Are mac mini's quality? I mean as opposed to a full size desktop? Im looking at this guitar center deal-

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Apple-The-Complete-Recording-Studio-with-Mac-Mini--MD387LL-A--109576025-i3328954.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CJ77tf6Fi70CFYZafgodz0sA_Q&kwid=productads-plaid^18283950120-sku^109576025@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^27490280802

Would this really be that good? The price seems to good to be true. Thoughts?
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
Im an idiot so you will have to copy and paste the link
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
http://

there is the clickable link
-corey taylor
I'd rather get a more powerful mac mini plus whatever monitor plus different interface/speakers/interface/mic/daw even if I had to spend a bit more.

Plus, next time use the edit button on the bottom right of your posts, and the second link doesn't work either.
And, you don't need most of that link, the important part's just this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Apple-The-Complete-Recording-Studio-with-Mac-Mini--MD387LL-A--109576025-i3328954.gc
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Mar 11, 2014,
Short answer: yes. Yes they are. Especially if you already have a monitor around. Drop another $200 on Logic Pro and you're in business! Make sure to upgrade your ram to the max as soon as you can afford it and the machine will last a long time.

Edit: oh yeah but don't buy that stupid bundle, most of that is garbage. Make your own bundle of good stuff. Start with a refurb mini straight from apple, then but some better value interface/mics, and you'll save so much cash and get much better recordings.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Mar 11, 2014,
Thanks man!!
-corey taylor
I have a friend that has been happily plugging along on a Mac Mini. He does full productions - audio and lots of midi and it seems to handle it well. He uses Logic and Garageband. The reason for Garageband is that he composes a lot of his "starter" tracks on his iPhone and then transfers them over.
I use a '12 Mac Mini as my main machine - spec'd it up to the highest processor available in one at the time (3.6GHz turbo-boost quad-core i7) and a 256GB solid state drive, but kept it at the stock 4GB RAM and bought two 8GB RAM sticks from crucial.com instead and fitted them myself (really easy on the newer models) because Apple wanted £240 for the upgrade to 16GB RAM... the RAM I bought is apple approved, but not their own, and it cost me around £70 incl. postage

Definitely a good way of getting into the Mac domain with more bang for your buck than an iMac (where you pay a premium for the nice screen and the body design) or the Macbooks (which have less power and now no longer have FireWire ports either).

I already had an iMac from '08 so I took the keyboard from that (it's better than the wireless ones anyway, as they don't have the num pad or some of the additional keys, meaning you have to hold down an extra function key to get to some shortcuts etc. ) and I bought a 'Magic Trackpad' after playing with one before and liking it, so I have that and a wireless 'mighty mouse' depending on what I'm doing on screen.

Then I hooked it up to a HD tv I no longer used, for a while, until I had the spare cash to buy two 24" Samsung HD monitors which I now run instead. Total setup cost me about £1,500 I think, including the two monitors which were £110 each in a 50% off sale.

I would just recommend you decide how much you're willing to spend on a monitor(s) and remember you need the keyboard and mouse/trackpad, then use what's left of your budget to get the highest spec Mini you can afford, but if you have to choose between RAM or processor speed/cores, upgrade the processor as high as you can because RAM is cheaper and easy to install yourself at a later time.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I use a '12 Mac Mini as my main machine - spec'd it up to the highest processor available in one at the time (3.6GHz turbo-boost quad-core i7) and a 256GB solid state drive, but kept it at the stock 4GB RAM and bought two 8GB RAM sticks from crucial.com instead and fitted them myself (really easy on the newer models) because Apple wanted £240 for the upgrade to 16GB RAM... the RAM I bought is apple approved, but not their own, and it cost me around £70 incl. postage

Definitely a good way of getting into the Mac domain with more bang for your buck than an iMac (where you pay a premium for the nice screen and the body design) or the Macbooks (which have less power and now no longer have FireWire ports either).

I already had an iMac from '08 so I took the keyboard from that (it's better than the wireless ones anyway, as they don't have the num pad or some of the additional keys, meaning you have to hold down an extra function key to get to some shortcuts etc. ) and I bought a 'Magic Trackpad' after playing with one before and liking it, so I have that and a wireless 'mighty mouse' depending on what I'm doing on screen.

Then I hooked it up to a HD tv I no longer used, for a while, until I had the spare cash to buy two 24" Samsung HD monitors which I now run instead. Total setup cost me about £1,500 I think, including the two monitors which were £110 each in a 50% off sale.

I would just recommend you decide how much you're willing to spend on a monitor(s) and remember you need the keyboard and mouse/trackpad, then use what's left of your budget to get the highest spec Mini you can afford, but if you have to choose between RAM or processor speed/cores, upgrade the processor as high as you can because RAM is cheaper and easy to install yourself at a later time.

There's a full-sized version of the wireless keyboard that's the same price as the mini one when you buy a new Mac, most people just don't realize you can choose a different keyboard when ordering. Same with the Trackpad.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
There's a full-sized version of the wireless keyboard that's the same price as the mini one when you buy a new Mac, most people just don't realize you can choose a different keyboard when ordering. Same with the Trackpad.

Ah right, didn't realise (maybe they introduced it since I ordered mine in Feb '12 as I don't recall seeing that option?) and do you mean a larger trackpad or that it's available with the Mini - I got mine with the Mini, but if there's a bigger version I think that was more recent and probably in line with when they changed the Macbooks again. Fair enough, though
Hey, look. Sigs are back.