Fifth logician: “I don’t know.”

Sixth logician: “No.”

Who gets coffee and why?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
1 - 5. I win.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
The first 5, because they would know if they didn't want coffee, and would have then said not everyone wants coffee
The waitress gets coffee.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
I get coffee cause I am drinking a mug right now. I like coffee because it has a bold flavour and aroma that arouses my senses. It is also a social drink as I can ask someone to come with me to get a cup and then we can socialize.

~mint
question: do you all want coffee?
"i don't know" * 5 = 0.5 * 5 = 2.5
"no" = 0

2.5 + 0 = 2.5 < 6/2
so the answer to "do you all want coffee?" is no
so nobody gets coffee

hmu if i'm right

EDIT: ACTUALLY NOPE
1-5 get coffee
because
#6 says no cos he knows not everyone wants coffee cos he doesn't
but the others only know that they personally want coffee

hmu if i'm right
Last edited by captainsnazz at Mar 11, 2014,
The question fails to specify whether said coffee was tasty or a frappe, so you really cannot tell.

Everyone that answered the poll is wrong.
Quote by captainsnazz

EDIT: ACTUALLY NOPE
1-5 get coffee
because
#6 says no cos he knows not everyone wants coffee cos he doesn't
but the others only know that they personally want coffee

hmu if i'm right

Quote by Saint78

nobody because that's how logic works. if all parts of a conjunction are not true (or yes in this case), the conjunction is false. so nobody gets coffee
^But there's two separate questions: will the individual have coffee and will all individuals have coffee. The answer to the first only affects the second if the individual opted not to have coffee so "I don't know" to the latter equates to "I want coffee but I don't know about the others."

Quote by Spoony_Bard
The waitress gets coffee.

Lol, nice.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Mar 11, 2014,
Quote by progdude93
nobody because that's how logic works. if all parts of a conjunction are not true (or yes in this case), the conjunction is false. so nobody gets coffee

Incorrect.

That's what I thought at first, but that's from the wrong perspective. The last guy is saying "No, not everyone wants coffee." He's not negating the statement "everyone wants coffee"
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by progdude93

What? If any of the first 5 logicians didn't want coffee, they'd know that the answer is "no".

The negation of "they all want coffee" is "not all of them want coffee", and not "none of them wants coffee".
Quote by sickman411
What? If any of the first 5 logicians didn't want coffee, they'd know that the answer is "no".

The negation of "they all want coffee" is "not all of them want coffee", and not "none of them wants coffee".

the waitress didn't say "do some of you want coffee," she said, "do ALL of you want coffee." she expressed an all-or-nothing proposition, and since the answer is not all, the answer is nothing.
1-5 could've wanted coffee.

She asked "do you all want coffee?"

The first five guys didn't know since it was impossible to know until everyone else answered. The sixth and final person came to the conclusion that they don't all want coffee because he knew he himself did not want coffee and he was the last of the group to reply, making the answer "no."

It's possible that any of the 1-5 wanted/didn't want coffee though but we'll never know since they all died shortly after in an armed robbery at the diner. Sad, sad stuff, really.

That's what happens when you work in a state where marijuana is legal.
Last edited by Shawn1379 at Mar 12, 2014,
Quote by progdude93
if p=everyone wants coffee

then ~p=not everyone wants coffee

Right.

Not everyone wants coffee.

^Nah he's just saying that not everyone wants coffee, because he knows for certain that he doesn't.

The rest is true about dying and marijuana though.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Last edited by eGraham at Mar 12, 2014,
We are assuming follow up questions, there is a degree of real-worldlyness to this scenario.
Quote by Saint78

Quote by Shawn1379
It's possible that any of the 1-5 wanted/didn't want coffee though but we'll never know since they all died shortly after in an armed robbery at the diner. Sad, sad stuff, really.

That's what happens when you work in a state where marijuana is legal.

E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by eGraham
Right.

Not everyone wants coffee.

but the waitress didn't offer to give coffee to some of them, she offered to give coffee to all of them. since not all of them want coffee, none of them get coffee
Quote by eGraham

^Nah he's just saying that not everyone wants coffee, because he knows for certain that he doesn't.

That's what I said though.

Quote by Shawn1379

The first five guys didn't know since it was impossible to know until everyone else answered. The sixth and final person came to the conclusion that they don't all want coffee because he knew he himself did not want coffee and he was the last of the group to reply, making the answer "no."
Quote by progdude93
but the waitress didn't offer to give coffee to some of them, she offered to give coffee to all of them. since not all of them want coffee, none of them get coffee

She's asking "Do all of you want coffee"

The last guy is saying "No, not all of us want coffee" because he knows certainly that he does not.

He isn't saying "None of us want coffee"

Quote by Shawn1379
That's what I said though.

My bad
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by progdude93

The waitress just asked if everyone wanted coffee. She didn't make any offer.
As the maker of lattes, it seems reasonable that you get the final say.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
She's asking "Do all of you want coffee"

The last guy is saying "No, not all of us want coffee" because he knows certainly that he does not.

He isn't saying "None of us want coffee"

Sentence: do you all want coffee?

Translation: does P1 AND P2 AND P3 AND P4 AND P5 AND P6 want coffee?

Due to the rules of conjunction, when not all parts of the conjunction are true, the conjunction is false. I understand that ~(everyone wants coffee) =/= everyone does not want coffee. But since she's making the offer for coffee as a conjunction (which is an all-or-nothing proposition), if there is even a single one of them that doesn't want it, then none of them get anything.

I understand that you're saying the first 5 guys said "I don't know" because they couldn't answer for everyone else, but because the last guy said no, and because the waitress asked a conjunction, the conjunction as a whole is false and nobody gets coffee.
But proggy-froggy, what nutty restaurant doesn't serve people because one person doesn't want it?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
@progdude: Yeah but she's not making an all-or-nothing offer. I don't know where you got that from. She's simply asking if they all want coffee. Naturally, she'd bring coffee to whoever wants coffee because that's what waiters do.
Quote by sickman411
@progdude: Yeah but she's not making an all-or-nothing offer. I don't know where you got that from. She's simply asking if they all want coffee. Naturally, she'd bring coffee to whoever wants coffee because that's what waiters do.

"Do you all want coffee?" is succinctly different than, "Would any one of you logicians want coffee for yourselves?"
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Quote by Zaphikh
"Do you all want coffee?" is succinctly different than, "Would any one of you logicians want coffee for yourselves?"

On these terms this is really easy, because she did not say she would get them any coffee. So we have no reason to believe that anybody is getting any coffee or that any coffee even exists, just that the first four logicians want coffee.
Quote by Saint78

My poll question should've been "Who wants tasty frappe" to fit with the question more accurately. But I'm not making another thread now.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by Zaphikh

Sure, I understood that. Do you also think, like progdude, that no one gets the coffee?
Quote by ethan_hanus
None of them, then they proceed to walk outside and get stabbed by a hobo from Amsterdam just looking to party and crash at a strangers houses.

You are so much better than I remember you.
Quote by Zaphikh

Yes, but "Do you all want coffee?" is sufficiently different than "Do you all want coffee? If so, I will bring you all coffee, if not then I will not bring any of you coffee." If you assume that addition, then yes, the answer is nobody. But why would you?

Way to take a simple thought problem and turn it into a circle jerk, prog.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by sickman411
Sure, I understood that. Do you also think, like progdude, that no one gets the coffee?

If I were the waitress, I'd cut into the third logician's, "I don't kn-" with, "Fuck all of you, I don't have time for this."

I mentally pictured the logicians to be a party of Mr. Pinks, so I suppose there's a personal bias against their indecisiveness. There were probably several hungry people roaming the streets that could have been in need of the small caloric intake that was squandered over their state of affairs.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Page 1 of 3