11, 2014,