when i hammer on, on any fret, I get two sounds, coming from both sides of the string -- towards the bridge, towards the nut.

how do i fix this? i feel so discouraged to go on since i can't afford a tech or a new guitar.

please help

EDIT: Also, when I do vibrato and bends, I can hear the upper string getting hit because it goes under my finger and hits the fret and the noise comes up, it's horrible.. This can't be normal...
Last edited by MahoganyMan at Mar 12, 2014,
The pickup will pick up the side towards the bridge so you should be okay.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Shouldn't be a big issue -- happens with any string that isn't damped behind the fretted note. The pickups should pick up only the sound on the bridge side, and most acoustics will favor the sound on that side (bridge side) as well. YOU hear both sides of the string because your ear is closer to the neck, most likely. That side CAN be damped (it's a technique thing), either with your fretting hand or with one of those hair scrunchies <G>.

It's not a guitar issue and it's nothing that a tech could fix.
So this happens with every guitar out there?

How the hell do I hammer on from 0 to 12+ frets then if it always rings the note behind it?

This happens with the lower frets too, like 2 and 1...

Also, when I do vibrato and bends, I can hear the upper string getting hit because it goes under my finger and hits the fret and the noise comes up, it's horrible.. This can't be normal...

well... 250 views and 3 answers ._.
Hey MahoganyMan,

This will happen with every single guitar out there. You're creating two nodes on the other side of the string as well, between the nut and the preceding fret. You're okay, though. On electrics your pickups will only pick up the side between the fret and bridge, the other will not be amplified.
Okay, thanks for the reply, justrooster and everyone.

Is there at least any way to decrease this noise? A little bit at least?
EDIT: Without using a hairband, is that possible? Maybe with some setup?

Though the hairband idea is really good. And it gives me a good reason to show off my chest and biceps, by removing my shirt and using it on my guitar.
No. You're always going to be creating two nodes, thus, a place for the string to vibrate. The only way to counter is to make the string not vibrate.

Again, it only happens on electrics in a noticeable volume when you're playing in a quiet room unplugged.
Technique, muting, dampening, acceptance.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

I guess if your action was really high it might ring out more? Like, if the neck had a lot of bow in it and the string was completely off the board on the backside, and you didn't mute it with your hand, it could really ring out.

Take a look at the setup thread, you can do basic setup stuff yourself and it would fix any serious issues like that. I doubt that's the case though. More likely is you just need to change the angle you're hitting the string and maybe mute the backside of the string with another finger when you're hammering on.
I don't get it.

Are you hammering on with the first finger.

I typically hammer on with the first finger fretting a previous note . For example if i play on the low e, the 5th A, and hammer on B with my 3rd, the sound backwards can only travel as far as my first finger?

Are you hammering with just the first?

*EDIT*
Re-read and noticed your comment about vibrato.

Poor or not, save you money and get a setup. Sounds like your action is high anway; may be legit other issues. I played expensive guitars that were setup like shit and my 300 copies fell 100% better because they were setup right-
Last edited by boyd98 at Mar 13, 2014,