Page 1 of 4
We're all familiar with the typical "annoying 14yo metalhead," the "sensitive highschool kid with the acoustic that gets all the girls," the "Nirvana noob," but what are some others that get on your nerves you don't typically hear about?

For me:

The Psyopus-fan (or similar band):

You don't know what I mean from description, but you've seen these fags. They start early as metalshredfags but then start getting obsessed with obscure techniques and music, getting into bands like Psyopus, Chon, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc.

They favor technicality over music or tasteful songwriting. If the song isn't all senseless wanking on Dissonant or 9th chords, it's not music to them. God forbid you play a sus2 in their presence, they'll rip you a new asshole.

Fun thing: try to ask them about guitar tone- they don't know what the fuck it is

The "I've grown out of metal" guy:

Yeah yeah, I was was at this point at once. Of course, thankfully I at least accepted my influence was too metal-oriented to play anything else without sounding like a douche.

These are the guys who try to ditch metal and rock for a better self image, and try to learn either blues, jazz, fusion, classical guitar, bluegrass, etc. Regardless of how hard they try their metal influence bleeds through and everything they play just sounds like a complete joke.

As big of a joke as Metallica attempting a country track on Load with "Mama Said," probably the best comparison I can make.
I think the second "stereotype" isn't actually that bad. I mean tastes just change over time.
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
the 'shut the **** up ian' guitarists that hang out at online forums
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by captainsnazz
ones that play guitar and think tunes have to have notes in them and shit

^ L M A O

agre with evrythin

I pretty much grew out of alot of the shred metal stuff i used to play and write. Now I pretty much play alt rock and technical u2 type stuff so it can happen.
Quote by angusfan16
Annyong

Annyong
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Ian_the_fox
We're all familiar with the typical "annoying 14yo metalhead," the "sensitive highschool kid with the acoustic that gets all the girls," the "Nirvana noob," but what are some others that get on your nerves you don't typically hear about?

For me:

The Psyopus-fan (or similar band):

You don't know what I mean from description, but you've seen these fags. They start early as metalshredfags but then start getting obsessed with obscure techniques and music, getting into bands like Psyopus, Chon, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc.

They favor technicality over music or tasteful songwriting. If the song isn't all senseless wanking on Dissonant or 9th chords, it's not music to them. God forbid you play a sus2 in their presence, they'll rip you a new asshole.

Fun thing: try to ask them about guitar tone- they don't know what the fuck it is

The "I've grown out of metal" guy:

Yeah yeah, I was was at this point at once. Of course, thankfully I at least accepted my influence was too metal-oriented to play anything else without sounding like a douche.

These are the guys who try to ditch metal and rock for a better self image, and try to learn either blues, jazz, fusion, classical guitar, bluegrass, etc. Regardless of how hard they try their metal influence bleeds through and everything they play just sounds like a complete joke.

As big of a joke as Metallica attempting a country track on Load with "Mama Said," probably the best comparison I can make.

I hate both of these crowds, yet I exist right on the fringes of both with my love of prog-rock.

But seriously, I still have yet to meet a guitarist in this town younger than I am whose idea of tone is anything more than "make it as distorted/"indie" as possible".
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
One annoying stereotype for me is people who learn a shitload of music theory but never bother much with actually learning techniques.

They ramble about how much theory they know and how that helps them play, but then they play bland and boring chord progressions and nothing else.

Also, those indie bands who play 3 note solos and think that adding vibrato to each note is going to make it impressive.

These probably aren't even stereotypes, just things I hate but whatever.
I have nothing important to say
What does the fox say?

Ann ann ann ann ann yong yong annyong
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
The "I've grown out of metal" guy: Reminds of Michael Akerfeldt. Before you start white knighting him. Heritage sucks balls, go play some real progressive death metal. It seems like they purposely avoid death grows these days. He even said in one interview on UG front page, that he hasn't heard any decent metal since the current decade. Bitch please, I love your music and I'm a fan but you're not looking hard enough.
The "I record stuff" guy. Spends like a month in the studio only to upload a single crappy track to soundcloud.

I knew plenty of these in high school.
Quote by Genrecore
It seems like they purposely avoid death grows these days.

akerfeldt cant growl for shit anymore
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by TheTrainToMars
The "I record stuff" guy. Spends like a month in the studio only to upload a single crappy track to soundcloud.

This is a good one. To add to it: The people who say they are recording a full album and then come out with a 10-15 minute EP.
I have nothing important to say
If you're past the age of 16 and have played the guitar for more than 3 years and you AREN'T the "I've grown out of metal" guy then you're an idiot.

My most hated are the "I don't need theory I play with feel" guys.
Last edited by macashmack at Mar 11, 2014,
there are only shitty immature ones and not-so-shitty-and-immature ones
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
from ignt to arrogant gearhead

does it do metal?
zomg line6 spider is brewtal
ive got a dean dimebag with lightning and whammy so i rule....

6 months later

youre nothing unless you have a halfstack
only 2 grand guitars are good
scooping is the only way
emgs with metalzone

1 year later..

what you need is a new amp
do you even boost your mids?
3k boutique amps are the best sounding
custom guitars out of african elephant hoof are for pros
Quote by macashmack
If you're past the age of 16 and have played the guitar for more than 3 years and you AREN'T the "I've grown out of metal" guy then you're an idiot.

My most hated are the "I don't need theory I play with feel" guys.

Pretty much...
Quote by Genrecore
The "I've grown out of metal" guy: Reminds of Michael Akerfeldt. Before you start white knighting him. Heritage sucks balls, go play some real progressive death metal. It seems like they purposely avoid death grows these days. He even said in one interview on UG front page, that he hasn't heard any decent metal since the current decade. Bitch please, I love your music and I'm a fan but you're not looking hard enough.

They just got tired of that sound. It shows in Watershed.

Oh, I hate everything Ian says. That's about as much discussion as I can give on that.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by captainsnazz
ones that play guitar and think tunes have to have notes in them and shit

noises > notes

but 'edm' is boring because they are too fixated on boring sounds
The '' I mostly play prog'' guy who only plays on the chromatic scale with lots of delay and cheap multi effects.

Maybe not that common, but I know a few of them.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by JackSaints
This is a good one. To add to it: The people who say they are recording a full album and then come out with a 10-15 minute EP.

Haha yes very true. I forgot to mention that they talk about it nonstop before even having done anything. Like Murderface's Planet Piss.
fuck offffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Quote by Good_Lord
The '' I mostly play prog'' guy who only plays on the chromatic scale with lots of delay and cheap multi effects.

Maybe not that common, but I know a few of them.

Its amazing how many people say the play prog bexause they have a song longer than 3 mins

The expression shred seems now to be used for anyone playin guitar over 70bpm
Quote by willT08
fuck offffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

i like that there are spaces where you would have to take a breath and then continue
I'm a young jazz player and I know all my chords and scales and claim to practice more than I do just to impress others.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
i like that there are spaces where you would have to take a breath and then continue

- - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by Ian_the_fox

The "I've grown out of *insert genre name*" guy.

Ftfy

As if changing your musical tastes makes you more mature. People change their tastes all the time for so many different reasons-- I don't know why anyone needs to actively promote or try to convince others that they have grown as a person based on what they listen to.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by TheTrainToMars

Pretty much me until I can get a good lineup.

But hey, better to have your material fully recorded ahead of time that way when you bring in shitty members who are overly insistent on writing can flat out CAN'T, they can't change shit or insist on making it simpler so they can play it.

That to me is how a lot of bands fail, they have one weak link in the chain that they don't have the heart to kick out because of friendship but is slowing and manipulating the bands progress and sound to an absolute crawl due to his lack of writing and/or playing skills.

That's why I've been careful to not even hire people that come off like that from the start.

Quote by Burgery
akerfeldt cant growl for shit anymore
Akerfeldt could never really growl that good. Or play guitar that well. He's probably one of the most overall mediocre and overrated musicians in modern metal with everything he does. Writing, playing, and singing.

I have no idea why so many kiss his ass in every last aspect with everything he does and act like he's the second coming of Christ to metal.

Quote by Genrecore
The "I've grown out of metal" guy: Reminds of Michael Akerfeldt. Before you start white knighting him. Heritage sucks balls, go play some real progressive death metal.
I love it when 16 year old metalfags rip on Heritage because of it's lack of screaming.

Don't worry, soon will come the day when you grow up and learn to appreciate music other than that that's nothing but screaming and growling and distorted shitty chug riffs. Musical closed-mindedness doesn't last for all of us at least.
If I was to change the genre of my band, I may as well just change the band's name too.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by Ian_the_fox

I love it when people rip on Heritage because of it's inherent lack of anything interesting.

Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Page 1 of 4